Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus - Login to Windows Network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smarcus3

smarcus3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I was wondering if it was possible to get the N+ to log into a windows network. I would like to sue mine at work, but without these credentials I cannot get into the network. Thanks.
Steve

My Other Hobby: Engineer Turned Baker

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

It only needs an IP to be able to talk with other devices. Where do you want to log in to? A specific protocol?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 smarcus3

smarcus3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

I use it to access an http website.
Steve

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

I use it to access an http website.

Normally, for http requests, authentication is not a requirement, unless there's a proxy or firewall in the way. In that case, there could be a good reason (not allowed to connect devices from home?)

How does it work if you connect a private notebook?
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#5 smarcus3

smarcus3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. Haven't tested it out. I'm sure its a security thing.
Steve

#6 smarcus3

smarcus3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

I really just need to come up with a new project idea.
Steve

#7 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

In that case, I would look how a notebook would connect. Does it use a specific authentication protocol, if so, which. and so on. Gather some info and then start on the project :)

#8 smarcus3

smarcus3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

After you talking about the security and all I don’t want to annoy IT with connecting a non-work device. I wish I could think of a completely new project, but I’ve been having trouble. I’ll have to ponder it.
Steve

#9 AlfredBr

AlfredBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

After you talking about the security and all I don’t want to annoy IT with connecting a non-work device. I wish I could think of a completely new project, but I’ve been having trouble. I’ll have to ponder it.

Using Stefan's idea of thinking about how a private notebook would authenticate to your Windows network:

1. First of all, getting an IP address on the network may be more involved than you want. For instance, in many workplaces, you cannot even get an IP address on the wired network if your MAC address is not known beforehand.

2. Assuming you can get an IP address, then you want your Netduino to navigate to a particular URL on your network and authenticate with that server with your Windows credentials, yes? The process would be the same as if you brought...say, your Macintosh into the office and connected it to the network. When you navigate to the URL, you would be presented with an authentication process that can take many forms: it could be Windows Basic Auth, Windows Integrated Auth, Windows Forms Auth or if you are lucky Anonymous Auth.

If it is anonymous auth, then no username and password is required. You probably don't have anonymous auth.
Let's talk about Windows Basic Auth. (We cannot use Windows Integrated Auth).

When your Netduino client application tries to access the web site, the web server issues a challenge for credentials. Normally a web browser would handle this challenge by presenting you with a dialog box where you can type in your username and password. When you receive this challenge on the Netduino, your code will have to then provide for the proper username and password pair to be returned to the web server. If the authentication succeeds, you can then navigate the website.

Consider a different approach. You didn't specify your goals, but depending on what you want to do, you could do this in two hops. Let's say you wanted to light an LED on the Netduino if a value on a particular page on your company website exceeds a certain threshold. You could write a desktop application that does all of the network authentication and website parsing and value comparing on your full-size computer and then send a message via a serial link to the Netduino. When the Netduino receives the serial message, you light the LED (or launch the missile or what-have-you...)

The above scenario is not compliant with the 'internet of things' vision, but it does allow you to interface your Netduino with an arbitrary value on your website. I've glossed over huge technology areas here, but the first hop is from your website to your desktop computer and the second hop is from your desktop computer to your Netduino+.

You can take it from here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.