Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Temperature Monitor Project

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PhillipMorris

PhillipMorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSerres, HELLAS

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hello, a friend of mine is asking to build him a project in order to check the temperature of 3 (big) refrigerators. We want to do the following : - The system must monitor the three temperature sensors and when it exceeds a specific value it must send an SMS to a mobile phone as a warning. - We also want the system to be able to accept SMS messages and send back the value of a sensor Can you please help me picking up the correct hardware for netduino go ? I obviously need a GSM Module and three temperature modules. I have already ordered an netduino go board, some cables and a shield module. I am quite new to electronics but I have a background in .NET and mostly VB.NET Thanks.-

#2 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hello,
a friend of mine is asking to build him a project in order to check the temperature of 3 (big) refrigerators.
We want to do the following :
- The system must monitor the three temperature sensors and when it exceeds a specific value it must send an SMS to a mobile phone as a warning.
- We also want the system to be able to accept SMS messages and send back the value of a sensor

Can you please help me picking up the correct hardware for netduino go ?
I obviously need a GSM Module and three temperature modules.
I have already ordered an netduino go board, some cables and a shield module.
I am quite new to electronics but I have a background in .NET and mostly VB.NET

Thanks.-

Hello,

The thread that posted under shield base information may help you some, its in Visual Basic at least and uses a RGB display, relays and TMP36 sensors etc. it would be easy to adapt for the control portion.

VB Temperature Monitor

There are several GSM shields out but I have not used them yet, I am waiting patiently (Chris B) ) for the Go modules to start hitting the street.

If you just want a message and have internet onsite you can most likely set up SMS for a text message without the GSM.

Having multiple setpoint in the code can provide alarms, warnings and messages for each refrigeration unit.

I would also include a DIO for a door switch to indicate if someone is opening the door and causeing a temperature problem (maybe a time log, door opening vs temperature).

The Netduino Go should be a good choice, 12 bit ADC and the readings are a lot more stable.

Good luck,
Chuck

#3 emg

emg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

We have setup a SMS Gateway for a customer that works well, has lots of options and is cheap:

Clickatell

I'm sure there are plenty others similar as well. As long as you have an internet connection, you can send via multiple means. They have a very extensive API that includes:

HTTP/S
XML
FTP
SMTP
SMPP
SOAP
COM Object API

To create a robust solution, I would offload the sending/receiving to a windows service running on their file server that polls the Netduino as required. You would probably want to have some sort of message 'flood' control (only send 1 or 2 messages at some threshold and quiet for a period, repeat, etc). Also, make sure you handle power outages (UPS on key equipment, etc) to get the message out. (That's one advantage of a GSM-based solution)

#4 PhillipMorris

PhillipMorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSerres, HELLAS

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

I forgot to mention that there is no internet connections nearby. Please recomment a GSM module and a temperature sensor module. Is there a module with TMP36 sensor ? I also found this : http://netduino2seedgsm.codeplex.com/ Anyone ever tested this ? Thanks for your help.

#5 PhillipMorris

PhillipMorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSerres, HELLAS

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Any suggestions for me ?

#6 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Any suggestions for me ?

How far away are you from the card? , where you are taking the readings from, 1 or 2 km

Chuck

#7 PhillipMorris

PhillipMorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSerres, HELLAS

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

I am about 2 km away. The readings should reach my friend mobile phone via SMS. Thanks

#8 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

I am about 2 km away.
The readings should reach my friend mobile phone via SMS.

Thanks

What I was thinking about was using Xbee modules to transmit and recieve the data. I have not used them before but a lot of people here in the forum have.

Just a quick look at there information state that there range outside (line of sight) can be up to 25 km for the XBee Pro 900 XSC RPSMA (about $72.00 each) or 10 km for the XBee Pro 900 RPSMA (about $55.00 each) plus wire and yagi antennas.

What country are you in? Most of the modules are approved for the US and Canada, but some may not be approved in Europe.

The Netduino Go! with shield base could provide a stable temperature signals, alarms and data display on the sending side and a Netduino Plus on the Receiving side for data logging, connection to the internet and emails to cell phones.

This system could allow for continuous monitoring of the refrigerators, with multiple setpoints (warning / alarm) and status of doors and power.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

#9 PhillipMorris

PhillipMorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSerres, HELLAS

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for your help, Chuck. My friend needs a solution using GSM so I cannot avoid it. I assume that nobody tested a gsm module with netduino go or it is too difficult to implement. Anyway, thanks for your time... PS. I live in Greece. Mike.-

#10 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for your help, Chuck.
My friend needs a solution using GSM so I cannot avoid it.
I assume that nobody tested a gsm module with netduino go or it is too difficult to implement.
Anyway, thanks for your time...

PS. I live in Greece.

Mike.-

Mike,

That may not be the case, you titled the question "Netduino Temperature Monitor Project". There is a lot of information on that subject and may not have drawn much attention. A better way may have been "How can I use a Netduino to send sensor data over a GSM shield". You may want to re-post the question.

I have ordered a GSM shield but will take a week or to get it. Once it comes in I will try to help set something up.

There is a lot of active members in Europe, that spend a lot of time helping on this forum, I am sure they would be willing to help.

Take care,

Chuck

#11 PhillipMorris

PhillipMorris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSerres, HELLAS

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Chuck, please tell me where you got it from. I will order one for my just for testing. Thanks for everything, Mike.-

#12 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Chuck,
please tell me where you got it from. I will order one for my just for testing.

Thanks for everything,
Mike.-

I order from GSM / GPSR Shield.

I believe it is coming from Hong Kong.

Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.