Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Basic Analog Input Circuit and Program

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

Extremely helpful, thanks. Last questions… :). I have changed my voltage to 3.3 and added the AREF lead as well. I now measure my input lead at 2.9 to 3.4V. Is that too high for an input line?

That's in the right range, but technically 3.4V is a bit high. According to the microcontroller datasheet, the analog inputs shouldn't go over the AREF voltage. I can't say that it would hurt your board or not...but it's out of spec.

If I wanted to use a voltage divider I understand implementing a resister but I do not follow the Max Range Value? Where did you get those numbers 1350, 1023 and 1550? I assume this adjustment is needed to regulate my sensor values because I dropped voltage?

I used 1350 as an example to recalibrate the 0...1023 range. If you take 1023, diving it by 2.5 (the new "top voltage") and multiply it by 3.3 (the old "top voltage"), you get 1350. 1550 was a typo...my bad :)

If you are supplying 3.3V to the sensor and getting analog values in the 0-3.3V range, then no need to recalibrate anything. Just set the range to the range you want (that makes sense for the sensor) and you're good to go.

Chris

#22 Ckiszka

Ckiszka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

That's in the right range, but technically 3.4V is a bit high. According to the microcontroller datasheet, the analog inputs shouldn't go over the AREF voltage. I can't say that it would hurt your board or not...but it's out of spec.

I used 1350 as an example to recalibrate the 0...1023 range. If you take 1023, diving it by 2.5 (the new "top voltage") and multiply it by 3.3 (the old "top voltage"), you get 1350. 1550 was a typo...my bad :)

If you are supplying 3.3V to the sensor and getting analog values in the 0-3.3V range, then no need to recalibrate anything. Just set the range to the range you want (that makes sense for the sensor) and you're good to go.

Chris

Perfect! Thanks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.