Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

MFDeploy v4.1 for Mac OS X and Linux (Alpha 1)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:41 AM

Version: 4.1 ALPHA 1 (version 4.1.0.0 a1) WARNING: This software is pre-release software. It may temporarily cause your Netduino to cease functioning properly. It requires communication with your Netduino via a serial port. You will need to erase your Netduino completely and flash it with "serial" firmware. This will require special tools and possibly access to a 32-bit Windows machine. If you're an early adopter and would like to help us test early MFDeploy support on Mac or Linux, this alpha release may be for you. This software is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license (open source) and includes code from the Microsoft .NET Micro Framework v4.1 Porting Kit. MFDeploy is a tool which ships with the .NET Micro Framework v4.1 SDK. It allows the user to do certain diagnostics, configuration, and reflashing with their Netduino. It also allows you to manually switch/update .NET MF firmware. Limitations in this release: * Supports only serial communication with Netduino or other .NET Micro Framework device. No USB support at this time (although USB to UART cables and USB to RS232 adapters are supported). NOTES FOR MAC OS X USERS: * Mono on Mac OS X does not support auto-enumeration of serial ports at this time. You will need to manually add your serial port's path to the software before compiling/running it. To do this, in the Debugger project modify the Streams.cs file: uncomment line 640, and copy and paste the path to your serial port in all three respective parameters. * You must unzip and copy the attached .dylib patch file over your existing Mono 2.6.7 installation to enable serial port communication. It should be written over the existing file in '/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/lib'. HOW TO USE THIS PROGRAM: * Unzip the attached MFDeployMono_v4.1_Alpha1.zip file into a folder on your computer. If you've installed the .NET Micro Framework v4.1 QFE1 PK, you can copy these files into the "\MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1\Framework" folder if desired (although this will replace the PK's standard MFDeploy code and may require tweaks to the PK's build process). * Open up the Tools\MFDeploy folder, and open up the MFDeploy.sln solution. * Compile and run. That's it! [NOTE: Mac users will need to edit line 640 in the Streams.cs file as noted above] SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: * Tested on Mac OS X 10.6.4 and Ubuntu Linux 10.10 Beta * Requires Mono 2.6.7 and MonoDevelop 2.4 * Mac OS X installation requires .dylib patch file (see above) * USB to UART cable (or USB/RS232 adapter + RS232 shield for Netduino) Enjoy, and please let us know how this works for you. Chris Secret Labs LLC

Attached Files

#2 Brian Jepson

Brian Jepson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKingston, RI

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:32 AM

NOTES FOR MAC OS X USERS:
* Mono on Mac OS X does not support auto-enumeration of serial ports at this time. You will need to manually add your serial port's path to the software before compiling/running it. To do this, in the Debugger project modify the Streams.cs file: uncomment line 640, and copy and paste the path to your serial port in all three respective parameters.

Streams.cs is kind of tricky to find. In MonoDevelop, open Debugger, then Microsoft, then SPOT, then Debugger. You'll see a bunch of classes. To open the Streams.cs file, double-click the class named AsyncSerialStream.

Update: something's broken in my version of MonoDevelop on Mac because all the solution configuration and run options are grayed out. I'm going to try installing the trunk build.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:37 AM

Streams.cs is kind of tricky to find. In MonoDevelop, open Debugger, then Microsoft, then SPOT, then Debugger. You'll see a bunch of classes. To open the Streams.cs file, double-click the class named AsyncSerialStream.

Thanks, Brian!

Also, the libMonoPosixHelper.dylib.zip patch shouldn't be needed with the newest Mono builds for Mac OS X.

Chris

#4 Brian Jepson

Brian Jepson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKingston, RI

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:51 AM

Update: something's broken in my version of MonoDevelop on Mac because all the solution configuration and run options are grayed out. I'm going to try installing the trunk build.

It looks like I had some corrupt preferences, possibly left over from an older install of MonoDevelop. I deleted ~/.config/MonoDevelop, restarted MonoDevelop, and I saw Streams.cs listed under the Debugger project like I should have seen. Also, all the missing options came back as well (under both the release version of MonoDevelop and trunk version).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.