Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

N+2 flashing woes - DfuSeDemo crashes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Corey H.

Corey H.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

On my primary machine - Windows 7 64 bit, i had issues going through the flash steps laid out by Chris at : http://forums.netdui...-v421-update-1/

When it got to step 4, 4. Flash the attached .DFU file using the ST DfuSe Demonstrator application (included with STDFU Tester), I found the correct executable : DfuSeDemo.exe, however, upon running it, it would immediatly crash. It did not matter whether or not it was in administrator mode or the many different compatibility settings that I tried, every time, it would crash instantly.

Looking up on the DFuse code, it appears there is a problem with the HID enumeration, or something along those lines. Below are two links that I found along these lines.

https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fpublic%2FSTe2ecommunities%2Fmcu%2FLists%2Fcortex_mx_stm32%2FDfuSe%20Demonstration%20crashes&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580009C4E14902C3CDE46A77F0FFD06506F5B&currentviews=870

http://code.google.com/p/dsonano/issues/detail?id=5

So, I did remove every USB device I could ( including a USB hub) , but I still got the same error. My mouse and keyboard are still attached as they are both USB.

I also tried to build the DfsSeDemo app with the source code that came with the install, however, I did not have DevStudio 8 and it upgraded the project to 2010. There seemed to be issues with the source code, or the Devstudio version difference:

2>nafxcwd.lib(afxglobals.obj) : error LNK2005: "public: virtual __thiscall CMemDC::~CMemDC(void)" (??1CMemDC@@UAE@XZ) already defined in TextProgressCtrl.obj
2>../Binary/Debug/DfuSeDemo.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found

Next, I tried downloading the version of DfsSeDemo in one of the links. It would run without crashing, however, it stated that it was version 3.0.0 and the one that was provided was 3.0.1.0. But still I tried that. The program appeared to work, however the upload was "very fast" as opposed to taking a few minutes as per the instructions.

At this point, (thanks to some nudging from the chat community, I tried the steps on a different machine. I was able to use a 10 year old machine with XP to successfully load the firmware (Version: 4.2.1 Update 1 ). This tells me that I actually can follow the instructions provided ( sometimes an issue :-D), but it also tells me that my primary machine has something on it that is causing the crash.

I thought I would share my experience ( and work around) in case anyone also runs into this issue. Also, if there is something I could try so that I could use my primary machine to update the firmware rather than my 10 year old machine, that would help my sanity as just logging onto that old box tests my patience :-D.

Thanks,

Corey

#2 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

At this point, (thanks to some nudging from the chat community, I tried the steps on a different machine. I was able to use a 10 year old machine with XP to successfully load the firmware (Version: 4.2.1 Update 1 ). This tells me that I actually can follow the instructions provided ( sometimes an issue :-D), but it also tells me that my primary machine has something on it that is causing the crash.

I thought I would share my experience ( and work around) in case anyone also runs into this issue. Also, if there is something I could try so that I could use my primary machine to update the firmware rather than my 10 year old machine, that would help my sanity as just logging onto that old box tests my patience :-D.

Corey, I'm glad you got working even if we don't have a firm answer as to why it isn't working, and thanks for sharing it.

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#3 Radek

Radek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

I had similar problem when upgrading to 4.2.2.2 using DfuSe Demo v3.0.3 on Windows 7 64bit SP1. Tried both 64 and 32 bit DfuSe versions. Download phase goes to 100% and immediately on next phase application crashes. DfuSe Demo also crashes on Verify. Suprisingly, after such crash, detaching and attaching Netduino, NETMF detected it. I was able to change MAC address, deploy and run some simple app.

#4 Shadi

Shadi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

Download phase goes to 100% and immediately on next phase application crashes. DfuSe Demo also crashes on Verify.

I had the same problem when flashing with my laptop. I downloaded the source for DfuSe Demo and after fixing some basic code & project problems, it worked great. It turns out they make some really lazy assumptions about USB and it causes the app to crash. You can try plugging the netduino into a different usb port and/or disabling usb ports/hubs in Device Manager.

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hi Shadi, If you'd like to contribute your bugfixes to ST, I can send them to one of their technical contacts. I'm sure they'd appreciate the outside feedback. Chris

#6 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thank goodness for you lot.  I was having the same problems on my Windows 8 64 / Visual Studio 2012/ Netduino 2 / Plus 2.

Same "fix".  Don't do the verify.

#7 upstream

upstream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBrasil

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hi!

My problem started when I tried to run Netduino plus DS1307 RTC on Netduino 2 plus. the I2C dedicated port simply didn't work.

Flashing the 4.2.2.2 version firmware I got  DFuse crashing as exposed above. I used "the fix" is don't verify.

After that I was able to deploy my RTC and it worked nicely but MFDeploy refused to change MAC address saying "Unable to erase configuration sector memory".

My "fix" to one this is:  On MFDeply go to Plug-in -> Debug -> Reboot and Stop. Than go to Target -> Configuration -> Network  and do the changes.

In case it's necessary to do another modification just do Reboot and Stop again otherwise the error "Unable to erase configuration sector memory" comes back.

My environment: VS2012, Win7 64 on vaio VPCSA28GG, .Netmf 4.3, netduino 2 plus, tiny RTC module with pull up resistors in it.

I hope this helps others newbees like me.

"- Somewhere there's a bug to fix..."

#8 Jason.Net

Jason.Net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Thank goodness for you lot.  I was having the same problems on my Windows 8 64 / Visual Studio 2012/ Netduino 2 / Plus 2.

Same "fix".  Don't do the verify.

Thanks guys. Just ran into the same problem. Now working.

#9 TinkeringTurtle

TinkeringTurtle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm having the same problem now. DfuSeDemo.exe crashes instantly upon starting. Yay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.