Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Mini Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have a Mini hooked mounted to an old Parallax Board of Education Rev A. The mini is interfaced

to an ENC28J60 running Mip0.3. The interface to the BOE is RS232. Everything works just fine and the Mini will stay on the network for several days. When it goes down for

whatever reason, and I try to restart by removing power from the BOE the Mini always comes up in bootloader mode.

Pinging... TinyBooter Bootloader build info: Netduino Mini (v4.2.0.1) by Secret Labs LLC

If I reboot from MFDeploy, it reboots but will not start execution and stays in TinyBooter. The

only way to start normal operation is to reload the program and start debugging. Does this have

something to do with DTR?

Baxter

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hi Baxter, If you attach your DTR pin to GND, does that solve the issue? If it's driven high, then your Netduino Mini will boot into TinyBooter mode. Also, you can use the "Plug-in > ... > Reboot CLR" command in MFDeploy to reboot into the CLR. Or just redeploy the config sector, which should also bring you back up into TinyCLR. Chris

#3 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Hi Chris,

Grounding DTR doesn't seem to have any effect. I tried Clear BootLoader Flag and I could get back to TinyCLR. After Reboot CLR, the program started up again.

Thanks,

Baxter

Pinging... TinyBooter Bootloader build info: Netduino Mini (v4.2.0.1) by Secret Labs LLC Clear BootLoader Flag Command Clear BootLoader Flag Complete Pinging... TinyCLR Connecting to COM13...Connected ------> RebootCLR<------ Created EE. Started Hardware. Assembly: System.IO (4.2.0.0) Found debugger! Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM (4.2.0.1) Create TS. Assembly: SecretLabs.NETMF.Diagnostics (4.2.0.0)  Loading start at 13ed64, end 154648 Assembly: SecretLabs.NETMF.IO (4.2.0.0) Assembly: mscorlib (4.2.0.0) Loading Deployment Assemblies. Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Native (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file. Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware (4.2.0.0) Assembly: NetworkingExample (1.0.0.0) Attaching deployed file. Assembly: System (4.2.0.0) Attaching deployed file. Assembly: NetworkingService (0.2.4727.24658) Attaching deployed file. Assembly: MultiSPI (1.0.0.0) Attaching deployed file. Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Net (4.2.0.0) Resolving. Ready. Setting IP Address to 192.168.0.40 Link is now up :) Updating Gateway Mac from ARP

#4 rzander

rzander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Same problem here, but I'm not able to fix it. :(
I can "Plug-in > Debug > Reboot CLR" and the application starts...[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]"Plug-in > Debug > Clear Bootloader Flag"  and the application starts...[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Redeploy "ER_CONFIG" and the application starts...[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Deploy and debug the App in VS2010...[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]but after reboot (power cycle) the only message I get is:[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"][font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]TinyBooter v4.2.0.0[/font][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"][font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]NetduinoMini Build Date: Sep 19 2012 19:39:48[/font][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"][font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]ARM Compiler version 410894[/font][/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]And the Application does not start... attaching DTR to GND does not help...  Any other tips ?[/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"] [/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"] [/font]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]Roger[/font]

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi Roger, Does this happen with _any_ app? If you just create a "blinky" app do you get the same experience? I would also try erasing the current app via MFDeploy, making sure you're still in TinyCLR mode, and then trying to deploy. That's a not-fun workaround, but let's see if that works first. Chris

#6 rzander

rzander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

It's a "blinky" app like:

public static void Main(){	while (true)	{	Debug.Print(DateTime.Now.ToString());	Thread.Sleep(2000);	}} 

I ereased the app via MFDeploy and redeployed it (via VS2010) without a reboot... App starts, but after next Reboot (power cycle) the app is not starting anymore.  There is nothing else attached to the mini (only RS232 RX/TX to debug and deploy).

Roger

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Okay, it sounds like the app is doing something which is keeping the board from rebooting. It's not necessarily your app's fault...but rather that something in native code land is happening as a result of your code. If you erase the app and then deploy "blinky" over and over again, does everything work fine? If so...we'll need to isolate what code is enabling the issue. And then we can either find a workaround or, preferably, update the firmware so you don't need to change your code. Chris

#8 rzander

rzander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have a 2nd mini which works without any problems... I hope it's not a hardware related problem :(

Even if the application is ereased, the mini that works reports:

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Waiting for debug commands...
??etMF v4.2.0.0
NetduinoMini, Build Date:
 Sep 19 2012 19:40:47
ARM Compiler version 410894[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]TinyCLR (Build 4.2.0.0)[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Starting...
Created EE.
Started Hardware.
Create TS.
 Loading start at 13ed64, end 154648
Assembly: mscorlib (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Native (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.IO (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: System.IO (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM (4.2.0.1)
Assembly: SecretLabs.NETMF.Diagnostics (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: SecretLabs.NETMF.IO (4.2.0.0)
Loading Deployment Assemblies.
Resolving.
Ready.
Cannot find any entrypoint!
Done.[/font]

The broken one reports just:

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]TinyBooter v4.2.0.0
NetduinoMini Build Date: Sep 19 2012 19:39:48

if I trigger a "Clear Bootloader Flag":

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Clear BootLoader Flag Command
Waiting for debug commands...
TinyBooter v4.2.0.0
NetduinoMini Build Date: Sep 19 2012 19:39:48
ARM Compiler version 410894
Clear BootLoader Flag Complete
*** nXIP Program found at 0x0010a000
?.NetMF v4.2.0.0
NetduinoMini, Build Date:
 Sep 19 2012 19:40:47

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]TinyCLR (Build 4.2.0.0)[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Starting...
Created EE.
Started Hardware.
Create TS.
 Loading start at 13ed64, end 154648
Assembly: mscorlib (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Native (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.IO (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: System.IO (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM (4.2.0.1)
Assembly: SecretLabs.NETMF.Diagnostics (4.2.0.0)
Assembly: SecretLabs.NETMF.IO (4.2.0.0)
Loading Deployment Assemblies.
Resolving.
Ready.
Cannot find any entrypoint!
Done.[/font]

is there anything else I can try ??

Roger

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hi Roger, How do you feel about erasing and reflashing the module? There may be some corruption in the configuration sector. If you have an RS-232 connection to your Netduino Mini and want to erase and reflash it...this may clear things up for you. Chris

#10 rzander

rzander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

I've ereased it (gold pad to 5V), redeployed TinnyBootLoader and reflashed firmware 4.2.0.1 but without a change, the module is still not booting up automatically :(

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.