Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Software reset

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Miha

Miha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

I was proposing a solution to the original request, which is "but I want to trigger a reset if the switch has been held down for an extended period of time." - to handle a switch interrupt, the code is supposed to be in operational state.

Well, there are a few issues with that:

* first the watchdog would be a workaround for that feature (long button press for reboot) -- as it would make more sense to just reenable the switch to function as a reset (and that obviously can be achieved somehow, since it works if the switch is not "reprogramed" as an InterruptPort).
* second, I agree with above posters that Watchdog functionality is very nice to have (I too am building a home automation system that will be unattended **most** of the time). And resets in such a case would be very nice (let's hope that they won't be needed, but ...)
* As for reboot, it can obviously be done (I mean, the VS debugging process can reboot it, so it can be done via software, it is just not accessible to us, or we don't know how to access it (more likely)).

So to reiterate:
* Watchdog would be very nice to have
* Programmable reset would be very nice
* Workarrounds for the above anyone? (I still don't know if I can just wire D0 to reset and expect it to work??)

Best,
Miha.

#22 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:25 AM

I also believe that it's important to have an easy way to soft-reset the device using a watchdog timer. However, for more critical applications, it's best to have a completely external watchdog (using an ATtiny85 for instance) controlling the hardware reset of the device. Cheers, -Fabien.

#23 Miha

Miha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hi! Are there any news on the watchdog? BTW, I can confirm that PowerState.Reboot() is working.

#24 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hi!

Are there any news on the watchdog?

BTW, I can confirm that PowerState.Reboot() is working.

Hi Miha,

We're thinking that this will be enabled through the new runtime native code interop feature of the next firmware release (v4.1.2). If that can't handle it, we can add it in the native code core.

Chris

#25 Miha

Miha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

We're thinking that this will be enabled through the new runtime native code interop feature of the next firmware release (v4.1.2). If that can't handle it, we can add it in the native code core.

Cool. Thank you very much!

Miha

ps: is there an ETA for 4.1.2?

#26 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:51 AM

ps: is there an ETA for 4.1.2?

We're starting planning for it now, design next month, beta this summer, release this fall. It'll be a big update.

Chris

#27 Illishar

Illishar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

And the watchdog is really easy to create with "runtime interop" btw. (And rather well suited.) Just tell me and I'll throw it up for you! :P

#28 Miha

Miha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

We're starting planning for it now, design next month, beta this summer, release this fall. It'll be a big update.

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

#29 mackelen

mackelen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVeghel - Netherlands

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Is the watchdog usable now ?

#30 mohammad

mohammad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

Is the watchdog usable now ?

Actually, I have the same question for Firmware 4.2.0.0 (RC 5), since the following code doesn't work and the debugger always prints 00:00:00 for the Watchdog.Timer.

using System;using System.Net;using System.Net.Sockets;using System.Threading;using Microsoft.SPOT;using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoPlus;namespace NetduinoPlusApplication1{    public class Program    {        public static void Main()        {            Debug.Print(Watchdog.Timeout.ToString());            TimeSpan t = new TimeSpan(0, 0, 1);            Watchdog.Timeout = t;            Debug.Print(Watchdog.Timeout.ToString());            Watchdog.Enabled = true;            Thread.Sleep(3000);            Debug.Print("not rebooted yet!!!");        }    }}

#31 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hi mohammad,

No watchdog implemented in the gen1 hardware.  We're currently designing a software update for gen2 hardware which would enable it.

You can create a software watchdog of sorts by creating a custom class and background thread in NETMF--but it won't be hardware-assisted.

Chris

#32 mohammad

mohammad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your response. Does the following code act like what Watchdog does?

namespace WatchdogSimulation{    public class WatchdogSimulation    {        public static void Main()        {            while (true)            {                Debug.Print(DateTime.Now.Hour.ToString());                if (DateTime.Now.Hour > 10)             //Watchdog.Timeout = 10h                    PowerState.RebootDevice(false);     //Watchdog.Enabled = true;                Thread.Sleep(300000);                   //Wait 5min            }        }    }}

The purpose of mine is to simulate the reboot button pressing every 10 hours.

#33 mohammad

mohammad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Thanks Chris for your comment. Finally, I figured it out: http://forums.netdui...lus/#entry49735

#34 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Great I saw this post, I didn't know how to provoke a reboot from software.

The code you attached before would restart the device repeatedly between 10:00 and 11:00 AM, effectively rendering it unusable during that time. Am I right?

Personally, I think there's no such thing as a software watchdog. You can't write software to check if another piece of software has locked up. If I remember correctly it's one of those NP complete problems within the theories of complexity. :)

#35 mohammad

mohammad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

The code you attached before would restart the device repeatedly between 10:00 and 11:00 AM, effectively rendering it unusable during that time. Am I right?

Yes, you are right :), but by using the Timer class, you can implement it more effectively.

Personally, I think there's no such thing as a software watchdog. You can't write software to check if another piece of software has locked up. If I remember correctly it's one of those NP complete problems within the theories of complexity. :)

I partially agree with you ;), you know in multi-threading world, sometimes one thread blocks all its processes (e.g., this problem), and the problem is solved by a simple reboot. At this time, one thread can be in charge of software reboot, and the other threads are doing their tasks. If any fail or error situation occurs, the reboot thread can perform its task :)

#36 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

In the multi-threaded world, anything that theoretically can happen - will happen, for sure  :P

A hardware watchdog is a quite simple part, like this one for example:

http://www.analog.co...3_6824_6825.pdf

Simple operation, your micro periodically "checks in" by toggling the detector pin every 100ms. Should the device not hear from you in 140ms, it will briefly de-assert your reset pin, effectively causing an actual reboot.

I'm sure you can find a watchdog IC that is available in DIP8 - just stick it down the breadboard, connect 2 wires (plus power) and you're good.

#37 mohammad

mohammad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'm sure you can find a watchdog IC that is available in DIP8 - just stick it down the breadboard, connect 2 wires (plus power) and you're good.

Thanks for your information. I will try to buy one. Since I am not expert, is there any specific name/ID for the IC your mentioned?

#38 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I'm no expert either, nobody is :-)

The one I referred to is named ADM682x where x is 3, 4 or 5 depending on small differences in functionality (it's all in the datasheet) but it's only available in a 5-pin SOT23 package which is SMD (surface mount device) and thus cannot simply be snuck down a breadboard.

Instead, you probably want to use the classic DS1232 which is available in breadboard friendly DIP8 package. A nice feature is that timeout can be configured up to 2 seconds, so you don't have to check in that often, saving you some cpu time. It's about 1.50 USD and available at most electronic part resellers:

http://datasheets.ma...ds/DS1232LP.pdf

See figure 1 on page 3 on how to wire it. Another thing to consider is whether your Netduino has a soft or hard reset pin - if it's soft, a hardware watchdog won't be bullet proof after all. However, in the case of a soft reset, you could have the watchdog chip control the powerline to make sure the board actually reboots for sure no matter what.

Good luck and be sure to check back to report on your progress. I'm sure many here at the forum would be interested in a driver class for that chip so perhaps you could take on writing one...

#39 SamKr

SamKr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

Is the watchdog timer enabled for gen 2 hardware yet? Planning to move into developing for netduino but watchdog is a musthave requirement.

Thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.