Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Powering the NetDuino Plus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CwbhX

CwbhX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Would a 9 Volt battery be sufficient to power the NetDuino for more than an hour? Is there a chance or damage? -Cwbh
-Cwbh

#2 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

Yep, no chance of damage. It may or may not power it for too long, though. 9V batteries don't have much capacity.

#3 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yep, no chance of damage. It may or may not power it for too long, though. 9V batteries don't have much capacity.

Right... and it would also depend on if you are powering anything else with that too... like LED's or such.
~ Eric D. Burdo ~ http://brick-labs.com/

Today LED's, tomorrow, the world!!! Well, OK, maybe servos.

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:23 PM

Would a 9 Volt battery be sufficient to power the NetDuino for more than an hour?

It depends on the battery capacity and Netduino power consumption - it draws about 45 mA when running (nothing connected to the I/O pins), so divide the battery capacity let's say 600 mAh by 45 mA to get the time: 600/45 = 13.33 h. However, this is only rough estimation, for more accurate results you'd need to know battery discharge curve and end voltage at the discharge current - the onboard regulator has voltage drop ~1 V, so supply voltage below ~6 V is too low for stable regulated 5V line.

#5 CwbhX

CwbhX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

:) that should be enough. I will buy a Lithium Ion 9v pack then. Thanks guys -Cwbh
-Cwbh

#6 Ward

Ward

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

:) that should be enough. I will buy a Lithium Ion 9v pack then. Thanks guys

-Cwbh

Or 7.2V. Note that since the board is linearly regulated, the power consumption is proportional to supply voltage...that is, as the supply voltage goes up, the current consumption stays the same, so total power consumed goes up. Where does that extra power go? It's heat dissipated by the linear regulators. Once you're comfortably above the dropout point of the highest voltage linear regulator on the board (5V regulator, 6V or so dropout per above), extra voltage doesn't buy you anything.

As somebody above pointed out, do watch the discharge curve on your battery and be careful about undervoltage. As the Netduino is designed for wall-power, there's no brownout protection. If you're serious about battery operation, you may want to add a reset controller...it's cheap insurance to prevent undefined operation.

#7 CwbhX

CwbhX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thank you for the information I will look into when i arrive at my new home. :)
-Cwbh

#8 Hai Nguyen

Hai Nguyen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

Thank you for the information I will look into when i arrive at my new home. :)

I guess you got the answer, but here according to tech specs:

● input: 7.5 - 12.0 VDC or USB powered
● output: 5 VDC and 3.3 VDC regulated
● analog reference: 2.6 - 3.3 VDC
only required when using ADC features

● max current: 8 mA per pin
digital pins 2, 3, 7: 16 mA per pin
analog pins 0-3: 2 mA per pin
microcontroller max current: 200 mA total
● digital i/o are 3.3 V--but 5 V tolerant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.