Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Home Automation

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Mike L

Mike L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

Hi Mike,

What would you recommend in terms of hosting MQTT? I have played on my laptop with RSMB and Mosquitto. I ideally want to have MQTT running on my home server so I can access it from any of my home automation devices as this will be the central point where all messages are handled.

Many thanks,

Andy

I recommend using the Mosquitto windows installer since it gives you the option to install as a windows service.  That way it will always be available for you to use as long as your server is up.  

#22 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

Cool thanks Mike, I will give it a whirl. Just getting to grips with server 2012 and hyper V.

#23 NetMF54791

NetMF54791

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

@mcinnes01 Hello If you want an home automation system, take an existing, recent, established and power standard like KNX! There are also open source software availbale to control KNX sensors, switches, and other devices... but KNX is the way to go.

#24 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

I have posted an update on my blog...

#25 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

Hi Andy, Wow, you've been busy :) Are you planning on hard-wiring all your home automation? Chris

#26 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yes all the automation will be hardwired back to my 2 main distribution boards. It uses a fair amount more cable than usual but just provides a much more maintainable approach when its all in. Sadly my once nicely plastered walls which I was hoping to not need to do, now all need replastering. That being said I wouldn't recommend this approach unless you are building a house from scratch or are doing a full on refurb.

On top of all the electrical cable I am also running a kilometre of network cable in. Again I have 2 racks, one by each distribution board that will house a 96 bay patch panel each and a 48 port POE switch. The plan is to run CAT5 every where for sensors and any distributed intelligence. For example some of the CAT5 although terminated to the patch panel will then split off to my own control boards to carry signals from sensors like PIRs, temperature sensors and perhaps even carry control voltages for things like actuators. One idea I've had is to either get electronic Radiator valves that I can retro fit or the slightly more invasive approach which is to fit valves inline with each radiator. This way I can use ternperature sensors and motion detectors as well as my own granular time patterns to control my central heating. 

What I am doing is running a lot of CAT5 everywhere, some in the ceilings some in the floors etc, a lot will be unterminated but there for when I want to use it. Also I have 2 gang RJ45 faceplates everywhere as I will be using CAT5 for phones, web connections etc etc.

#27 Josh Hawley

Josh Hawley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

It has been most of a year. Are you still working on this? Would love an update =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.