Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Non-reponsive Plus 2: bricking 2 of them now...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RonNLA

RonNLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Hello, I've stepped up to Plus 2 because I ran out of memory with my embedded webserver for controlling my astronomy observatory so I had to ifdef out some features but otherwise works fine on Plus. So Plus 2 would have been perfect but on the first deploy the program wasn't working at all and I was unable to deploy again. So on the second try, I tried after I've erased and reloaded the firmware I deployed my wiring harness test program instead but it wasn't working either. After erasing and reloading the firmware for the second time, Plus 2 no longer answers to Ping or 'Device Capabilities' in MFDeploy. Erasing it and reloading the firmware a couple of times more didn't help either. I've repeated the same steps from the top on my second Plus 2 and managed to bricked both of them now. Surely, I must be missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks --Ron

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hi Ron, Did you try running a "blinky" type app on either board first? When deploying your existing application to Netduino Plus 2, you'll need to swap out the current hardware provider assembly (SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus.dll) for the new unified one (SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino.dll). And remove any references to the old AnalogInput and PWM classes. Otherwise NETMF will go a bit nuts with the pin conflicts. Based on initial feedback, we're working on updates to those three assemblies as well...so that you can redeploy existing Netduino Plus 1 projects without any changes. These boards have radically different hardware than the first gen--but one of our major goals is to ensure smooth forward upgradeability. About your bricked boards...they're most likely fine. They're tough little guys. Can you see them in DFUSE? Does the flashing verify properly? If so, please try rebooting your PC and then plugging them in again. And see if they show up in Device Manager and also in MFDeploy. We'll help get you up on your feet here; I want to see your observatory run at full steam! Chris

#3 RonNLA

RonNLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Hello Chris, Thanks for your reply. I ditched Arduino and move to Netduino after failing to make the web server and controling working with a decent performance. So Netduino Plus was god sent until I kept adding more and more features to it and max out the memory; hence leaping to Plus2. The 3.3v/5v output level got me into trouble for awhuile but it quickl dawn on me... I didn't try any blinky app before but my wiring harness test program pretty much does that (read buttons input and shows it on a Parallax LCD, read analog input and shows the value on LCD, and activate relays one at a time depending on a button). It was meant to check whether I wired everything up correctly. Yes, I did replaced the reference to NetduinoPlus and PWM but NOT Analog so that was probably why it didn't run (since I use analog I/O to read ambient temprature). Is there a memo about porting from Plus to Plus2; do's and don'ts somewhere? That would really help. In the two STMicro Tool (Tester and Demo), the board shows up fine and I can follow the firmware upgrading procedures without any problem. Also, verify was fine too. In MFDeploy, it can see the board under USB selection (though sometime needs to keep moving between available USB ports to make it shows up) but connect, ping, network, and checking device capabilities failed with no response from the board. Trying to deploy anything from VS 2010 gets a deployment failure. --Ron

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hi Ron,

In the two STMicro Tool (Tester and Demo), the board shows up fine and I can follow the firmware upgrading procedures without any problem. Also, verify was fine too. In MFDeploy, it can see the board under USB selection (though sometime needs to keep moving between available USB ports to make it shows up) but connect, ping, network, and checking device capabilities failed with no response from the board. Trying to deploy anything from VS 2010 gets a deployment failure.

Just to verify...did you ERASE the board using STDFU Tester before reflashing it DFUSE Demo?

After that, try rebooting your PC and then try to ping the board via MFDeploy one more time.

Are you running in a VM or anything? If the above fails, we may want to have you try manually switching to the MFUSB drivers.

Chris

#5 RonNLA

RonNLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi Ron,

Just to verify...did you ERASE the board using STDFU Tester before reflashing it DFUSE Demo?

After that, try rebooting your PC and then try to ping the board via MFDeploy one more time.

Are you running in a VM or anything? If the above fails, we may want to have you try manually switching to the MFUSB drivers.

Chris

Yes, I used STDFU Tester to erase and the DFUSE Demo to load the firmware and the fireware was from the pinned thread. I've rebooted multiple times including switching to my mlaptop instead but it does the same thing (not answering ping in MFDeploy).

How do I switch the driver manually?
Thanks
--Ron

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hi Ron,

How do I switch the driver manually?

Here you go; please let me know how this works for you:
http://forums.netdui...-mfusb-drivers/

Chris

#7 RonNLA

RonNLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

Hi Ron,

Here you go; please let me know how this works for you:
http://forums.netdui...-mfusb-drivers/

Chris

Changing the driver, erasing, and reloading the firmware help. Both boards are now alive again. I will try to port my app next.

Thanks
--Ron

#8 RonNLA

RonNLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Changing the driver, erasing, and reloading the firmware help. Both boards are now alive again. I will try to port my app next.

Thanks
--Ron

Removing references to PWM, Analog, and NetduinoPlus make porting app my from Plus to Plus2 works with all the ifdef code compiled in. I am going to switch from my own NTP code out to using TimeServer and hopes it works now.

This is great stuff my multi-thread websever is much more responsive to web browsers now.
Thanks for the improvement.
--Ron

#9 thratchen

thratchen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hi Ron,

Did you try running a "blinky" type app on either board first?

When deploying your existing application to Netduino Plus 2, you'll need to swap out the current hardware provider assembly (SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus.dll) for the new unified one (SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino.dll). And remove any references to the old AnalogInput and PWM classes. Otherwise NETMF will go a bit nuts with the pin conflicts.

Based on initial feedback, we're working on updates to those three assemblies as well...so that you can redeploy existing Netduino Plus 1 projects without any changes. These boards have radically different hardware than the first gen--but one of our major goals is to ensure smooth forward upgradeability.

About your bricked boards...they're most likely fine. They're tough little guys. Can you see them in DFUSE? Does the flashing verify properly? If so, please try rebooting your PC and then plugging them in again. And see if they show up in Device Manager and also in MFDeploy.

We'll help get you up on your feet here; I want to see your observatory run at full steam!

Chris

Chris,
I'm having simmilar experinces and I can't see the board in DFUSE or in MFDeploy. I've also switched to the older USB drivers to no avail. Help! The Netduino Plus 2 never replices to a Ping after builing a project with the PWM library.

Geoffrey

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

Hi Geoffrey,

I'm having simmilar experinces and I can't see the board in DFUSE or in MFDeploy. I've also switched to the older USB drivers to no avail. Help! The Netduino Plus 2 never replices to a Ping after builing a project with the PWM library.

Netduino Plus 2 uses .NET MF 4.2 with the new Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM classes, rather than the legacy SecretLabs PWM classes.

That said...we know that legacy support is important to you, so we're working on an update which will enable using the legacy PWM classes. We're aiming to have them ready next weekend.

Are you holding down your Netduino Plus 2's pushbutton while plugging it in via USB...before looking in DFUSE? What does it show up in Device Manager as?

Sorry for the troubles; let's get you back up and running and then we'll get you a software update to enable legacy PWM code.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.