Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Status of Firmware confusing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OZ8ET

OZ8ET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationHundested, Denmark

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

I am messing around with firmware versions but nothing really seems to fit together (NetduinoPlus).

I am building a house-controller with web-server, LCD-display (Aduino1620LCD-modified to 3.3v analog circuit) and OneWire
connection to temperature readers. I also implemented a “Real time clock” with NTP-setting. WebPages on SD.

First attempt:

Using firmware 4.1.1.0:
Without Onewire. Everything works!

Second attempt:

Downgrading to firmware 4.0.6. Using CW.NETMF.OneWire from OneWireTestApp (here)

Program deployed and OneWire works., but now problems with reading SD. WebServer cannot get pages from SD!

Third attempt:

Upgrading to firmware 4.2.0.0.
Installing 4.2 NETMF and Netduino SDK 4.2.

Not able to compile! Error:
‘AnalogInput' is an ambiguous reference between 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.AnalogInput' and 'SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.AnalogInput' E:\E\MainStorage\Source\Netduino Plus\C#\EasyWeb4 - Fw4.2\Aduino1602LCD\KeyPad.cs’

I am running into a dead end now.

Is there a stable firmware version supporting any kind of OneWirie?

Why the ambiguous error (Onewire might work with 4.2 but I can't compile!)?
Why the problem reading SD (1GB) with fw 4.0.6 (So far Onewire only works with 4.0.6 but SD don't)?

Any help is highly appreciated.

#2 OZ8ET

OZ8ET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

Here comes the version 4.1.1 of my project
OneWire code has been remarked as it does not work with 4.1.1. - only with 4.0.6!

Get it (here)

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:13 AM

Hi OZ8ET, The v4.1.0.6 firmware is the official, stable release. The v4.1.1 beta is also a fairly stable release, although it is just the core firmware...without CW2's enhancements. Once 4.2.0 goes gold, we'll be happy to build a version with CW2's OneWire support built in as well. Chris

#4 OZ8ET

OZ8ET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Chris Any comment on the 4.2.0 error on "ambiguous reference "? Looking forward to the OneWire support. Erik

#5 mikepo

mikepo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hi OZ8ET,

I haven't tried this, but can you just write:

static SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.AnalogInput AnKey;

In all places in the KeyPad.cs file where "AnalogInput" is used?
That should remove the ambiguity for the compiler.
I am assuming the SecretLabs implementation is the one you want to use since that seems to have worked for you in 4.1.0.6 and 4.1.1.

You'd have to do the same thing if additional similar errors pop up for other datatypes/methods.
Let us know how it goes!

Now on a related note, I am too are very eager to get a Netduino firmware with working SDCard access and OneWire support in my hands, I find the current versioning and spin-offs floating around here as confusing as you :)

Maybe SecretLabs could create some kind of "feature matrix" file which states which version supports what feature. I think this might avoid frustration for quite a few people.

Mike

#6 Joe Griffith

Joe Griffith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Plus one for the feature matrix file.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

Great feedback, thank you. BTW, we'll be deprecating the existing PWM and AnalogInput objects with the official 4.2 release--but we will still provide them for backwards compatibility to make sure that old projects work with the new .NET MF release. For now, use the fully-qualified class name if needed: SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.AnalogInput Chris

#8 Robert L.

Robert L.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Great feedback, thank you.

BTW, we'll be deprecating the existing PWM and AnalogInput objects with the official 4.2 release--but we will still provide them for backwards compatibility to make sure that old projects work with the new .NET MF release.

For now, use the fully-qualified class name if needed:
SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.AnalogInput

Chris

Does that mean there will be new objects to provide access to those hardware features? Or does it mean that eventually using ports in that way will no longer be available?

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:45 AM

Does that mean there will be new objects to provide access to those hardware features? Or does it mean that eventually using ports in that way will no longer be available?

The new classes in .NET MF 4.2 will be the "standard" way to access those features, and we will be rewriting the current classes to call the new "standard" classes behind the scenes...to give you a seamless transition and backwards compatibility.

Chris

#10 Miha

Miha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hi guys! Is there an ETA on a firmware with OneWire support? I'll be probably installing my ND+ on site with 4.1 fw and with regular RTC senzor, but would really like to use DS1820 senzor I purchased a year ago. Thanks, Miha.

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

Hi Miha,

Is there an ETA on a firmware with OneWire support? I'll be probably installing my ND+ on site with 4.1 fw and with regular RTC senzor, but would really like to use DS1820 senzor I purchased a year ago.

We have a version of the 4.1.x firmware with CW2's OneWire implementation available in the forums. Have you tried that?

We plan to build a special version of the 4.2 firmware with these enhancements as well...once the last few bugs in .NET MF 4.2 get fixed up.

Chris

#12 Miha

Miha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Tnx for letting me know. I must have messed up something as I thought that it will only be available in the 4.2.x. I'll try.

#13 OZ8ET

OZ8ET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

Hi When will 4.2 be released as the 'downnload' version (on the download page). Will it be with OneWire? Regards

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hi OZ8ET,

When will 4.2 be released as the 'downnload' version (on the download page). Will it be with OneWire?

The official firmware won't have OneWire built in (since it takes extra room), but we'll make a special version available with OneWire support.

Once the community tells us that the .NET MF 4.2 firmware is stable, we'll make it an official release and post it on the Downloads page... Right now, there are some core bugs to work out still. [We're checking in some new bug fixes today to see how they affect stability.]

Chris

#15 bobk

bobk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Once the community tells us that the .NET MF 4.2 firmware is stable, we'll make it an official release and post it on the Downloads page... Right now, there are some core bugs to work out still. [We're checking in some new bug fixes today to see how they affect stability.]

Chris

I downloaded the 4.2 beta 3 again. I had the problem of the "no response". Since then, I have a new pc running windows 7 64. I do not know if anything changed from the Oct time frame as far as download version. I started with Sam-ba and reinstalled everything. I was able to go into Visual Studios 2010 and with a copy of the program that I found here in the forums, I was able to write to a 2gb sd card. Yeh. Now for some almost good news. I was not able to write to a 8gb sd card. I installed 4.1.1 B1 and everything worked including reading and writing to the 8 gb sd card. The same card will not work in 4.2 b3. I went back and forth between the different beta releases and the results were consistent.

Not sure if windows xp was the difference or the speed of the machine that would not allow 4.2 b3 to work properly, unless there was a newer version that I downloaded from the first post from this thread.

I did have one problem with 4.1.1 b1 with the reading of the 8 gd card initially. Netduino+ was plugged into a usb hub that was plugged into a powered usb hub. That caused my machine to crash. I could not get Netduino to be recognized until I re powered the usb hub. I will try this setup with 4.2 once I can get 4.2 version to read a 8 gb sd card.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Bob

#16 OZ8ET

OZ8ET

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

What is the status of OneWire with 4.2? Regards Erik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.