Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

RFID reading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

There's a series of model kits that are coming out with RFID chips (circuits) imbedded in parts that connect it to a game. As the Japanese hardware is not available in the UK (and probubly never will) how do I go about getting a pc based solution to this problems.

"Maybe it's because you're a crap programmer"

#2 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

There's a series of model kits that are coming out with RFID chips (circuits) imbedded in parts that connect it to a game.
As the Japanese hardware is not available in the UK (and probubly never will) how do I go about getting a pc based solution to this problems.

The first thing you have to identify is what freq does the RFID chip work at? A lot of your proximity cards are either 125 kHz or 13.56 MHz. If the tags your trying to read work at either of those frequencies, then you are probably in luck. The next thing you need to figure out is what is stored on the RFID chips? Is it a simple 16 byte chunk of data? Or is it a 1k block? How does the particular RFID chip encode the data?

Once you figure those things out, you can more than likely find an off-the-shelf chip to read the RFID chip. Then its a simple matter of buying the chip and either wiring it up to a Netduino/Arduino to do any processing that maybe needed, or outputing it to serial and reading it on your PC via a serial->usb converter. All the RFID chips I've dealt with output straight serial.

-dan

#3 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, the problem is that little to no information is known about it and mine is some ware in transit.
this is the only image I can find on it
http://farm8.staticf...7932cdb58_m.jpg
I'm assuming that its just going to contain a number!
would there be some way to scan it to see what frequency it's running at

Sorry I'm yet to find out how RFID works so sorry I'm acting dumb!

"Maybe it's because you're a crap programmer"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.