Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Network Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mav29x

mav29x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the microcontroller world and just got my Netduino Plus 2 today. Is there any way to set a hostname for the board so that I can still connect to it over the network without specifically knowing its IP address? Second newbie question - If I want to use a WiFi shield like the WiFly, I understand it needs the WiFly class libraries/drivers (not sure what the official term is) in order for it to work. Where do I get them? Thanks.

#2 Nicky

Nicky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

1st question: No and yes. Netbios naming is not supported by default, but it can be implemented somehow. I know that Netbios naming is a part of mIP-library, but it won't run side by side with the LwIP-stack without modifications. mIP can be found at http://mip.codeplex.com/ 2nd question: I know that .NET Micro Framework Toolbox (http://netmftoolbox.codeplex.com/) has some WiFly, but if thats what you need I wouldn't know - nor if it works.

ntools
TCP Listener (Beta) · FTP Server (Alpha)
Netduino Plus Go Module · Xml Parser
http://ntools.codeplex.com/

#3 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the microcontroller world and just got my Netduino Plus 2 today. Is there any way to set a hostname for the board so that I can still connect to it over the network without specifically knowing its IP address?

Second newbie question - If I want to use a WiFi shield like the WiFly, I understand it needs the WiFly class libraries/drivers (not sure what the official term is) in order for it to work. Where do I get them?

Thanks.

Mav29x,
Welcome to the forum.

I think what you are asking in question 1 is how do you connect to the Netduino Plus 2 from the internet. To do this (without having a static IP address) you will need a Dynamic Naming Service (DNS). There are some that are free and some that charge. A free one is No-IP.org, a pay one that I use is DYNDNS.

The DNS has the Host Name that you pick, then either the router or the computer runs an update routine that looks for an out of date IP, if it finds the IP is no longer good it contacts the DNS and gets a new one. The DNS keeps track of this. If someone goes to log into your host name it routes it to the new IP address, then your router send it to the Netduino, normally using port forwarding.

So to connect to the Netduino you enter something like "YourHostName.com:1035"

The second question, one of the forum members, Stefan has written a lot of good code called NET Micro Framework Toolbox (the link is in Nicky's post), he has the code in both Visual Basic and C# along with samples to show how it works.

Also you search the forum for WiFly and find information on using it.

Chuck

#4 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I am using this class from Huysentruit Wouter.

After your network settings are setup its as simple as this: (just remember Netbios names are limited to 16 characters. First 15 are the name, last is the type).

NameService nameService = new NameService();
nameService.AddName("NETDUINOPLUS", NameService.NameType.Unique, NameService.MsSuffix.Default);

#5 mav29x

mav29x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Cool! Thanks guys! :)

#6 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

I tried the Pascal06 code for name registration (modified to run in a thread) and it works just fine with Netduino Plus 2 (v4.2.2.1),

http://forums.netdui...ic/473-netbios/

C:UsersbebDesktop>ping plus_2Pinging plus_2 [192.168.0.50] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=255Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255C:UsersbebDesktop> nbtstat -cLocal Area Connection:Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.106] Scope Id: []                  NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table        Name              Type       Host Address    Life [sec]    ------------------------------------------------------------    PLUS_2         <00>  UNIQUE          192.168.0.50        482

It is a bit more lightweight than the Huysentruit Wouter code and the code by Nicolas3 is even more compact,

http://www.ghielectr...share/entry/245

#7 eli_08cp

eli_08cp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

hi!!!!

if i justo want to change the name of the netduino on the router, what can I do???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.