Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

NP1 Ethernet Receive Buffer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bernd

Bernd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hello,

does anybody know the size of the Transmit and Receive buffer of the NP1 ? I want to communicate via UDP with the NP1. The UDP packet has 512byte and so I  wonder this will work, or I have to take care to send only packets that are not larger as the receive buffer.

I read the documentation of the ARM7, but I don't understand the relationships of the fifo buffer with 28byte to the receive buffer. The receive buffer consist of several buffers with a length of 128byte. But how does this buffer communicate with the fifo buffer ?

#2 ziggurat29

ziggurat29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

I don't think the ethernet has a buffer per se like, for instance, the serial port.  Looking at the source, the packet buffers are allocated as needed via netbuf_alloc(), which takes a size parameter.

IP fragmentation will handle reconstituting your UDP datagram up to it's max size (64k), from the much smaller IP fragments.  Obviously, achieving that maximum will be a stretch for the netduino, but my point is that limit is a soft limit.  I would think you'd be fine with a couple K, and it would be interesting to hear results from some practical tests.

#3 Bernd

Bernd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Ok

Thanks ziggurat29 for your fast answer. I have googled about the netbuff_alloc() and I think you are right. At the moment I am very busy but than I have free time, I will make some tests about that with different size of packets. I will give you a feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.