Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Power via USB dies within seconds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BanksySan

BanksySan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBristol, United Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi, I may have bricked my N+. But I'm not sure what I did wrong. Currently, when I power via USB the power dies within seconds. I was trying Stefan's WiiChuck demo, so was powering off 3.3V and had Analogue 4 & 5 plugged in. I wanted to power the LCD screen next, so I plugged in a power source to the jack. The power supply says: MODEL:ADS-18C-12 0918GPB INPUT: 100-240V-50/60Hz MAX:0.6A OUTPUT: 9V 2.0A The CPU got very hot so I unplugged everything, let it cool down and then looked at it again, It will power via the jack now but when the USB lead is plugged in the light turn on, but fade out within a second. Could someone tell me what happened? I thought I was within tolerances, was power being drawn from both the USB and the jack? Thanks all Dave EDIT: It seems the WiiChuck was plugged in backwards. The N+ doesn't like that at all, I assume it shorts the 3.3V pin. it is powering fine off the USB again now. Phew. Can you tell me if those specs sound OK for the external power supply though? the 2.0A worries me a bit.

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

MODEL:ADS-18C-12 0918GPB
INPUT: 100-240V-50/60Hz
MAX:0.6A
OUTPUT: 9V 2.0A

Can you tell me if those specs sound OK for the external power supply though? the 2.0A worries me a bit.

They look OK to me. The output voltage is in range for the power jack. The block is also capable of supplying more current than necessary so the Netduino should not tax the supply. What you should find is that although the power supply is capable of supplying 2A, the Netduino will only draw the current it needs to operate.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

EDIT:

It seems the WiiChuck was plugged in backwards. The N+ doesn't like that at all, I assume it shorts the 3.3V pin.

it is powering fine off the USB again now. Phew.

Can you tell me if those specs sound OK for the external power supply though? the 2.0A worries me a bit.

I hope, by plugging in everything correctly, all do work fine now?

As Nevyn told you, the high amount of amperes is no problem at all. It's a maximum the power supply can deliver. Amperes aren't pushed, they're pulled. So if the Netduino only pulls 0.5A, it will only use 0.5A.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#4 BanksySan

BanksySan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBristol, United Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Aye, when it was plugged in the correct way around it worked fine. Still, I don't know why the CPU nearly went into meltdown though. Shorting the 3.3V pin would have just caused the auto resetting fuse to trigger. Stefan, When you did this, did you run both the WiiChuck and the LCD screen off the 'duino? The 3.3V & the 5V pin? Just thinking that, that might have been drawing too much. It's clutching at straws though.

#5 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

When you did this, did you run both the WiiChuck and the LCD screen off the 'duino? The 3.3V & the 5V pin? Just thinking that, that might have been drawing too much. It's clutching at straws though.

Yep. Although I used a 3V3 LCD I believe.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.