Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Getting Started with VB

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 seascan

seascan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hi. I saw the advertisement for the NetDuino in Make magazine and started to look into it. I was hooked when I saw that VB.NET is supported! I have VB Express 2010 installed. I downloaded and installed the 4.2 .NetMicroFramework RTM and the NetDuino SDK. Unlike C#, when I load VB I do not see a option for a .NetMicro Application. I can reference Microsoft.SPOT but not Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware (as I have seen in some online examples). I tried doing a console app and referencing Microsoft.SPOT but, I do not see the option to set the complitation to target an emulator or hardware. Am I missing something fundamental? I am going to order a netduino board later today... is it a problem to not have the board connected when developing? Thanks! terry

#2 Thonord

Thonord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi. I saw the advertisement for the NetDuino in Make magazine and started to look into it. I was hooked when I saw that VB.NET is supported!

Me too:) Sorry, unfortunately I have no answers - just questions. I have not yet received my Netduino board, so I thought i'd give the samples a try and use the emulator.
Everthing works according to the book until "F5" and then the exceptions "roll" inn. I'm using VB2010 Express.

I am not trying to hijack this thread. I just didn't see any reason to open a new one.

Tom

#3 seascan

seascan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

Hi. I saw the advertisement for the NetDuino in Make magazine and started to look into it. I was hooked when I saw that VB.NET is supported!

I have VB Express 2010 installed. I downloaded and installed the 4.2 .NetMicroFramework RTM and the NetDuino SDK.

Unlike C#, when I load VB I do not see a option for a .NetMicro Application. I can reference Microsoft.SPOT but not Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware (as I have seen in some online examples).

I tried doing a console app and referencing Microsoft.SPOT but, I do not see the option to set the complitation to target an emulator or hardware.

Am I missing something fundamental?

I am going to order a netduino board later today... is it a problem to not have the board connected when developing?

Thanks!
terry

Has anyone else seen this problem?

#4 MDalton

MDalton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:38 AM

Did you install the netduino SDK and the MicroFramework? http://www.netduino.com/downloads/ If you're using VB make sure to use the 4.2v MicroFramework http://forums.netdui...?showtopic=2769 And update the firmware http://wiki.netduino...ep-by-step.ashx I think that is all.

#5 MDalton

MDalton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

Actually, I can't find VB template either. C# ones worked though..

#6 MDalton

MDalton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:08 AM

Sorry I can't edit my posts because I don't have enough posts. If you install the beta netduino SDK you should get the VB templates http://forums.netdui...mework-v42-sdk/ 1st heading link 2.

#7 seascan

seascan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

Great Call! Now (using NetDuino 4.2) I have the templates. I just received my first NetDuino Plus... Early Christmas present to myself. I am trying the Blinky program but am getting the following: Error 1 Cannot deploy the base assembly 'mscorlib', or any of his satellite assemblies, to device - USB:NetduinoPlus twice. Assembly 'mscorlib' on the device has version 4.1.2821.0, while the program is trying to deploy version 4.2.0.0 Any ideas how I can install the newer mscorlib?

#8 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

Any ideas how I can install the newer mscorlib?

Hi Seascan!

You need to upgrade to 4.2. This requires two parts:
- Update the TinyBooterDecompressor
- Update the firmware
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#9 seascan

seascan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Stefan: Blinky Works!! I did upgrade to Visual Studio Professional last week so I am unsure if my original issues with VB express are fixed... But, I am very happy that I am able to get my "Hello World" program working. IT IS ALIVE.

#10 seascan

seascan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

Stefan, I should have mentioned: I started to upgrade the firmware before I saw your post. I did NOT do the TinyBootDecompressor... everything seems to be working fine. Is this okay?

#11 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Stefan,

I should have mentioned: I started to upgrade the firmware before I saw your post. I did NOT do the TinyBootDecompressor... everything seems to be working fine. Is this okay?

Hmm it could work, but I believe there were some changes in the TinyBootDecompressor as well. So if you encounter any problem, try upgrading it as well ;)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#12 seascan

seascan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hmm it could work, but I believe there were some changes in the TinyBootDecompressor as well. So if you encounter any problem, try upgrading it as well ;)

What exactly is the TinyBootDecompressor? What does it do?

Thanks,
Terry

#13 seascan

seascan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

Stefan, I noticed in the tutorial for the TinyBootDecompressor calls for a hardware reset using 3.3V but the picture shows using the /Reset pin... Does it matter which pin? Also, do I need as external power supply when doing a deep reset or can I use the USB? The reason I ask is that the tutorial mentions connecting to the PC AFTER the reset. Thanks Again, Terry

#14 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

What exactly is the TinyBootDecompressor? What does it do?

If I'm correct it's a boot loader, not much different from the MBR on a PC. I'm no expert on that though, so I could be wrong.

#15 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

I noticed in the tutorial for the TinyBootDecompressor calls for a hardware reset using 3.3V but the picture shows using the /Reset pin... Does it matter which pin?

It must be the 3V3 pin. I looked at the pictures again and I've put it in 3V3.

Also, do I need as external power supply when doing a deep reset or can I use the USB? The reason I ask is that the tutorial mentions connecting to the PC AFTER the reset.

You can do it on USB power, just make sure you unplug/plug it back in after reset, so the PC detects the right device driver.

#16 seascan

seascan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

It must be the 3V3 pin. I looked at the pictures again and I've put it in 3V3.

It was the angle that threw me... I counted the ports and it was on the 3.3!

:lol:

#17 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

If I'm correct it's a boot loader

Yes. On devices with small memory, such as Netduino, the actual bootloader TinyBooter is compressed and included in TinyBooterDecompressor, to save space. TinyBooterDecompressor is executed after power up or reset, decompresses TinyBooter into RAM (hence the name) and executes it. TinyBooter checks the state of the on-board switch to determine whether to stay in 'boot mode' used to flash the firmware, or to execute TinyCLR (the .NET runtime), which in turn searches for an application and executes it, if found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.