Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Plan for training and education

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MarkWill

MarkWill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Is there a short/medium term plan for training content for Netduino? Theer are some nice little video's on the site but they are obviously just a start and pretty sparse. As someone who is just getting into this whole thing at a basic level (just ordered my Netduino last night!), I am a sponge for any and all such content. I understand that this is all relatively new but I also know (or at least suspect) that a lack of educational content is a blocker for anyone looking into this. By the way, my interest is beyond basic "light an LED" or getting it to respond to a button (although those video's are still useful, especially the event handler one which sparked my thinking about how this could be used). However, I have a need for "fundamentals" of physical computing with a platform like Netduino. I'd like to read about the various types of ports on the Netduino, when they might be appropriate to use for various scenarios, what sort of interfaces are required/suggested, how I'd program/use these ports and so on. I've decided to take the risk and see where it leads but it would be great to know what the plans are in this area. Thanks. Mark

#2 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

Is there a short/medium term plan for training content for Netduino?

Thanks.

Mark

I do some videos on youtube. Nothing to great since I also started a little while ago, but if you are looking to get started quickly then those should help.

I can always take a request and try my best to make a video tutorial. Also if you stay tunned later today I will have a video tutorial about motors.

My Youtube Channel: VCSandARM
My website, it has all the code from the videos: OZ-Solutions

Hope that helps!

#3 MarkWill

MarkWill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

I do some videos on youtube. Nothing to great since I also started a little while ago, but if you are looking to get started quickly then those should help.

I can always take a request and try my best to make a video tutorial. Also if you stay tunned later today I will have a video tutorial about motors.

My Youtube Channel: VCSandARM
My website, it has all the code from the videos: OZ-Solutions

Hope that helps!

Thank you, both for the response and for taking the time to produce these videos. I will take a look and let you know if anything springs to mind. My most pressing request is probably something that isn't best addressed with a video. I would really like a "Netduino Newbie Guide to Ports" - what I get, which sort of applications they best address, how to use them, etc, etc. I guess that, in a way, this is platform independant - why I'd use a GPIO or a UART and PWM or ADC, etc, etc is something that probably applies just as much to Arduino, I'd guess. But getting these basics under my belt would be very helpful in understanding what I will (soon) have at my fingertips. I haven't found any specific content about this yet - just lots of people talking about them from a position of awareness of what these things are :-)

Thanks again.

Mark

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

That's a great idea (on the introductory guide), Mark. We'll post more tutorial videos soon as well (on Analog Inputs and on some debug features next). Chris

#5 MarkWill

MarkWill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

That's a great idea (on the introductory guide), Mark.

We'll post more tutorial videos soon as well (on Analog Inputs and on some debug features next).

Chris

Chris,

I understand that the video's take a while to design/record/post but in the meanwhile is there any thoughts about an intial page/document/FAQ that gets newbies to the point where they can do something useful, without falling over at an initial hurdle? I am not talking anything fancy - just a place to document "stuff" that might catch folks out. By way of example, this thread has some interesting comments about pin numbers that - I suspect - would have taken me a while to work out (yet, presumably, are important to anyone looking to read digital inputs): http://forums.netdui...blinking-leds/.

Obviously these forums are great. But a lot of the aggregated knowledge is spread across all sorts of threads (I just stumbled across the one above).

Anyway, interested to know if something might be in the works (a FAQ, split into sections, seems like the best approach).

Thanks.

Mark

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi Mark, Great idea. Let me see if I can rush the Sandbox (http://sandbox.netduino.com). I know that we've scheduled to launch it a little later this fall but maybe we can get it up earlier and get this posted there... Chris

#7 Michel Trahan

Michel Trahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hi Everybody,

I am thinking of buying a .com domain for netduino tutorials and call it ... netduinotutorials.com ? (should it be .org ?)

I want to document every project/tutorial with Fritzing diagrams (Fritzing.org) (Thanks to Stefan for this link), Visual Studio C# solutions, and a lot of explanation ... about many things.

I would also like to include a coding style (make many things static since we are in a very small footprint (does that make sense for an explanation ?)

I would like to invite many (like omar) to donate their project to this tutorial effort. I would like it to be open source with editing to enforce coding style (would that be too much to ask ?)

This project will take time since I want every project to be defined into Fritzing (read defining the parts graphics and specs).

Anyone interesting about that ?

Mike
Started with C in 1985, moved to Vb3 ... to vb6 and stopped. Now started with .Net and learning C# and VB.net and wishing VB.net was on MF !

#8 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

It sounds nice! Anyway, I'd like to hear from more people...
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#9 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

Great idea. Let me see if I can rush the Sandbox (http://sandbox.netduino.com). I know that we've scheduled to launch it a little later this fall but maybe we can get it up earlier and get this posted there...

Thought that project was still a little secret? :D

I am thinking of buying a .com domain for netduino tutorials and call it ... netduinotutorials.com ? (should it be .org ?)

You've got a PM about the website, but this is also something that could happen on the sandbox when it's done. Small tutorials could fit in a wiki environment I suppose.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.