Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Unable to communicate with Netduino Mini

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

I've got myself into a state where the mini doesn't appear to be responding. I've spend a lot of time trying the suggestions on this thread: http://forums.netdui...e-v411-alpha-3/

At this point, I have performed a full erase (Connect 3.3V or 5V power to the gold ERASE pad which is next to pins 11 and 12), so this may eliminate some options.

Currently, I am using the 5v FDTI Basic module from SparkFun, with the RX/TX wired to pins 1 and 2 respectively. I've tested with powering the Netduino using either the 5v from the module and a 9v battery. Per Quiche31's suggestion, I've run "
C:\Program Files\ATMEL Corporation\SAM-BA v2.10>sam-ba_cdc.exe com3 at91sam7xc512-ek > log.txt
" which yields:

-I- Waiting ...
-I- TCL platform : Windows NT
-I- SAM-BA CDC 2.10  on : windows
-I- Retrieved arguments from command line :
-I- argv 0 : com3
-I- argv 1 : at91sam7xc512-ek
-I- argv 2 : 
-I- Connection : com3 (target(comType) = 3)
-I- Board : at91sam7xc512-ek
-I- Traces Level : 4
-I- target(handle) : fileafdf60

Is the 5v FDTI module was suitable for this? How should I go about attempting to resolve this?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi Joey, If you erase your Netduino Mini completely (using the ERASE pad), you'll need to reprogram it using the RS232 port (pins 1, 2). The FTDI cable is 0V - 5V, not -12V to 12V like RS232. You'll need to use a USB-RS232 cable (or a standard RS232 serial cable with jumper wires) to reprogram your Netduino Mini via pins 1 and 2. BTW, if you get locked out of your program you don't need to completely reflash your Netduino Mini. If you apply 5V power to pin 3 while powering up the Netduino Mini, it will go into "bootloader" mode where you can erase your Netduino Mini app, update firmware, etc. Chris

#3 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:46 AM

Thanks for the info. After tracking down an older machine with a COM port, I was able to successfully load the bootloader and firmware. Now, MFDeploy can ping it successfully in RS232 mode. However, when reconfigured to UART , I receive a "No response from device" message. I've got RX/TX going to pins 11/12 and GND and 5V wired accordingly. On the FDTI Basic, I can see the TX light flashing, but not activity on the RX. When attempting to use TeraTerm (configured 115200 baud), I receive no response after pressing Esc. I'm hoping I didn't fry anything in while reloading everything. Is there anything I might be able to do differently to figure out what's up? Thank again for your help

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for the info. After tracking down an older machine with a COM port, I was able to successfully load the bootloader and firmware. Now, MFDeploy can ping it successfully in RS232 mode. However, when reconfigured to UART , I receive a "No response from device" message.

How are you trying to reconfigure the Netduino Mini to use UART instead? If you've erased the Netduino Mini, you'll need to load the TTL firmware or load the RS232 firmware and the "Netduino Mini Transport Selector" C# project...which will then give you the "press escape to select transport" option.

I've got RX/TX going to pins 11/12 and GND and 5V wired accordingly. On the FDTI Basic, I can see the TX light flashing, but not activity on the RX. When attempting to use TeraTerm (configured 115200 baud), I receive no response after pressing Esc.

Just to verify...have you already switched the Netduino Mini over to using COM1 (pins 11/12 -- 3.3V TTL UART) instead of COM2 (pins 1/2 -- RS232 UART)? You will get no communication on pins 11/12 until you've either loaded an app or switched over to TTL UART deployment.

It sounds like your Netduino Mini is fine...let's see what we can do. [Also, you may want to make sure that your FTDI adapter is still okay. From earlier in your post, I believe you stated that you plugged it into the -12V/12V RS232 pins; I'm not sure if it's rated for those voltages.]

Chris

#5 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:51 AM

And we're back in business. There were two things I failed to realize that your last post cleared up. First, I thought I needed to download the RS232 firmware because that's how I was going to deploy the firmware. I now realize that the version relates to the configuration of how you want to deploy projects, and both firmwares can be deployed over RS232. Second, I thought the ability to select your transport was built into the firmware. I now understand that it is just a project that needs to be deployed. Awesome. I can't say how happy I am with your help. Thanks Chris!

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:02 AM

Glad that you're back up and running, Joey. I look forward to seeing what you build with your Netduino Mini! Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.