28 replies to this topic

#21 mario

mario

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hi,

This is my first project with a ST mcu, I use a STM8S207K8, and the environment tool IAR. I use the internal oscillator, HSI at 16Mhz. One request is to output the CLK on an external pin. I noticed that pin PD0, has the CLK_CCO functionality, but I don't kow how to remap it.

Could you help me please?

Thank you in advcance.

#22 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

This is my first project with a ST mcu, I use a STM8S207K8, and the environment tool IAR. I use the internal oscillator, HSI at 16Mhz. One request is to output the CLK on an external pin. I noticed that pin PD0, has the CLK_CCO functionality, but I don't kow how to remap it.

Could you help me please?

In a recent project I used the following code to set the STM8S to do exactly what you are trying to do and I used the following code:

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------////  Setup the system clock to run at 16MHz using the internal oscillator.//void InitialiseSystemClock(){    CLK_ICKR = 0;					   //  Reset the Internal Clock Register.    CLK_ICKR_HSIEN = 1;				 //  Enable the HSI.    CLK_ECKR = 0;					   //  Disable the external clock.    while (CLK_ICKR_HSIRDY == 0);	   //  Wait for the HSI to be ready for use.    CLK_CKDIVR = 0;					 //  Ensure the clocks are running at full speed.    CLK_PCKENR1 = 0xff;				 //  Enable all peripheral clocks.    CLK_PCKENR2 = 0xff;				 //  Ditto.    CLK_CCOR = 1;					   //  Turn on CCO.    CLK_HSITRIMR = 0;				   //  Turn off any HSIU trimming.    CLK_SWIMCCR = 0;				    //  Set SWIM to run at clock / 2.    CLK_SWR = 0xe1;					 //  Use HSI as the clock source.    CLK_SWCR = 0;					   //  Reset the clock switch control register.    CLK_SWCR_SWEN = 1;				  //  Enable switching.    while (CLK_SWCR_SWBSY != 0);	    //  Pause while the clock switch is busy.}

One thing you will have to check is the output of the CCO pin.  I found that I get a reasonable square-ish wave when operating a lower frequencies (i.e. 2 MHz) but when you get to 16 MHz the output is not very good.  The clock signal oscilates between about 1.5 and 3V at 16 MHz..  I have found that by feeding the output through a logic gate (I used an AND gate with one input tied high) you can get a usable clock signal out of the CCO pin.

BTW, the only reason I used an AND gate was because I had some single AND gates in stock from a previous project.

Hope this helps,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#23 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

For those who are still following this series, I've added a new article to this series - Using Auto-Wakeup on the STM8S.

Regards,

Mark

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

#24 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for continuing to add to your series, Mark.

We've referred to your articles alongside the official STM8S documentation when we've built STM8S code here...you have a lot of great info and experience in there!

Chris

#25 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Thanks Chris, good to know that this code is proving useful.

Wish I could solve my main problem though, so many projects and not enough time.

Regards,

Mark

#26 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

And your code may fail so add a Watchdog.

Regards,

Mark

#27 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

Added links to a few more articles from last year.

Regards,

Mark

#28 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Several years on and I still find these articles useful Mark. Thanks for keeping them up to date.

#29 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

Glad you still find the articles useful.  I think I only have one area to look at, CAN, I think I may encounter resistance if I try playing around with the car.

Regards,

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.