Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

GO! Module wishlist

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 EricMeyer

EricMeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAllen, Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Here are some of the modules I'm personally waiting for:

• Ethernet / Wifi
  • SD/MC and MicrosSD modules
  • USB Host (for using keyboards and usb sticks)
  • Module prototyping module (Aron Chapman and ItsDan are working on this)
  • Motor Driver
  • Stepper Motor
  • Camera
  • Temperature and Humidity sensor
  • Barometric pressure sensor
  • GPS
  • Compass
  • More types of displays
  • RFID reader
  • RFID Writer
  • XBEE
What about the rest of you ... any modules that you are waiting for? (Or any that you are working on that you care to talk about?)

-Eric

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

I think a lot of people are quite excited about the potential for module development. Personally, I've got some SM32F4 and STM8S discovery kits and have been getting my head round coding for those. (The STM32 in particular will make you realise how spoiled you are working in C#!) Hopefully these will be a good starting point and provide a very cheap ST-Link tool too. I hope to be milling my own PCBs for modules. Not sure yet if I'm up to the job of producing and soldering TSSOP/LQFP, but I guess I'll find out. SOIC has been the best I've done so far. It's a pity they're not available as DIP for initial tinkering. Aaron and ItsDan's prototype module may prove very useful. Is it a bit sad that I'm off on holiday next week and am slightly irritated that I'll be on the beach rather than geeking out with the module stuff? :lol:

#3 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Personally, I've got some SM32F4 and STM8S discovery kits and have been getting my head round coding for those. (The STM32 in particular will make you realise how spoiled you are working in C#!) Hopefully these will be a good starting point and provide a very cheap ST-Link tool too.

I've played with both the STM32 Discovery and the STM8 Discovery boards and they are nice to work with. Going back to working with C after spending the last 7 years working with C# was a shock. I'm kind of looking at having a go at ARM assembler with the STM32. I don't know why but I just fancy it.

I hope to be milling my own PCBs for modules. Not sure yet if I'm up to the job of producing and soldering TSSOP/LQFP, but I guess I'll find out. SOIC has been the best I've done so far. It's a pity they're not available as DIP for initial tinkering.

RS Components in the UK have the STM8S105 in DIP format. I've just ordered a couple yesterday to see what they are like. Chris also posted a link to Proto Advantage as they have a TSSOP to DIP board. They will assemble the board and put the STM8S on it for you for a small fee.

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#4 mtylerjr

mtylerjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Here are some of the modules I'm personally waiting for:

• Ethernet / Wifi
  • SD/MC and MicrosSD modules
  • USB Host (for using keyboards and usb sticks)
  • Module prototyping module (Aron Chapman and ItsDan are working on this)
  • Motor Driver
  • Stepper Motor
  • Camera
  • Temperature and Humidity sensor
  • Barometric pressure sensor
  • GPS
  • Compass
  • More types of displays
  • RFID reader
  • RFID Writer
  • XBEE
What about the rest of you ... any modules that you are waiting for? (Or any that you are working on that you care to talk about?)

-Eric

Thats an awesome list!

Modules I'd like to see in addition to yours:
Text-to-speech module
Photo-eye sensor module
Range/ping sensor module (Parallax just released a laser range finder sensor, but it is SLOOOOOW)
3-axis Acceleromter/Tilt module
Big 64x64 LED Grid Module (An 8 x 8 x 8 LED cube module would be awesome)
A GPRS/CDMA module
Flux capacitor module
FTL/warp drive module
Holographic projector module

#5 EricMeyer

EricMeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAllen, Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I didn't mention the last three on your list since I thought those are such obvious choices. Posted Image

Regarding a LED Cube module ... that would be fantastic! I have been wanting to play around with one forever.

I would also love to see a IR motion detector module.

-Eric

Thats an awesome list!

Modules I'd like to see in addition to yours:
Text-to-speech module
Photo-eye sensor module
Range/ping sensor module (Parallax just released a laser range finder sensor, but it is SLOOOOOW)
3-axis Acceleromter/Tilt module
Big 64x64 LED Grid Module (An 8 x 8 x 8 LED cube module would be awesome)
A GPRS/CDMA module
Flux capacitor module
FTL/warp drive module
Holographic projector module

#6 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

I would like to see:
  • Ethernet module
  • (micro)SD module
  • XBee module
  • DC Motor module
  • Servo motor module
  • T.A.R.D.I.S. module (in Netduino header-blue)
  • Piezo module
  • Audio module
And a lot of others, but those for starters :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#7 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

RS Components in the UK have the STM8S105 in DIP format.

That's handy to know. I ordered from Farnell yesterday and they didn't have any. I didn't think RS would be any different. Anyway, I should probably man up and try TSSOP anyway.

Another thing, did I miss where the spec for the Go!bus (or maybe example native code) was posted? Taking a look at something like the RGB LED module code would be ideal.

Sorry, just realised I'm dragging the wishlist thread off track a bit. I have no idea what module I'll make yet, but I want to make something.

#8 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Anyway, I should probably man up and try TSSOP anyway.

I plucked up the courage to try it and have managed to get a TSSOP soldered to one of Sparkfun's adapters and it seems to be working. I managed to program the chip today and set it up to output it's internal clock signal and the scope is showing a good waveform.

I tried drag soldering but could not get it perfect so ended up soldering each pin with the finest soldering tip I had.

Have fun,
Mark

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

#9 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

An 8 x 8 x 8 LED cube module would be awesome

They are a devil to make. There's a Netduino Mini powered cube in the Wiki.

Takes about 40 hours to make :)

Regards,
Mark

#10 EricMeyer

EricMeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAllen, Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Mark,

Great work! You have more patience than I ... wow.

I would love one of those.

-Eric

They are a devil to make. There's a Netduino Mini powered cube in the Wiki.

#11 mtylerjr

mtylerjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

Mark,

Great work! You have more patience than I ... wow.

I would love one of those.

-Eric

See, if we had an 8 x 8 x 8 LED cube module, then we could drive 8 of them from a single NDGO!, arrange those in a larger cube, and have an awesome 16 x 16 x 16 super cube! Obviously each would need its own power source...

Seriously though, what would be cool, and its probably one of those things that is either simple or impossible - a Go!Bus socket multiplexer module, that would allow you to connect up to x number of additional modules (2? 4? 8?), and be able to software select which physical module is "connected" to that port. In theory you could then chain these and with some clever coding, connect as many modules as you want, and switch between them on the fly. Use the same port for a button and an LED, if you dont need them both at the same time. If you were flashing an LED and sounding a repeating alarm on a speaker module, you could cycle between them and flash the light, beep the speaker, and switch back and forth and actually use them both "simultaneously" using the same port in that case. Or even connect 8 button modules, and sweep through them to "sample" if they are being pressed, etc...

Im pretty sure secret labs is way ahead of us and has thought along these lines already though, but it seems like it could be a cool idea.

#12 Mattster

Mattster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Locationusually South Florida

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

Rapid switching between the modules is fine but I'm sort of hankering for using the intelligence on the module as a dispatchable task engine that runs as an independent coprocessor. Dunno that the 8S has the horsepower for that, but some of the boards have stronger CPUs. Like the Nwazet display module.

#13 mtylerjr

mtylerjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Okay, I just stumbled upon this:

http://blog.makezine...ruit-led-strip/

We should ask Fabien and Bertrand to make an RGB LED Video wall module for the Go. :)

#14 JTD

JTD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

• IR Blaster(s)
  • IR Sensor

#15 Fabian Nunez

Fabian Nunez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

Optical mouse sensor, with a modified lens so it can be used as a (very) low resolution camera for basic machine vision. The most common sensors have SPI interfaces, so they're easy to use. See eg here and here (pdf doc).

#16 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Is there a maintained list somewhere of what modules Secret Labs is working on and what Modules nwazet is working on and the ETA? I think this would help people from trying to re-invent the wheel. Also, I'd like to see a development module. Everything on it but the sensor and maybe a proto area to solder a few more components. Would help with quick prototyping.

#17 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Is there a maintained list somewhere of what modules Secret Labs is working on and what Modules nwazet is working on and the ETA? I think this would help people from trying to re-invent the wheel.

Also, I'd like to see a development module. Everything on it but the sensor and maybe a proto area to solder a few more components. Would help with quick prototyping.

http://wiki.netduino...GO-Modules.ashx

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#18 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

For me my wishlist is: an Ethernet module with SSL support Multiple RFID reader modules, (legic, hid, mifare etc. all the major ones basically) be great for inteligent building projects/my day job ;-) Bit bangable serial module to do variable bit serial USB Host module MIDI interface Probably many more once my GO ! arrivies :)

#19 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Any ETA on when the SD module will be available?

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi Dave,

Any ETA on when the SD module will be available?

We're waiting on the microchips right now. Once they arrive, about 3-4 weeks to manufacture and 1-2 weeks to get into distribution. Chips should be here soon. I'll keep you guys updated.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.