Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

[PENDING/SLOW MOVING] Home Automation With The Netduino

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Netduino Suitability (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the Netduino is right for this project?

1. Yes! The code and small amount of hardware needed makes it a great choice. (11 votes [68.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. No! This is much better suited for a barebones custom solution with an ATMega328 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Maybe! However, a custom solution would be best. (5 votes [31.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

4. Don't do it son, don't do it. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 muyinteresting

muyinteresting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:33 AM

Hi Everyone,

I bought a Netduino earlier this fall to kick off my crazy ideas for a DIY (for now) home automation kit.

Since I am a networking guy, not a programmer or a hardware engineer, the .NET MF framework makes everything much easier to learn and to write code for.

The Plan.. kinda
The plan is to make a client-server architecture of microcontrollers with the Netduino at the centre. These client controllers will do everything from trip a relay to turn lights and wall outlets on and off to sending back sensor data to controlling LED lighting strips.

They will all be wireless and will be powered by the same line they are switching.

The netduino will be the master controller and will also be the connection between the clients and the networked command applications.

So, not thinking about the remote devices just yet, I'm focusing on writing the control code at the moment. Coming up with a command set and everything else.

Hardware
For the wireless radio, I plan on using the following SPI-commandable transceiver:
http://www.sparkfun....roducts_id=9582
RFM12B-S2 Wireless Transceiver

That's pretty well all the hardware that is needed on the netduino end, unless I choose to also use the mass of unused pins for something useful!

This post is pretty much a placeholder for my musings and project progression/details.

Stay tuned! Between school, an upcoming work term, and living the student life, this should be interesting if I manage to pull it off.

For the mean time, please vote on the poll above and tell me if I'm a nutter.

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

That sounds interesting. My first Netduino project is also home automation. I started giving some details here but it was getting long and I don't want to clutter up your thread so I started my own.

My top tip though. Plan it in stages and make sure that you'll never be stuck with a house that doesn't work because you're in the middle of version 2.

#3 phantomtypist

phantomtypist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

I am already in the processing of building a somewhat similar concept. When looking at the cost aspect of your project, take into consideration the possibility of having various types of hardware in the house (e.g. Netduino, Arduino derivatives, etc). Ask yourself, would it make sense to control a light switch with a $35 Netduino or a $19 Arduino Pro Mini? For something as simple as turning on/off relays you really don't need horse power. What platform were you going to use for your server software? I wish you the best of luck in completing your project.

#4 muyinteresting

muyinteresting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

Oh, I am just using the netduino as the "master" controller since I already have it and I can code things to leverage the power of .NET MF. It is going to be the glorious bridge and master of all of this chaos. As for the software side, the eventual plan is to have the server on the netduino itself. So that the controller devices (the tablets, phones, etc) will connect directly to it. For now I'm going to run a dedicated machine with a serial to UART converter to talk back and forth with the netduino. The serial host machine is gonna have a small windows forms app that will just take the command sent from the client via the IP network and push it over in full to the netduino for processing. So for now its Client ->(IP) PC Server (Serial) -> Netduino ->)) Wireless controller. So to be the master controller, and to handle multiple client devices connected, I do need the netduino for this one. Some will argue that I should ditch the dev board(netduino), but for my own use, it works just fine. I'll figure out how to design my own board that needs only the components I need (like the Amtel sported by the netduino), and directly soldered stuff as opposed to on the headers. However, that is a LOONNG way off. To do the actual work (the wireless controller), I am considering buying a JeeNode as a dev platform, and then I will find every way to squeeze the cost down as far as I can with a custom solution. I might have to consult someone that knows PCB design for that one. Basically, I will probably end up taking the (idea of the) JeeNode and stick it on a custom PCB that doesn't include the extra components like the unneeded pin headers, etc. Cutting costs wherever I can. I hoped to actually prototype the hardware and eventually turn it into a legit product, but since I will have to draw upon so many people to make up for my lack of knowledge, putting the software AND the hardware plans open source is the best way IMHO. Green automated homes for everyone! Random goal: Complete the majority of the project goals for a total cost of well under $500 in hardware.

#5 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:32 AM

The JeeNode certainly looks like a useful bit of kit if size is an issue. Also maybe the Arduino Pro Mini combined with the Hope RF transceiver - much like what's part of the JeeNode.

As phantomtypist says, all these are overspec'd when it comes to computing power. Hower it's not the power we're after, it's the flexibility, availability and convenience.

I'm sure between us we can come up with a great solution. A custom PCB seems like a lofty goal, but you never know. An interesting tutorial over on SparkFun.

#6 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

To do the actual work (the wireless controller), I am considering buying a JeeNode as a dev platform, and then I will find every way to squeeze the cost down as far as I can with a custom solution.

While searching for something else, I came across a platform named IQRF, which may be worth looking at, to gain some ideas. Also SNUPI: Sensor Nodes Utilizing Powerline Infrastructure is pretty interesting work.

#7 muyinteresting

muyinteresting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

Quick note: I'm a student, I'm poorer than dirt at the moment. So no hardware purchases yet, just planning and coding and stuff. The interest is really great though. I thought I was just crazy. No one I've talked to so far about my plan has showed much interest. I guess you need a working system to be able to convince people. The day I can use my stereo remote and a tablet to control my stuff, I will be happy. There are 15 buttons on my Cambridge Audio that are unused because it is a combo remote for a matching CD player as well. Building an IR receiver is next on my list, and it will be just like the other remote controllers, wireless and such. Press the numbers 1-15 to change the lighting pattern in the room. :D Also, thanks for that link to the SNUPI and IQRF stuff, pretty cool sh!t.

#8 Foozinator

Foozinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

I'm very interested to see how you do interfacing the Netduino to the RFM12B, as I'm trying to do the same thing. The documentation (http://www.hoperf.co..._fsk/rfm12b.htm) is a little sparse, but it looks like it might use 15 or 16-bit SPI, which is only available in the latest alpha release of the firmware.

#9 Codeblack

Codeblack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

A yes for me, definitely :). But being a long time .NET/C# developer might have colored my vote... But I also agree that, in a lot of cases, the NetDuino can be overkill. Luckily I know my way around C/C++ and even assembler. However, developing in NETMF using Visual Studio and the debugging capabilities that it provides is no match to the Arduino platform, IMHO. My plan for my home automation project is to use 802.15.4. Preferably 6LoWPAN, but I'm looking at ZigBee as well. For most end-devices I'm thinking about making an Arduino-version with the single-chip MCU/radio ATmega128RFA1, even though that means no NETMF <_<. My electronics & PCB skills are a bit rusty, but are slowly coming back. RF, antenna's & HF PCB design however, not so much :(.

#10 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

My "maybe" vote, 'cos I think C#+.Net MF is surely a great idea. However, the Netduino lacks of ability to interface with arbitrary hardware.
So, the poll is somewhat vague, but...
  • if you need just to build a dozen of lights for the Christmas tree, the smallest Arduino-like is even too powerful;
  • if you look for a web oriented, easy and safe to program platform, then Netduino fits better the goal.
Anyway, dear Netduino, continue to eat food, 'cos you must grow a little bit.
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.