Power Outage in New York - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Power Outage in New York

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hi all, I just had contact with the Secret Labs HQ which is located in New York. I have some good news and some bad news. The good news: everyone is still very OK The bad news: they will have no power, probably until friday I also got a picture of their new hideout. You'll find it attached :)

Attached Files

"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#2 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hi all,

I just had contact with the Secret Labs HQ which is located in New York. I have some good news and some bad news.
The good news: everyone is still very OK
The bad news: they will have no power, probably until friday

I also got a picture of their new hideout. You'll find it attached
:)

Hello!
My luck quotient must be higher then theirs. I'm okay and can see them from here. You are aware that their moving triggered that event? Posted Image

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#3 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

I made it out unscathed too. I had a couple flickers but never lost power. During the worst of the storm I was in Times Square live casting and buying cheesecake. Posted Image

#4 supra

supra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:56 AM

Just wonder if Chris Walker got flooded tooPosted Image

#5 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Stefan, how did you able to contact Chris if there's no power there? Pigeons? Smoke signs? Did you sail up to NY, then back? Anyway, happy to hear that most of the things are under control. Good luck to anyone is in trouble now. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#6 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

Just wonder if Chris Walker got flooded tooPosted Image

He's ok. So don't worry ;)

Stefan, how did you able to contact Chris if there's no power there? Pigeons? Smoke signs? Did you sail up to NY, then back?

Oh when the storm was over he kept on walking until his mobile phone had reach :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#7 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Seems Adafruit people was prepared: http://www.adafruit....nline-in-sandy/

--
Asbjørn

#8 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

That looks like they were well prepared indeed! I think I'll give Chris a car battery for his next birthday B)

#9 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

We just got out power back. Much of New Jersey is completely devastated. Still millions without power and so many people lost their homes to fire and the ocean.

#10 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

We just got out power back. Much of New Jersey is completely devastated. Still millions without power and so many people lost their homes to fire and the ocean.

Glad to here all are well, you can replace everything but your life.

Be safe,
Chuck

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Hey guys and gals, Sorry to be offline here. Millions of people in NJ/NY/CT (including over a million here in Manhattan alone) are without power. And many without homes. It's kind of nuts. FEMA is here. In the taller buildings, we have elderly people who can't walk down 25 flights of stairs to get the free food. Water can't make it that high without electric pumps. Subways from Brooklyn are down, AT&T and T-Mobile towers are down, and the buildings and stairways are dark for miles. The majority of people seem to have jumped on a plane or a train and left for the week. But New York is a magical place. And there's power north of around 30th street. So many of us are trekking up to mid-town once a day to turn on our cell phones, to connect with the outside world. We're all fine here. Safe, happy, finding things to do without electricity and Internet. :) While it may look and feel like one of those movies where a deadly disease has knocked out civilization, the true devastation seems to be among our neighbors in New Jersey. This is no Katrina--but the realities of it are very similar for so many families. I wish we knew how to help. Anyway, Secret Labs is closed for the week. ConEd is working to bring the power back up by the end of the weekend. So I'm looking forward to re-connecting with everyone next week and checking out all the awesome things my friends here have been up to :) To those in storm-affected areas: be safe, and let us all know if you need help, if you can. To everyone else: thank you for belonging to the Netduino community; see you on the other side. Chris

#12 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

#13 MedfordChris

MedfordChris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMedford MA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, but you can just run it from a 9v battery!

#14 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, but you can just run it from a 9v battery!

Mine was a metaphor on the huge weakness of the Occidental life-style. People are too dependent to certain things, that may also disappear.

The Chris' picture about lot of people prisoner of the tall buildings, because no water, no elevators, no food, no heating...makes me thinking, then thinking again to what's the right direction for our future.

People of the jungle may still haven't cars, or PCs, but they can live even without electricity...
Cheers

#15 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Power came back online last night. This is a very exciting morning for millions here in NYC :) I'll try to catch up on posts and e-mails over the weekend. If anyone has e-mailed or PM'd me and not received a response, please feel free to ping me. Secret Labs will be back open on Monday. To the 100,000s still without power and those who have lost property or loved ones...our thoughts are with you still. Chris BTW, here's another picture of the outage from Limor over at Adafruit. http://www.adafruit....29-through-112/ Bicycles were lifesavers. Segways also came in handy. The bridges looked like Amsterdam at times.

#16 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Bicycles were lifesavers. Segways also came in handy. The bridges looked like Amsterdam at times.

Segways run on power, so I wouldn't rely on those too much. But bicycles, yea, they're useful :)

#17 ErikN

ErikN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Some of us were very lucky to have a mild rain and not lose power. Just a few blocks made all the difference for some. Of course we still suffer in our own way - by having to continue to work! It was a small price to pay to keep things running while those who suffered the real damage had the time to recover. I'm grateful those I know around the various parts of the city went mostly unharmed if inconvenienced by the power and service outages. The one exception was a coworker who lives on Long Island - he lost his house ("I have an indoor pool now!") and his 3 cars. He has had to relocate and is working remotely from his son's house. I can't imagine that sort of disruption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.