Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino and ADH8066 GSM module

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boyse

boyse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

Hi all,

I've got the ADH8066 GSM module and the breakout board to go with it.

I'm trying to get it connected to my netduino so I can have a play - I'm new to electronics so any advice will be appreciated.

I'm powering the netduino using the USB, and I have 12v coming into the breadboard.

I'm using a LM350 voltage regulator circuit with R1 as 270ohms and R2 as 510ohms (as these are the closest resistors I have) to give an output of about 3.6v. This is used to power the ADH8066 module, which according to the datasheet needs between 3.4v and 4.5v.

Heres the bit I'm a bit stuck with - the datasheet says the recommended digital high voltage is between 2v and 3.14v, but further up in the extreme condition specification is says the max input/output voltage on any pin is 3.5v. I believe the netduino digital high voltage is 3.3v, so if I just connect the netduino digital out directly to the GSM module, will it harm it?
Should I use a resistor?
How do I calculate that resistor value as I don't think the datasheet gives enough information for that?
Could I build another voltage regulator circuit to output about 2.5v, and use a transistor connected to the digital out and the 2.5v rail to send the data? If so whats the best way to do this (which transistor?)?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm just trying to get as much info as I can so as not to blow up the GSM module or my netduino.

Thanks

Tom

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hello Tom.
The modem seems having a double voltage of operation, although only one must provided externally.
Your LM350 circuit is a good choice, since the best supply required by the modem should be 4V (strange value indeed).
BTW, the logic of the modem operates at different level: 3V (strange again).

In both the docs available in the Sparkfun site, there's a clear reference to +3V as the nominal high-level for the logic interface. Thus, yes...maybe the 3.3V given by the Netduino could be a little higher than the modem expect.

Well, *probably* you won't damage your modem nor the Netduino by connecting them directly. However, if you want to "sleep relaxed", you may provide a voltage divider as follows:
  • from the Netduino out add a 10K resistor to the modem input;
  • from the same modem input add a 100K resistor to the ground.
NOTE: that applies *only* form the Netduino output going toward the modem. For a modem output going toward a Netduino input, there's no problem connecting them directly.

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 boyse

boyse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Thankyou! This helps a lot! Today I learnt about voltage dividers :)

#4 mwesigebrian

mwesigebrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hello, 

I need help with a project that involves the use of a netduino 2, an SM5100B gsm/gprs module, a keypad and a solenoid valve that is normally closed. I am very new to this....the idea is for the netduino to be able to read a particular unique code phone number and amount of money sent via mobile money from the simcard on the gsm module and open the valve for a specified amount of time and then close....I am told i need to incorporate AT commands in the C# source code to get this working. I need help with the code

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.