Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Hardware Details: Shield Base

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 craiglink

craiglink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

Any updates when SerialPort virtualization and SPI virtualization will be exposed from the ShieldBase to the NetduinoGo board? Thanks -Craig

#22 craiglink

craiglink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Any thoughts on making an Arduino Mega compatible shield base, exposing more io pins?

#23 Tweek

Tweek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

What are the proper pin locations to use the PWM channels? I know PWM3 is on Digital 10, but how about the others? Also is I2C available on the shield base currently? If so what pins are SDA and SCL? Is it analog 4/5 similar to the netduino plus? Would it be possible to release a pinout diagram to negate these questions in the future? It would make it much easier to work with.

#24 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hi Tweek,

What are the proper pin locations to use the PWM channels? I know PWM3 is on Digital 10, but how about the others? Also is I2C available on the shield base currently? If so what pins are SDA and SCL? Is it analog 4/5 similar to the netduino plus? Would it be possible to release a pinout diagram to negate these questions in the future? It would make it much easier to work with.

UART, SPI, and I2C aren't exposed on the Shield Base (in proxy mode) quite yet. You can use UART and SPI if you deploy code directly to it, if you want to hack away that way for the moment.

We currently have channels 1-4 mapped to the four PWM channels as on Netduino and the other 2 PWM channels to the remaining 2 Arduino PWMs. But we've gotten feedback that this is a bit confusing, so we may remap those in a beta update to be sequential on the headers (and also add a method which lets you specify a pin instead of a channel #).

Chris

#25 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

We currently have channels 1-4 mapped to the four PWM channels as on Netduino and the other 2 PWM channels to the remaining 2 Arduino PWMs. But we've gotten feedback that this is a bit confusing, so we may remap those in a beta update to be sequential on the headers (and also add a method which lets you specify a pin instead of a channel #).

Just a thought on the remapping/confusion. Which is more important for the user base - compatibility with the Arduino platform / shields or a sequential set of pins for a function.

I never remember these things unless I use them every day and so use things like the pinout cards which have been created for the Netduino and Mini.

Maybe just producing a pinout card for the Shieldbase would be adequete. I know I'd be happy with that as a solution. In fact I'd prbably prefer this as it reduces the risk of compatibility problems.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#26 DaveRVW

DaveRVW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

Okay, I've created a HelloWorld for the shield base as its own standalone netmf board. How do I get it back to use connected to the Go? Is ShieldProxy posted somewhere? Or a firmware binary? Edit: I see the early module flashing utility posted earlier. What's the chance it'll brick the main or shield boards? Thanks.

#27 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

I appear to have done something unkind to my shield base. 2 things: 1) I'd like to reflash the sheild base back to the proxy, as above. 2) How did you get the hello world to work - did you flash the board? I plugged in the FTDI to d0/d1 rx/tx and 3.3v ground from a working board Jack

#28 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Edit: I see the early module flashing utility posted earlier. What's the chance it'll brick the main or shield boards?

Very unlikely. In fact, it should be pretty much impossible to brick them. Worst case we can reflash something. They both have 10,000+ or 100,000+ rewrite cycles.

Here's the link to reflash the shield base to its production firmware (easier than deploying virtual i/o code etc.)
http://forums.netdui...-based-modules/

Chris

#29 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi Jack,

1) I'd like to reflash the sheild base back to the proxy, as above.

The easiest way is to use the reflashing tool:
http://forums.netdui...-based-modules/

2) How did you get the hello world to work - did you flash the board? I plugged in the FTDI to d0/d1 rx/tx and 3.3v ground from a working board

That should be it. You also need to provide 3.3V and GND from a regulated power source (on the 3V3/GND pins). And double-check that TX/RX are crossed correctly between your FTDI and the Shield Base. But otherwise you should be good to go.

Chris

#30 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

My Win 7 64 bit machine just blue screened in the middle of the reflash. Now the Netduino Go is doing a very disconcerting "all blue lights flashing" thing. I'm going to reflash the GO. Jack Edit: reflashed the GO. GO's OK (I think it was OK beforehand). But pluggin in the shield base give the all blue lights flashing thing.

#31 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Edit: reflashed the GO. GO's OK (I think it was OK beforehand). But pluggin in the shield base give the all blue lights flashing thing.

Hmm, that sounds like one of the protection modes kicking in and resetting the mainboard repeatedly.

If you unplug the shield base, does the mainboard reboot okay?

If you deploy the reflash app to the mainboard with the shield base detached, does the mainboard still start up okay?

If you then attach the shield base and repower the mainboard, does it flash the Shield Base alright?

The mainboard will keep the shield base turned off by default at boot...so there should be a good way to orchestrate this :) We built in several failure and backup modes.

Chris

#32 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hmm, that sounds like one of the protection modes kicking in and resetting the mainboard repeatedly.

1. If you unplug the shield base, does the mainboard reboot okay?

2. If you deploy the reflash app to the mainboard with the shield base detached, does the mainboard still start up okay?

3. If you then attach the shield base and repower the mainboard, does it flash the Shield Base alright?

The mainboard will keep the shield base turned off by default at boot...so there should be a good way to orchestrate this :) We built in several failure and backup modes.

Chris

In response to the renumbered list:
1) Yes
2) "Assemblies successfully deployed to device." Socket 5 is lit (that's the one I selected for the reflash) Then I unplug the USB.
3) Plug it in, all lights flash, then socket 5 steady. Wait a long time. Get bored. Reboot. Chip on Shield Base gets very hot.

Performed the same procedure. Changed the socket number to 4. Same result: plug in the shield base to 4, turn on the GO. All lights flash. Then 4 light only - steady, no flashing. Processor on shield base gets too hot to touch.

#33 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Jack, Is it possible that power was connected backwards to your Shield Base at any time? We'd like to swap you for a new Shield Base and do some diagnostics. The modules are wired in a way where reverse power is not possible via the bus...and we'd like to see exactly what state your Shield Base is in. You have PM. :) Chris

#34 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

I try to avoid things like that but it's possible. It's possible that I've put 5V down the 3.3V rail too. My problem is that in the UK, at the moment, the shield base isn't available separately. In any case, I'll send back my shield base to help your diagnosis. Jack

#35 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

Hi Jack,

I try to avoid things like that but it's possible. It's possible that I've put 5V down the 3.3V rail too. My problem is that in the UK, at the moment, the shield base isn't available separately.

Applying 5V power to a 3V3 chip probably wouldn't be good :) They are 5V tolerant on digital inputs...but the input power can be quite particular on Cortex micros.

You can pick up the Shield Base and individual modules from UAE, although I'm not sure how much shipping costs...
http://shop.microfra...ctOut.aspx/3798

In any case, I'll send back my shield base to help your diagnosis.

If you don't mind waiting 2 weeks for delivery, I'd be happy to send you a replacement board via USPS Global Priority Mail.

Chris

#36 Jack Chidley

Jack Chidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks Chris. I sent my address in reply to the PM. Jack

#37 DaveRVW

DaveRVW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

2) How did you get the hello world to work - did you flash the board? I plugged in the FTDI to d0/d1 rx/tx and 3.3v ground from a working board

I used an FTDI breakout like Chris described, and just used the template for a Microsoft .NET Micro Framework 4.2 Console Appplication (no Netduino Go references). Made sure the settings were to deploy to Serial, and joy it worked. And created a prototype shield for the shield base to do all the wiring from FTDI cable with 3.3V regulator. That worked too. I can share that later.

Then I tried a new program using GPIO pins 2, 11, 12, 13 (wasn't quite sure how the pins are numbered??) and I've gotten the shield hung up where it won't respond to mfdeploy ping. Putting it aside for now and will try reseting and reflashing tomorrow.

#38 DaveRVW

DaveRVW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Putting it aside for now and will try reseting and reflashing tomorrow.

Reflashing using STM32ReflashApp worked. The instructions say to connect the shield base to socket 4 but the code says socket 5. Nice to have the leds next to the sockets to give an indication of who is talking to what. Easy enough to switch sockets and re-run.

Thanks!

#39 DaveRVW

DaveRVW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Then I tried a new program using GPIO pins 2, 11, 12, 13 (wasn't quite sure how the pins are numbered??) and I've gotten the shield hung up where it won't respond to mfdeploy ping.

Trying to blink Cpu.Pin.GPIO_Pin13 (13) isn't working for me when using the shield as a standalone netduino (without the Go).

What are the proper pin definitions for D0..D13 and A0..A5 for using the bonus 512K shield base as a separate netduino? Where are these defined? Is there a good place to look in the shield base firmware?

Thanks in advance.

#40 DaveRVW

DaveRVW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

... created a prototype shield for the shield base to do all the wiring from FTDI cable with 3.3V regulator. That worked too. I can share that later.

Plugging this into the shield base by itself, and plugging FTDI Cable 5V into the six pin right angle jack, this provides power and access to the 512K shield base via USB to serial. This way the 512K shield base can be used separate from the Go, as a low priced Netduino.

The 3.3V regulator is LM1117MPX-3.3/NOPB (SOT-223), with a 10uF tantalum capacitor on 5V input, and 22uF tantalum capacitor on 3.3V output. I used the freetronics prototype shield and populated it with a reset button, power LEDs, 0.1uF filter capacitors, and Arduino style headers (sorry IOREF, SCL, SDA). TX and RX from the FTDI are connected to D0 and D1 of the Netduino.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
(click on pictures to see larger)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.