Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

VS Problem, Fake error with Netduino Plus.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

I was going nuts with VS and it's constant Hardware problem messages. After restarting, reseting, and erasing the current app it was still not working... so I finally found it.... If you have the System.Xml reference in your project VS will give you the fun: "An error has occurred. Please check your hardware". Remove the System.Xml and all should be fine. Now this is quite the pain in the butt because I was quite exited when I thought I could use the System.Xml .... but just like the cake, it was a lie, I could see it and couldn't eat (use) it. Chris does VS have any way of refusing a reference? That would be helpful so these weird situations can be prevented. FIXED: The project was too big and could not fit on the netduino.

#2 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

You can't have System.Xml and (I think) System.Legacy.Xml at the same time, one replaces the other. IF that's what happened.

#3 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

You can't have System.Xml and (I think) System.Legacy.Xml at the same time, one replaces the other. IF that's what happened.

AW I wish >_> Nope I don't have both references, just the System.Xml.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

How big is System.Xml? This may be a case of the full project not fitting in flash--and Visual Studio giving you a generic error. Chris

#5 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

How big is System.Xml? This may be a case of the full project not fitting in flash--and Visual Studio giving you a generic error.

Chris

15K, I'll try to remove unused references and maybe it will let me use it...

EDIT:
Never mind that... I can't remove anything :( . Well I'll have to find another way to parse data out of the website...

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

How big is your entire project (i.e. how many bytes)? Chris

#7 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

How big is your entire project (i.e. how many bytes)?

Chris

I think you're right, here is the output:

Incrementally deploying assemblies to device
Deploying assemblies for a total size of 52688 bytes
Assemblies not successfully deployed to device.
Deployment to the device was not successful.

"Incrementally deploying" - I think thats the hint that it is too big. And I think I have what 48 KB free but that is about 51 KB soooo....

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

Omar, Have you tried the new 64KB firmware for Netduino Plus? It gives you 64KB of flash for code instead of 48KB :) All the Netduino Pluses that shipped this week shipped with the 64KB firmware. Chris

#9 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

Omar,

Have you tried the new 64KB firmware for Netduino Plus? It gives you 64KB of flash for code instead of 48KB :)

All the Netduino Pluses that shipped this week shipped with the 64KB firmware.

Chris

I looked around for it but couldn't find it... may I have a link? Because there are 3 to choose from and I dont know which one it is :huh:

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

I looked around for it but couldn't find it... may I have a link? Because there are 3 to choose from and I dont know which one it is :huh:

Here you go:
http://forums.netdui...ndpost__p__3969

Try the v4.1.0.5 (release version). You'll need to completely erase your 'public beta' Netduino Plus (using the ERASE pad) and then re-flash it with SAM-BA and MFDeploy.

Chris

#11 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:11 PM

Here you go:
http://forums.netdui...ndpost__p__3969

Try the v4.1.0.5 (release version). You'll need to completely erase your 'public beta' Netduino Plus (using the ERASE pad) and then re-flash it with SAM-BA and MFDeploy.

Chris

It deployed! Its nice to have more space, but I got a Not Supported exception, xml isn't liking the Netduino. Oh well I do like the extra space, I'll just figure out a way to fix this xml deal now...

#12 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hey, Chris, Where is the ERASE pad? I can't find any unused pads, unless I am skipping over it thinking it's just a fiducial. For some reason, I have been able to flash my N+ just fine so far without worrying about it.

#13 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Hey, Chris,

Where is the ERASE pad? I can't find any unused pads, unless I am skipping over it thinking it's just a fiducial.

For some reason, I have been able to flash my N+ just fine so far without worrying about it.

If I may answer for Chris... the erase pad on my netduino plus is to the left of the Dig I/O #0 (when the usb power and ethernet are facing away from you) on mine its a little solder ball instead of the netduino's gold pad.

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

Chris, Omar is correct. The erase pad is in the exact same place on the Netduino and Netduino Plus. It's the top-right-most pad on the board (directly below and to the right of digital pin 0). On the first batches of Netduino Plus units, it's covered by a small solder ball. It will be a bare exposed gold pad in future runs... Chris

#15 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

Ok, I found it. I take it that I pull it high to Vcc to erase the MCU?

#16 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:00 AM

Ok, I found it. I take it that I pull it high to Vcc to erase the MCU?

I erase the netduino plus by connecting that to the 3V3... so far its worked perfectly fine...

I just remembered that made a video about this and I used the Plus:

hope that helps.

#17 Illishar

Illishar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

It's a great video, OZ.

#18 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

It's a great video, OZ.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.