Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Any success stories with Cellular, SM5100B or other?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

Hello! I am gearing up to build this, but don't see a lot of success stories here on the forums. Anyone care to chime in? Thanks!

#2 thenecroscope

thenecroscope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hi Sam, I'm trying the same thing. If I manage to get to the bottom of it I will let you know,but so far I've not been able to talk to the SM5100B yet :(

#3 thenecroscope

thenecroscope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

This is really helpful. http://forums.netdui...975-pinout-card

#4 thenecroscope

thenecroscope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hello!

I am gearing up to build this, but don't see a lot of success stories here on the forums.

Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks!

Looks like dcypher is on the case :D see:
http://forums.netdui...1811#entry21811

I've still not managed to get mine to work, but hopefully now I will be able to get this working with the libraries he/she has built. :D

#5 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

thenecrope: Thanks for the tip! I am watching those threads!

#6 thenecroscope

thenecroscope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

thenecrope: Thanks for the tip!

I am watching those threads!

I've still had no joy. I've tried an external power supply and tried to power the SMB5100B directly but still no joy :(

#7 Daniel Amesberger

Daniel Amesberger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hi, I also had not much luck with the SM5100B so I've built my own cellular shield. It is not final yet but it works well. It uses the TC63i module which is much better than the SM5100B, and it can be updated to more powerful modules without changing the PCB. And it has the exact same footprint as the netduino plus, the SM5100B is slightly bigger. Currently I wired the TX0 and RX0 lines, and two I/O lines for emergency shutdown and ignition lines. These two lines are very helpful if you want to hard-reset the module. Didn't need it yet but its nice to know that I can hard reset the module if it should stop responding. I'm planning on wiring the second UART too, that would enable to sent AT commands on one line and keep a data connection on the other. It's always hard to decide i/o lines to block. Currently it's compatible with another shield I made with 8 24V opto-decoupled input lines with onboard 24v generation. But I think shields should use CPLDs to reprogram I/Os on the shield...but thats another story. maybe I'll do that with my next shield generation :)

#8 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:26 AM

Sounds cool! Thx for update!

#9 Daniel Amesberger

Daniel Amesberger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

I just have completed the final version of the GSM Shield. Works fine. I wired both serial ports (so you can open a data connection and still send AT commands through the other line), A2 and A3 are used for ignition and hard reset of the gsm module and D12 and D13 are used for the ring indicator (signals events) and power indicator. these two lines are optional so I added an smd jumper pad which is connected and can be cut easily. the same is for the second serial interface. I also added a battery holder for backing up the RTC in the module, so you do not lose the time stored in the module. also very handy :) The sim card holder is a push-lock and is on the bottom of the PCB facing to the side with the usb and power connector, so when a housing is used you can cut a slot into the housing and change the sim-card without opening it. I added an image of the module, if anyone is interested in the schematics leave a note :) But I have to warn you, manual soldering is a pain...

Attached Files

#10 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:34 AM

Daniel, Is this your own shield ? (sounds like it) I am looking for an off the shelf shield...

#11 Daxl-B

Daxl-B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:22 AM

I agree with samjones, this looks like a pretty cool shield and exactly what I am looking for, rightnow I have the SM5100B and a separate RTC, my intention is to make my prototype a production system and this shield will fit great.

#12 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

Currently, I plan to try the SeeedStudio GPRS Shield 1.2.... But it would be great to hear if anyone has it really working...

#13 Daniel Amesberger

Daniel Amesberger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Daniel,
Is this your own shield ? (sounds like it)
I am looking for an off the shelf shield...

Yes, it's my own shield. Don't know yet if I will make a production board out of it, I use it in a commercial project, but to sell it with a competitive price I have to order 1000pcs...

#14 Daniel Amesberger

Daniel Amesberger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

I agree with samjones, this looks like a pretty cool shield and exactly what I am looking for, rightnow I have the SM5100B and a separate RTC, my intention is to make my prototype a production system and this shield will fit great.

I designed this board for a prototype which should go into production in 1-2 months. But selling the shield alone probably isn't worth the effort...also the TC63i I use on this board is quite expensive. I'm also working on an Arduino clone with 200MHz and up to 16MB RAM, so probably when this design is final too I'll consider to make off-the-shelf products out of them.

#15 Arbiter

Arbiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

You could reduce inventory cost by building with an unpopulated socket.

The value here is twofold: your know-how, and a prêt-a-porter board. I and many others will happily put hand in pocket if it means I can buy your board and a chip, stick one in the other, read a three page idiot's guide and get coding. You said the TC63i is expensive. How much? If board and chip total $150 or less consider it sold provided you write up how to
  • Initialise the hardware.
  • Resolve a friendlyname.
  • Establish a TCP socket.
  • Send an SMS

If you can and will do these things then get onto Kickstarter and we your intending customers will bankroll you.
One day, all this too shall parse.

#16 samjones

samjones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

I second the motion by Arbiter, and would also participate in a kickstarter initiative, but I would add to the list for the documentation:

5. Demonstration http server (serve a single "hello world" html that can be in code)
6. Demonstration http client that does a GET from a weather or other simple url that returns a dynamic value and outputs this to debug.print

#17 Daniel Amesberger

Daniel Amesberger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I am currently really busy with another project, but if you are interested in this board you can follow me on twitter (@DAmesberger), I will post updates in 1-2 weeks from now...

#18 AndrewC

AndrewC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

If you don't need a shield solution, I've been very successfuly with the Motorola c168i phone connected through the serial TTL port. The phone takes a 2.5mm plug to the UART. In my project (a bilge alarm for a sailboat), I wanted the cellular phone be be located up high in the cabin. I have bildge switch, door switch and voltage sensor conneted to the netduino. I prototyped on a NetduinoPlus, but deploying on a NetduinoMini + ARD TERM - a couple of pin changes and am done. What a nice family of products....

#19 Pete

Pete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

Currently, I plan to try the SeeedStudio GPRS Shield 1.2....

But it would be great to hear if anyone has it really working...

I successfully interfaced with a SeeedStudio v1.0 GPRS Shield a couple of months back and was able to send and receive SMSs via the AT interface. I did have a problem where the remote setup would stop responding to text messages after a few days, but I haven't had the time to assess whether that was the module or my code. I also didn't perform any level shifting of the serial interface, so there may have been issues there...

I didn't attempt making/receiving calls or the GPRS interface itself.

I've just got hold of a v1.2 shield which provides control of the module power button via an I/O line - this would allow resetting of the module if necessary so hopefully will assist with the stability problems. It also has a CR1220 battery, which I guess is for RTC backup.

Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.