Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

12V Regulated Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

I my quest to solve my analog input issues, I have dug out my somewhat decent "12V" regulated power supply that I have had luck with in the past -- which actually puts out 13.8V. Anyway, the netduino's specs call for 12V, but can it handle 13.8V? It would be good to know for this application as well as automotive applications since most 12V auto systems run around 13.8V, too. Come to think of it, it seems most 12V supplies I have come across put out a bit more than 12V. Thanks!

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

bill, The DC input range is designed for unregulated power supplies...so we've taken this into account. No worries. [The LDO power regulators are actually rated up to 20VDC...but they could get _really_ warm if you input that much voltage.] Chris

#3 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:10 AM

Great, thanks for the reply. Am I safe to assume all the grounds on the netduino are the same? And that the Vin is tied directly to the inner pin of the power input? Also, is is safe to have external power and be hooked up to usb for debugging? Thanks!

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:49 AM

The grounds on the Netduino are all the same. And the VIN on the power barrel and the VIN header are both tied to the input on the 5VDC power regulator (after passing through a reverse protection circuit). Yes, you can hook up external power and use USB at the same time. The Netduino will automatically switch its power input to the AC adapter and the USB circuitry has a resettable fuse to help keep too much power from flowing to/from the USB port. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.