Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.2.1 - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus 2 Firmware v4.2.1

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

Version: 4.2.1 (version 4.2.1.0)

This firmware requires use of the .NET Micro Framework v4.2 SDK (QFE2) and Netduino 4.2.1.0 SDK.

With this firmware, you will have the following resources available for your code:
384KB Flash
100KB+ RAM

To find the current version of your Netduino firmware:
1. Go to the Start Menu > Programs > Microsoft .NET Micro Framework 4.2 > Tools
2. Run MFDeploy.exe. Be careful to run MFDeploy.exe and not MFDeploy.exe.config (as file extensions are hidden by default)
3. Plug your Netduino into your PC using a Micro USB cable.
4. In the Device section at top, select USB instead of Serial. Your Netduino should appear in the drop-down; if not, select it.
5. Select the Target menu, Device Capabilities option.
6. In the output box, find the "SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion" value. This is your firmware version.

To flash this firmware:
1. Detach your Netduino
2. Press and hold your Netduino's pushbutton while plugging it in via USB; this will put it in bootloader mode.
3. Erase the firmware on your Netduino using the STDFU Tester application
> a. Select the "Protocol" tab
> b. Press the "Create from Map" button
> c. Select the "Erase" radio button option
> d. Press the "Go" button
> e. Wait for erase process to complete
4. Flash the attached .DFU file using the ST DfuSe Demonstrator application (included with STDFU Tester)
> a. Locate the "Upgrade or Verify Action" pane (bottom-right pane)
> b. Press "Choose..." and select the attached DFU file
> c. Check the "Verify after download" option
> d. Press "Upgrade". It will take a few minutes to update your Netduino.
> e. Detach and reattach your Netduino (power cycle) or press "Leave DFU mode"

Enjoy, and please let us know if you run into any troubles.

Chris

Attached Files

#2 ImplicitSystems

ImplicitSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLake Havasu City, AZ

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

Almost...at least in my case.

I flashed the device as instructed. Updated the network setting in MFDeploy. She pings back and the configuration shows 4.2.1 etc.

I deploy an app via VS10 and...

Assemblies successfully deployed to device.

The debugger engine failed to receive any debug events from the debugging target

...we almost get there. I get no response from the device via a browser. (It's a web app)

So I check the MFDeploy and the device is now KIA.

Pinging... Error: No response from device

Re-flashing the device brings it back to life.

Andy

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

I deploy an app via VS10 and...

Okay, there's something in the app which is making the board get angry. What kind of app is it?

Are you using an existing app from Netduino or Netduino Plus 1? If it was a Netduino Plus app, did you swap out the SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus.dll assembly for the non-plus version?

If you can grab your output window's details (showing what is on the board and what has deployed to it) that will give us an idea of what is there as well.

Once we isolate what the app is doing to make Visual Studio angry...we can either fix the app or fix the firmware. I love a good mystery.

Chris

#4 ColinB

ColinB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi Chris, No compatible devices are listed in the DfuSe tool so I'm unable to upgrade the firmware. Any ideas?

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi ColinB,

No compatible devices are listed in the DfuSe tool so I'm unable to upgrade the firmware. Any ideas?

What board are you trying to upgrade? A Netduino Plus 2?

This is the initial firmware release--so you shouldn't need to upgrade :)

Also, on your Netduino Go/Netduino Plus 2...be sure to press and hold its pushbutton while powering it up by plugging into your PC via USB. This will put it in the bootloader mode needed by DFUSE.

Chris

#6 ImplicitSystems

ImplicitSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

Okay, there's something in the app which is making the board get angry. What kind of app is it?

Are you using an existing app from Netduino or Netduino Plus 1? If it was a Netduino Plus app, did you swap out the SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus.dll assembly for the non-plus version?

If you can grab your output window's details (showing what is on the board and what has deployed to it) that will give us an idea of what is there as well.

Once we isolate what the app is doing to make Visual Studio angry...we can either fix the app or fix the firmware. I love a good mystery.

Chris

"If it was a Netduino Plus app, did you swap out the SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus.dll assembly for the non-plus version?"

Got it going. This brings up a question is there a Netduino 2 in the works?

Now what to do with all this room.
Andy

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

Now what to do with all this room.

That's a good problem to have :)

Chris

#8 ImplicitSystems

ImplicitSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

Dude this thing rocks compared to the NDP1. Any trade up program? :) Oh one thing? The static IP is not working like before. I assigned a static IP in MFDeploy. It saves the info but It stays in in DHCP mode. Is this to be done in code now? Thanks again fro this awesome upgrade.
Andy

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

Hi ImplicitSystems,

Oh one thing? The static IP is not working like before. I assigned a static IP in MFDeploy. It saves the info but It stays in in DHCP mode. Is this to be done in code now?

We learned of this issue over the weekend and are investigating. We hope to have an updated firmware release by the end of next week.

Thanks again fro this awesome upgrade.

I'm glad you like it! We poured months of love into the design of that board, so we're really excited to share it with you.

Chris

#10 Howie Goodell

Howie Goodell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Indeed awesome! Question: when do you expect to release the source code for the firmware? Happy to beta-test; about to order the JTAG ICE you suggest. IMHO a decent interop development environment will open a lot of embedded applications for this board; usually they need a few specific things to be fast and/or a little different than the generic functions. Howie Goodell

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hi Howie, I'll make sure we get the source code posted this week. We're working on 4.2.1.1, so we'll have another source update around the end of next week. Chris

#12 endo

endo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Is there a beta version of the source code for the 4.2 Porting kit and the Netduino Plus 2? Im only finding the firmware binary available. What is the release timeframe? Thanks!

#13 Howie Goodell

Howie Goodell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hi Howie,

I'll make sure we get the source code posted this week. We're working on 4.2.1.1, so we'll have another source update around the end of next week.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Have you posted it? I don't see anything yet on the downloads page (Netduino firmware still has 10/9 for Solutions/NetduinoPlus. Just got my board; debug cables hopefully tomorrow. We Yanks have our Thanksgiving holiday this week; I was hoping to take it home and play after the turkey coma wears off ;-) .

Take care!
Howie

#14 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

Hi Chris, I followed the steps but I might be missing something because STDFU Tester cannot see my N+, I am trying to flash the latest firmware to it which is 4.2.1.

Please advise.

#15 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

Hi Giuliano,

Hi Chris, I followed the steps but I might be missing something because STDFU Tester cannot see my N+, I am trying to flash the latest firmware to it which is 4.2.1.

Just to confirm...do you have a Netduino Plus 1 or a Netduino Plus 2?

Netduino Plus uses an Atmel chip; you'll want to follow the re-flashing instructions that come with its firmware instead.

Chris

#16 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi Chris, I have a N+1 so I am gong yo use Samba instead, right? Just to make sure I get all right; if I create anew project fur the N+1 and then right click on any of the Microsoft or Secret Labs references, I should see 4.2.1 in the version of them, right? Because I currently see 4.2.0 instead. Did MFDeploy has changed as well? I see version 4.2.0 if I go to the about window. Please clarify. Thank you.

#17 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi Giuliano,

Hi Chris, I have a N+1 so I am gong yo use Samba instead, right?

Yes, correct.

Just to make sure I get all right; if I create anew project fur the N+1 and then right click on any of the Microsoft or Secret Labs references, I should see 4.2.1 in the version of them, right? Because I currently see 4.2.0 instead.

The version #s will be <= the version of the SDK. They typically only change if there's a new features added to the assembly.

Did MFDeploy has changed as well? I see version 4.2.0 if I go to the about window.

That is the correct version. There's no indicator that you're using QFE2, since QFE2 is a "quick engineering fix".

If you've installed the latest SDKs, you're good to go :)

Chris

#18 Martin Ayotte

Martin Ayotte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hi Chris, I've just received today my new N+2, and tried my previous Blinker (ONBOARD_LED + GPIO_PIN_D0) that I used to getting started with my N+1 few weeks ago. Fortunately, I installed new development suite on a second VM to avoid breaking the one used for my N+1. So, I tried the Blinker on the N+2, and the debugger crash trying to initialize the GPIO_PIN_D0 with the following exception : An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.dll Then, I commented out GPIO_PIN_D0 to try with only ONBOARD_LED. It doesn't crash, but the led doesn't blink ... :-( If I understand, are the pins definitions are different between N+1 and N+2 ? If Yes, why the look the same in SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus, and why in "add ref", the SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus still shows v4.2.0.1 (the one I used for N+1) and only the SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino shows v4.2.1.0 ? Any hints ? Update : It is working. Even if not obvious, I had to change SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus to SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino ... (Creating a new Blinker with the project wizard gave me this hint :-)

#19 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Hi Martin,

Update :
It is working. Even if not obvious, I had to change SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus to SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino ... (Creating a new Blinker with the project wizard gave me this hint :-)

Thanks for the update. Glad you're up and running.

We've figured out a way to auto-update the HardwareProvider even when the DLL name changes. We'll make that magic happen in the December SDK update. In the meantime, please continue swapping out the old board's HardwareProvider for the new board's HardwareProvider.

Please let us know if you run into any other troubles,

Chris

#20 Howie Goodell

Howie Goodell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hi Howie,

I'll make sure we get the source code posted this week. We're working on 4.2.1.1, so we'll have another source update around the end of next week.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I know you've had your hands full, but please do post the Netduino source when you can. I could care less about I2C ;-)

Thanks!
Howie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.