GO! Module - Potentiometer specs - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

GO! Module - Potentiometer specs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Good day everyone, I was wondering if the Go Potentiometer is an actual analog potentiometer that I can measure its resistance in ohms or it is just a digital potentionmeter that returns values from 0 to 255? Thanks

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi Giuliano,

I was wondering if the Go Potentiometer is an actual analog potentiometer that I can measure its resistance in ohms or it is just a digital potentionmeter that returns values from 0 to 255?

The potentiometer module uses a Pro Audio-grade analog potentiometer. The ADC on the module's SAM8S chip then converts this to a 10-bit digital value (0-1023) which is then passed to the module driver on your mainboard.

Here is the exact part:
Bourns PTV09A-4020U-B103

Chris

#3 Lunddahl

Lunddahl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationEurope, Denmark

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I was wondering if the Go Potentiometer is an actual analog potentiometer that I can measure its resistance in ohms or it is just a digital potentionmeter that returns values from 0 to 255?

If you see it from the code running on a netduino go it's a potmeter that returns a value from 0 to 1

If you see it from the GoBus socket on the module it's a digital potmeter that transfers it's state using the GoBus protocol over SPI.

If you look at the potmeter on the module, it's just an ordinary potmeter, and you can measure resistance, however this potmeter is connected to a STM8 micro controller, so measuring it's resistance does not make much sense.

- Ulrik Lunddahl

#4 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for your replies. So that said, if I am planning to use the Potentiometer as an analog potentiometer itself I would have to remove the chip first, right? I am also curious of the resitance of the potentiometer when in full open position. (Sorry no eletronic savvy) Thanks

#5 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for your replies. So that said, if I am planning to use the Potentiometer as an analog potentiometer itself I would have to remove the chip first, right? I am also curious of the resitance of the potentiometer when in full open position. (Sorry no eletronic savvy)

Thanks

Giuliano,

Connecting to just the pot would be difficult and also waste a module why not just buy a potentiometer like the one that likely came with the LCD display (10K ohm) or Radio Shack has some larger ones that you can solder wires onto for a few bucks.

Chuck

#6 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Giuliano,

Connecting to just the pot would be difficult and also waste a module why not just buy a potentiometer like the one that likely came with the LCD display (10K ohm) or Radio Shack has some larger ones that you can solder wires onto for a few bucks.

Chuck

Totally agree Chuck, no I am not waisting a Potentiometer module for that, I was just curious about the electronics.

#7 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

Totally agree Chuck, no I am not waisting a Potentiometer module for that, I was just curious about the electronics.

I think then it's time for you to pick up a Netduino or Netduino Plus 2. They are better suited for arbitrary tinkering :)

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#8 gvecino

gvecino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

I just bought the Netduino GO Starter kit with the modules. I am trying to lunch Rgb Led module, but for example: Netduino.RgbLed led = new Netduino.RgbLed(); Is giving me an error: The Name 'NetduinoGo' does not exist in the current context. I just downloaded the latest Development Environment from the download section. The onboard projects worked well. Please can someone help. Thanks, P.D. If my question get answered, how can I know?

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hi gvecino,

Netduino.RgbLed led = new Netduino.RgbLed(); Is giving me an error: The Name 'NetduinoGo' does not exist in the current context.

Try "NetduinoGo.RgbLed" instead of "Netduino.RgbLed". Does that work? Also, be sure to add "NetduinoGo.RgbLed.dll" as a reference to your project (right-click on your project listing in Solution Explorer, select "Add references...". Finally, be sure that you created a "Netduino Go Application" rather than a "Netduino Application". That will pull GoBus into your project. Does that get you started? Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.