Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Powering a Netduino and LPD8806 From Batteries

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nithins

nithins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm in the planning stages of building a robot costume for my son. The project will use an Adafruit LPD8806 of 1 meter length controlled by a Netduino and probably just utilize the pattern from the tutorial. I have a 4 AA battery pack, but I'm not exactly sure what is the correct way to wire this up so that the strip won't burn out and also won't damage the Netduino. Would the recommendation be to use alkaline or rechargeable AA batteries? Should I hook up the batteries to the DC barrel jack and power the light strip power from the Netduino 5v pin?

Thanks!
- nithins

#2 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'm in the planning stages of building a robot costume for my son. The project will use an Adafruit LPD8806 of 1 meter length controlled by a Netduino and probably just utilize the pattern from the tutorial. I have a 4 AA battery pack, but I'm not exactly sure what is the correct way to wire this up so that the strip won't burn out and also won't damage the Netduino. Would the recommendation be to use alkaline or rechargeable AA batteries? Should I hook up the batteries to the DC barrel jack and power the light strip power from the Netduino 5v pin?

Thanks!

Nithins,

Do not try to power a 1 meter strip from the Netduino 5 vdc regulator. Per the specs on Adafruit.com that you linked to the strip pulls 120 ma for every 2.5" of length that you are planning on using (with the LEDs on at full brightness). That would be almost 2 amps of current.

You will need a separted power supply of around 2 amps for the strip. Make sure that it a regulated supply. 6 vdc will start to damage the strip.

If you want to power from a battery you will need a regulator and most likely a gel cell or Sealed Lead Acid battery 6 or 12 vdc 4 amp hour or more depending on how bright, color and duration that the LEDs are going to be on before rechaging the battery.

Edited to add link: Tutorial on using batteries to power RGB LED Strip

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#3 nithins

nithins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Edited to add link: Tutorial on using batteries to power RGB LED Strip

Thank you so much for that tutorial link! I completely missed that on the Adafruit site. That's exactly what I needed.
- nithins

#4 greglee

greglee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

when connected a 5m lpd8806 strip to my Netduino, and I'm running a simple test using the code in the tutorial. But the first two LEDs closest to the input stay on full-white all the time. This persists no matter what I've tried. If I write a simple loop to address each pixel, those two LEDs will flicker slightly with the assigned color, but they mostly persist as white. So do you what could be happening?

#5 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Maybe it's a silly suggestion, but have you switched the input with the output side? When I did that I also only had emitting white LEDs
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.