Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Must to be sure

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

I just read about Netduino Plus on Engadget and quite impressed. You want to say that I can buy fully capable .NET Micro Framework 4.1 board with Ethernet and microSD for 60$? And I can program using .NET Micro Framework or going with C++? When it's going to be available in Switzerland (let's say www.dshop.ch)? I have been waiting several months for something like this. Amazing :) Also, maybe there are some cheap screens that could use with this board? Thanks, david

#2 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

What kind of screen? Like a display screen (similar to a PSP or Nintendo DS) or like a LCD 16x2 panel?
~ Eric D. Burdo ~ http://brick-labs.com/

Today LED's, tomorrow, the world!!! Well, OK, maybe servos.

#3 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:19 PM

I would like to hear about both of them, but very much depends on the money. I am not looking to invest hundreds of dollars for possible new hobby.

#4 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

I would like to hear about both of them, but very much depends on the money. I am not looking to invest hundreds of dollars for possible new hobby.

16x2 panels (and you can get them bigger) look something like this:

Posted Image

Here is the SparkFun LCD panel shown above. They are pretty easy to program with the Netduino (some good examples if you search the forums). They come in a few different colors...

A graphics screen... maybe something like this:
Posted Image

Here is the Sparkfun page for the above graphics screen. It's a PSP screen 4.3" - full color.

Not sure... I don't have one, so I haven't tried it yet. I think the Netduino could handle it... All depends on what you wanted it to do. Obviously the full color screens cost a lot more than the character LCD screens.

#5 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:06 PM

Because I am newbie around here I am gonna ask a lot of questions. All those panels comes without any standard connections? Will I have to wire them to development board myself looking at the specification of both? PSP screen doesn't look a cheap one, but would be interesting Netduino Plus could handle it.

#6 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:47 PM

If by standard, you mean .1" male headers, yes.

#7 Eric Burdo

Eric Burdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

but would be interesting Netduino Plus could handle it.

You'd have to test it... I think the Netduino (or the Plus) would handle it... but I'll let someone with more experience say yeah/nay.

And you don't have to get those specific ones.. I just happened to find them quickly at SparkFun. There are plenty of places to buy stuff.

#8 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

The Netduino will certainly be able to handle any typical monochrome LCD, be it character or graphic (may or may not need a driver board). What it will not be able to do, however, is directly drive a PSP like color screen; that requires far more RAM than the Netduino has.

#9 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:21 AM

I checked other monitors, smaller one, they have quite acceptable price for me. Just now thinking about how hard it would be to connect them. Most of .NET Micro Framework boards have at least 8MB of RAM, this board is quite limited. But that's the reason of the low price. A bit aside, let's say I have 4 small engines 1.5-5V. Would be possible to connected them and control the speed of each of them separately? 1.5V - 10 000rpm, 5V - 30 000 prm.

#10 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:45 AM

I checked other monitors, smaller one, they have quite acceptable price for me. Just now thinking about how hard it would be to connect them.

Most of .NET Micro Framework boards have at least 8MB of RAM, this board is quite limited. But that's the reason of the low price.

A bit aside, let's say I have 4 small engines 1.5-5V. Would be possible to connected them and control the speed of each of them separately? 1.5V - 10 000rpm, 5V - 30 000 prm.

Probably not - voltage wouldn't be the issue per se, it'd be amperage. Also - you weren't very clear on your motors - what kind are they? Stepper? You might need a separate motor controller connected to the netduino to be able to properly power and control the motors (where the netduino would be in charge of controlling the motor controller).

#11 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:43 PM

That's http://www.active-ro...tics/tpm2.shtml Okay, when it would be possible expect Netduino Plus available in Switzerland? Any official statements?

#12 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

That's http://www.active-ro...tics/tpm2.shtml

Would you also need to control the direction of rotation or just on/off and speed (in one direction)?

#13 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:07 PM

Would you also need to control the direction of rotation or just on/off and speed (in one direction)?

I don't need direction. And I would like to control 4 of them. But maybe first I should still figure out how to get the dev board first :)

#14 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

I don't need direction. And I would like to control 4 of them.

You can start with a simple transistor switch, for example have a look at this schematic. I would recommend using transistor with a little bit higher current than depicted BC547 (100 mA max), like BC337 (500 mA) or 2N22xx, because according to the description the motor can draw ~120 mA when stall at 5V. The speed control is achieved via PWM, duty cycle 0 means no power (off), duty cycle 50 is half speed and 100 is full power (max speed). With such a small motor you are probably fine only with the transistor, you can use IC that has several of them integrated in one package. To drive a larger DC motor a power MOSFET/IGBT transistor will be better, when you need to control the direction a specialized driver ("H-bridge") is probably the best option.

But maybe first I should still figure out how to get the dev board first :)

Fingers crossed Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.