Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Does anyone have the (G) logo as an Eagle part?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAnne Arundel County, MD

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

I'm just about done with the initial board design of a cool module. Does anyone have the (G) logo as an Eagle CAD part? Also, are there any guidelines around its use? Similarly, I'm having to create the STM and related chips in Eagle. Does anyone have those as Eagle parts they can share? Pete
Pete Brown - http://10rem.net (NETMF, C++, Windows, C64, and general geekery) Twitter: @pete_brown
I work for Microsoft. Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,our partners or customers.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hi Pete, The potentiometer and rgb led modules were done in Eagle. You can grab their design files from the Wiki, complete with (G) logo. Please note that the go!bus (G) interoperability logo is a trademark, and we will be providing a list of basic requirements for its use. It's a free license and there are onlly a few rules...but we are laying down some basic requirements to make sure that all go!modules work with all go!bus-compliant boards (given enough power, flash, and ram--the traditional constraints). When someone sees the go!bus logo, they should know that it "just works" -- similar to USB. That's very important. We can make sure you're good to go with the spec and the logo... We'll have an official click-through-online-license soon. Chris

#3 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Please note that the go!bus (G) interoperability logo is a trademark, and we will be providing a list of basic requirements for its use. It's a free license and there are onlly a few rules...but we are laying down some basic requirements to make sure that all go!modules work with all go!bus-compliant boards (given enough power, flash, and ram--the traditional constraints).

When someone sees the go!bus logo, they should know that it "just works" -- similar to USB. That's very important.

Thanks Chris.

Do you take into account modules that support both Gadgeteer and Netduino, and which may require an on-board switch or jumper set to use with one or the other? When designing this module, I saw that I had to choose between either UART or SWIM/Reset on the pins, and couldn't see any good way to do it without a dip switch or jumper.

Pete
Pete Brown - http://10rem.net (NETMF, C++, Windows, C64, and general geekery) Twitter: @pete_brown
I work for Microsoft. Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,our partners or customers.

#4 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

BTW, it isn't just Gadgeteer with the UART, but also classic Netduino and Arduino

#5 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

I suppose I could switch modes based on whether or not pin 3 is held high or something. Hmm. That's a couple extra discrete components, but not the end of the world, especially since they'd be cheaper than a dip switch. Anyone else doing this? (dual targeting GO and Netduino/Arduino/Gadgeteer) I'm curious if a pattern has already been established. Hogging the SPI port isn't something I can do in most cases. Pete

#6 EricMeyer

EricMeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAllen, Texas

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Pete, If it isn't pattern, I hope it becomes one. It would be awesome to have lots of dual targeting modules to choose from. -Eric

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Thanks Chris.

Do you take into account modules that support both Gadgeteer and Netduino, and which may require an on-board switch or jumper set to use with one or the other? When designing this module, I saw that I had to choose between either UART or SWIM/Reset on the pins, and couldn't see any good way to do it without a dip switch or jumper.

Pete

If you're designing an STM8S-based module which uses a UART, I'd recommend just using SPI for communication from the mainboard...and then using the UART pins on the STM8S to send data to/from your on-module components.

You could also create a bypass for "non-netduino-go" mode...but one of the things that makes Netduino Go so nice is that things just work. Adding manual switches just complicates your project. Arduino got rid of their physical power selector switch in leiu of smart switching...a good precedent.

That said...Netduino Go is also about the freedom to create things however you'd like. So let's pick a sample application and work through the details...and see what magic we can make happen together. :)

Chris

#8 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

I suppose I could switch modes based on whether or not pin 3 is held high or something. Hmm. That's a couple extra discrete components, but not the end of the world, especially since they'd be cheaper than a dip switch.

Anyone else doing this? (dual targeting GO and Netduino/Arduino/Gadgeteer) I'm curious if a pattern has already been established. Hogging the SPI port isn't something I can do in most cases.

Pete

I'd love do that. No doubt that I love much more creating hardware than software.
However, I guess there's still some brick missing to the Go! platform. For instance, is there somewhere the STM8L template/walkthrough for creating intelligent modules? I'm pretty ready for starting with them.

At the moment, I really would not be able to do anything more than a stand-alone project using the STM8L (or AVR).
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.