Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Introducing Netduino Go

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#81 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

If I may ask my first of many dumb questions, where can I get more go!bus cables?

Amazon.com had them but may be out of stock.

Nwazet.com had them in 3 sizes.

#82 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hi Corey,

If I may ask my first of many dumb questions, where can I get more go!bus cables?

To add to what Carb said, here you go...

Amazon

Nwazet

Proto-Advantage

#83 RoamingG

RoamingG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

Several dozen modules will ship this year

Is a module with an High-Ampere Relay also in the list?
In one of my Netduino projects I had to drive a 300W motor (startup peak power of 1KW) and I had really hard time finding a relay module that interfaced with the Netduino and had a good electrical separation between high and low voltage.

Only one guy from China made those modules for the Arduino/Netduino and I bought a bucketful of those just in case.

But it will be nice to see more mainstream support for those of us who want to interface with 100~250VAC devices.

#84 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Is a module with an High-Ampere Relay also in the list?

Absolutely, www.nwazet.com has it already for pre-order.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#85 JJJ

JJJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

First of all, this is an amazing, clever and scalable project! But i cannot buy it until ethernet module is ready, whet it will be? Thank you Gerardo

#86 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi Gerado,

First of all, this is an amazing, clever and scalable project!

But i cannot buy it until ethernet module is ready, whet it will be?

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm sure the team will appreciate it!

The Ethernet module will be available soon. We're using a groundbreaking new microcontroller on it, so the module couldn't make it quite in time for launch. I'll keep you all apprised.

We designed the Netduino Go (mainboard) to support this and a whole array of new module types over the next few years.

Chris

#87 Mike Hole

Mike Hole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Just taken delivery of my shiny new Go kit :) now who can send me (or direct me to) the current API for it? Thanks in advance, Mike

#88 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Just taken delivery of my shiny new Go kit :) now who can send me (or direct me to) the current API for it?

Hi Mike,

Check out http://forums.netdui...d-instructions/
you'll find the files there ;)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#89 EricMeyer

EricMeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationAllen, Texas

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a GO Starter Kit from Amazon. Haven't messed with the microframework in quite awhile, but the GO seems to have a huge amount of potential, I couldn't help but get one for myself. Now I need to order one of the mounting plates and a display from http://www.nwazet.com/ and I'll be all set. -Eric

#90 Jarrod Sinclair

Jarrod Sinclair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Wow Chris and team. This is an great advancement over the previous models. I cant wait to get a hold of one and come up with a project worthy of it :-)

#91 Mike Hole

Mike Hole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Nope, completely different. .NET Gadgeteer is a pin assignment technology. go!bus is an IO virtualization technology. So you can have as many IOs as memory permits.

SUX type is the Gadgeteer compatibility type for the sockets. You can use most S (SPI), U (UART), or X (4 GPIO) Gadgeteer modules (and some Y modules). A number of the proprietary ones won't work. We'll have a full list--with drivers--in the next week or two. If you want to know if a certain one works or not, just ask.

Chris

No mentions of H modules what type is that? Be really cool if we could make use of the camera module or even bas a new module on one: http://www.coolcompo...dule-p-834.html

#92 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi Mike,

No mentions of H modules what type is that? Be really cool if we could make use of the camera module or even bas a new module on one: http://www.coolcompo...dule-p-834.html

Good question. "H" is a Gadgeteer socket type for USB Host. A Gadgeteer-compatible mainboard doesn't need to just have a USB Host-enabled socket though...it also needs to support the particular USB profile of that USB camera. Also, several Gadgeteer modules only work with a specific model of mainboard or require confidential software drivers.

That's one of the nice things about using go!bus virtualization on Netduino Go. You can pick up any go!module and, given enough flash and RAM and power supply, you just plug it in and go.

I would bet that someone ships a camera go!module sometime this year. I'm looking forward to playing with one for sure.

Chris

#93 RoamingG

RoamingG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

Absolutely, www.nwazet.com has it already for pre-order.

Thanks! that exactly what I need.
I wish the Netduino Go would have been available six months ago. It would have save me a ton of time.

#94 Arbiter

Arbiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

The Ethernet module will be available soon. We're using a groundbreaking new microcontroller on it, so the module couldn't make it quite in time for launch. I'll keep you all apprised.

Is the TCP stack more stable in the face of high traffic?

This is looking phenomenal. My significant other will go berserk when she finds out my workshop needs a total refit.

Just thinking about go!bus and Gadgeteer and prototyping in general, and here's a silly question for you: having prototyped and got everything to work, are there any tools for the transition from prototype to production? If I have Eagle files for all the modules, is there some software you can tell "I have these boards connected thusly, here are the eagle files for them, now give me one big board layout and bill of materials" ?

Certainly there are companies in China that will take an eagle file and a credit card number and post you finished boards.
One day, all this too shall parse.

#95 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Is the TCP stack more stable in the face of high traffic?

That's part of the reason for the change. We can't guarantee against DDoS, but the distributed networking MCU design should help.

Just thinking about go!bus and Gadgeteer and prototyping in general, and here's a silly question for you: having prototyped and got everything to work, are there any tools for the transition from prototype to production? If I have Eagle files for all the modules, is there some software you can tell "I have these boards connected thusly, here are the eagle files for them, now give me one big board layout and bill of materials" ?

We've designed Netduino Go to support this type of scenario. You can use go!bus on your custom circuit board...but in many cases it'll probably make the most sense to pick up the appropriate STM32F2/4 chip (with up to 170 pins or so) which has the pins and features you need...and then reuse your code with an integrated design there. [And if you need the virtualization for your production product...that's fine too!]

Chris

#96 LenR

LenR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Will the Ethernet ENC28 Module (Type S) from GHI, or the ethernet shield work with the GO? I just ordered mine from Amazon.

#97 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hi LenR,

Will the Ethernet ENC28 Module (Type S) from GHI, or the ethernet shield work with the GO? I just ordered mine from Amazon.

With the Ethernet Gadgeteer modules, there are a few of them and they all seem to require specific boards to make them work. An "S" on a Gadgeteer module does not mean that it will work with any S-capable Gadgeteer socket. The "E" ones only work with certain boards. And the "Z" ones can be board-specific.

If you'd like to use that module in Gadgeteer mode (i.e. using 4 sockets), you could compile in the ENC28J60 driver for NETMF 4.2 and have networking. We actually did this with that module during development, as a test...and it seemed to work.

If you have one of the old DFRobot or old Arduino Ethernet shields (the ones that don't need the ICSP headers) you'll be able to use that with the Shield Base soon... Also, the newer Arduino Ethernet shields will work if you sandwich a MakerShield in the middle (so that you get the ICSP headers). My personal recommendation is to wait for the Netduino Go Ethernet module...we'll have support for that in the core SDK.

Chris

#98 mikec

mikec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I just received my NetduinoGo with a Rgb Led & Button modules and I can't get them to work. When you first power up the Netduino the 8 Leds come on then go off and only the power led stays on even though the RgbLed & Button module are connected. This is the program I am using:

using System;
using System.Threading;
using Microsoft.SPOT;
using Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware;
using SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.NetduinoGo;
//using NetduinoGo;

namespace NetduinoGoFirstApp
{
    public class Program
    {
        public static void Main()
        {
            // write your code here
            var led = new RgbLed((GoBus.GoSocket)8);
            led.SetColor(255, 40, 0);

}

}
}
I get the error messag saying RgbLed namespace is not recognized. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike (motor900)

Edited by Chris Walker, 27 April 2012 - 02:08 AM.
added [code][/code] tags

#99 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I just received my NetduinoGo with a Rgb Led & Button modules and I can't get them to work. When you first power up the Netduino the 8 Leds come on then go off and only the power led stays on even though the RgbLed & Button module are connected. This is the program I am using:

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Netduino Community. It looks like you have not added the reference to NetduinoGo.RgbLed. To do this right click on the "Reference" in the Solutions Explorer. Then "Add Reference" and you should see the NetduinoGo.RgbLed listed in the .Net tab if you have installed the Netduino Go firmware found on the downloads page.

In your code you have this statement commented out :
//using NetduinoGo;

If you uncomment, your code should work fine. Alternatively, and without uncommenting the use statement, you can use:
var led = new NetduinoGo.RgbLed((GoBus.GoSocket)8);

Hopefully this should do the trick.

Cheers,
Steve

#100 Arbiter

Arbiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

In another thread I asked Chris about tools for the transition from prototype to production, but it occurs to me that cheap virtualisation relieves the need to a great extent; single board manufacture is cheap but modules make for fine grained testing and replacement. For small run vertical market production, I think it may be economic to design a go!bus device with such custom hardware as is necessary for a given project.

All that said, if you build a Gadgeteer module which is an "S" module and then only use the first GPIO and the SPI_CS IO on the Gadgeteer socket, you can maximize compatibility. There are some limitations...it's a long discussion...but we've taken this into account.

Is it a long discussion that is documented anywhere?

If you want to use the go!bus compatibility logo, you'll need to use go!bus IO virtualization firmware on your chip (STM8S and STM32 supported soon, AVR and others hopefully supported in the future). It does fun things like let us know how much power you need and lets you build a super-low-cost-module with both tons of intelligence and plug and play ease.

The on-module processor is there to speak the go!bus protocol and virtualize your IOs. So that your driver on the Netduino Go mainboard sees its IOs, SPI bus, I2C bus, UARTs, PWMs, ADCs, etc. as its own. We can take a small number of developers into our module builder's group for the next few months...once we feel that everything is ready for widespread module building we'll open it up to everyone. 100% cross-board compatibility is our utmost concern.

This sounds to me like you have some kind of addressing scheme and a corresponding discovery mechanism as well as I/O queuing to prevent collisions on shared channels - essentially a small network. Is that right?

The STM32F2 and 4 both have an onboard RTC. I hope you're surfacing this.In fact the datasheet I'm looking at says it supports ethernet. But I understand why you'd want to offload this to other hardware.
One day, all this too shall parse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.