Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Is the netduino right for me

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carter05

Carter05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

Here's what I want the netduino to do. Hopefully you all can tell me if this is possible or not. 1. Web page displayed on computer screen. 2. Read analog values and display those values in graphical format on said web page 3. log analog values to create a graph of sorts on web page 4. be able to turn outputs on/off from web page 5. be able to store recipes in a selectable list formaton web page 6. pass variables from data entered in web page fields to netduino. 7. control multiple valves/pumps/stepper motors. 8. How easy is it for a netduino to serve up a dynamic webpage, (analog values changing)? I'm building an automated brewery and trying to find the best .netmf uC for the task. I want this to be a fully embedded solution, I dont want to have to dick with having a DB on a computer or things like that. Any input is welcome :)

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

The Netduino Plus should be capable of that. I've uploaded some simple web server code here and the device seems happy to serve up static files from the SD card or you can dynamically create a html page yourself. This will probably need to be done by creating a string manually, so you'll need to keep it simple. You don't get ASP.NET or anything like that!

There will also be a bit of work storing the data. Probably best to save to file on the SD card.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

Hi Carter05,

The Netduino Plus should work very well for your application. If speed is not a big concern, you can also use the Netduino with an Ethernet shield.

Welcome to the Netduino community.

Chris

#4 pjnowak

pjnowak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

I am working on something very similarly. I have my netduino running my brewery over serial port. On my computer I am then running a wpf application to control my pumps and take in temperature readings. I am still having some problems with reading in the temperature of a thermistor, but should have that fixed shortly. If you would like more information I am willing to help. Or if you would like access to the code, i can get you that as well.

#5 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

1. Web page displayed on computer screen.
2. Read analog values and display those values in graphical format on said web page
3. log analog values to create a graph of sorts on web page
4. be able to turn outputs on/off from web page
5. be able to store recipes in a selectable list formaton web page
6. pass variables from data entered in web page fields to netduino.
7. control multiple valves/pumps/stepper motors.
8. How easy is it for a netduino to serve up a dynamic webpage, (analog values changing)?

Several people have done this already. There is a non blocking listener here and I recently posted a Silverlight client and simple web server project which I'm currently expanding. I'll post more including some screen shots when I finally get the fuller version of the code working.

The approach I am taking is to move as much of the heavy logic from the server to the client desktop (hence the use of Silverlight). I am restricting the N+ to serving up basic files (including delivering the Silverlight application through a simple web page) and responding to commands/serving data from the Silverlight application using the network.

Graphing etc. should all be possible using this approach as we have plenty of space on modern PCs compared to the microcontroller board. Microsoft have a free graphing library available for Silverlight.

Hope this helps,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#6 pjnowak

pjnowak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

Several people have done this already. There is a non blocking listener here and I recently posted a Silverlight client and simple web server project which I'm currently expanding. I'll post more including some screen shots when I finally get the fuller version of the code working.

This makes me want to get a Netduino plus and switch my stuff over to silverlight and a web-server on the Netduino. I only wish there was a WiFi option when it comes to this. As I do all my brewing outside I don't really want to run a network cable all over the house.

#7 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

This makes me want to get a Netduino plus and switch my stuff over to silverlight and a web-server on the Netduino. I only wish there was a WiFi option when it comes to this. As I do all my brewing outside I don't really want to run a network cable all over the house.

I don't see any reason why you can't use WiFi. There is another library which uses wired or wireless networking in the Project Showcase forum. You can find the thread at webserver on netduinoplus wired or wireless library. No reason not to merge the two projects to get what you need.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#8 pjnowak

pjnowak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

I don't see any reason why you can't use WiFi. There is another library which uses wired or wireless networking in the Project Showcase forum. You can find the thread at webserver on netduinoplus wired or wireless library. No reason not to merge the two projects to get what you need.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks, It looks like I might be upgrading to a Netduino Plus with the Wifly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.