Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino remote control project

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sgraves

sgraves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

Electronics have always been of interest to me, but I just recently decided to take the plunge. Very glad I did and very glad to find such an awesome device like the Netduino.

So my first project will be to create a universal(ish) remote control for some HTPC software that I've been writing. Universal(ish) because I initially only intend to support volume and mute on external IR devices. I decided to start a site in order to track my progress: 

https://sites.google...uinoremote/home

The project will encompass most of the features supported by the Netduino (UART, SPI, I2C, etc) as well as a 3D printer tutorial. Thought this may be beneficial for other beginners such as myself. Most of the research I've done on this project has pointed to this forum in one way or another, so I figured this would be a good place to share.

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:50 AM

You might find the Linux IR project useful.

Interesting timing, I've been working on an IR remote for my DSLR:

Nikon D70 Remote Control

Nikon D70 with added modulation

Adding a button and EEPROM to the Nikon D70 Remote

I've been using an alternative microcontroller for this project.  My initial aim is to put together an intervalometer for the camera.  I was then wondering about making this more universal (I've started putting some comms in already and can trigger the camera from the PC).

I've got to the point where I've transferred the circuit from breadboard to protoboard.  PCB is next.  If that works I was going down the same route as yourself and looking at 3D printing.  I was working on using an iOS app for the trigger which requires Bluetooth.

My project is definitely going down the STM8S route at the moment though.  I'm interested to see how you get on with the Netduino.

Good luck with the project.,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

Here you can find either IR-transmitter and IR-receiver using any Netduino. 

Currently, the library ships with the Lego, Sony-SIRC, RC5 and Samsung codecs, but the library yields you to implement virtually any kind of protocol by setting a few parameters and defining the message shape.

http://highfieldtale...m/tag/infrared/

If you want to see some concrete application, just have a look at the Laurent's blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/laurelle/

The repository for the library is here:

http://cetdevelop.codeplex.com/

Hope it helps.

Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#4 sgraves

sgraves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

Here you can find either IR-transmitter and IR-receiver using any Netduino. 

Currently, the library ships with the Lego, Sony-SIRC, RC5 and Samsung codecs, but the library yields you to implement virtually any kind of protocol by setting a few parameters and defining the message shape.

http://highfieldtale...m/tag/infrared/

If you want to see some concrete application, just have a look at the Laurent's blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/laurelle/

The repository for the library is here:

http://cetdevelop.codeplex.com/

Hope it helps.

I've come across this project several times while searching for examples and plan to incorporate it into the project. Prior to doing so, I will take a stab at solving the same problem myself, just for a more solid understanding of IR.

I'm actually toying around with the idea of moving IR handling into a standalone breakout board, perhaps using a PIC micro (similar to USB IR Toy), and exposing some type of serial API to communicate with it. That's further on down the road, of course, but would make any future project plug-n-play IR-capable.

#5 sgraves

sgraves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:04 AM

You might find the Linux IR project useful.

Interesting timing, I've been working on an IR remote for my DSLR:

Nikon D70 Remote Control

Nikon D70 with added modulation

Adding a button and EEPROM to the Nikon D70 Remote

I've been using an alternative microcontroller for this project.  My initial aim is to put together an intervalometer for the camera.  I was then wondering about making this more universal (I've started putting some comms in already and can trigger the camera from the PC).

I've got to the point where I've transferred the circuit from breadboard to protoboard.  PCB is next.  If that works I was going down the same route as yourself and looking at 3D printing.  I was working on using an iOS app for the trigger which requires Bluetooth.

My project is definitely going down the STM8S route at the moment though.  I'm interested to see how you get on with the Netduino.

Good luck with the project.,

Mark

I'll definitely keep tabs on your progress. I fully expect the 3D printing piece to be quite a challenge, if not the most challenging aspect.

Ideally, the Netduino would be replaced by a more current friendly design, such as yours; however, for my purposes and current level of expertise, it's a great place to begin. I estimate having to charge the remote at least every 1-2 days, but haven't calculated actual current draw quite yet.

I've seen posts regarding eventual power management functionality being incorporated into the firmware. I'm sure this would help quite a bit for mostly idle devices such as this.

#6 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'll definitely keep tabs on your progress. I fully expect the 3D printing piece to be quite a challenge, if not the most challenging aspect.

For the 3D design I was going to give the new CAD software by the creators of DesignSpark a go.  You are supposed to be able to feed your PCB layout into it and it will use that as a starting point for the 3D enclosure.  There's a FabLab nearby so I can always give it a go with their printer.

Power consumption was also my concern.  Still not sure if I will use AA or AAA batteries or go for the coin cell.  I suppose it depends upon the final direction of the project.  Could end up self contained unit or a unit with Bluetooth LE control from iOS, or both.

Interesting you mention serial.  I've gone down that route as it will allow me to use the RedBear Bluetooth LE module.

Regards,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#7 sgraves

sgraves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:15 AM

Power consumption was also my concern.  Still not sure if I will use AA or AAA batteries or go for the coin cell.  I suppose it depends upon the final direction of the project.  Could end up self contained unit or a unit with Bluetooth LE control from iOS, or both.

You've definitely piqued my interest regarding the STM8 and STM32. I'll have to give them a go in a few more months. Looks like an STM8S discover board is only $7.84. Cool stuff. Thanks!

#8 hunsgtys

hunsgtys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

awesome,  I just bought an IR remote to start to learn from it, seems interesting , I think that i will figure it out

#9 TareqGamal

TareqGamal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

I want exactly:

but all of the above is not complete.

even this one is just an Idea but no code.

https://sites.google...uinoremote/home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.