Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Inexpensive WIFI device

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattnet

mattnet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hello, can anyone recommend an inexpensive wifi component that can be use by the NetDuino. I did see a link for a wifly device, but that appeared to be in the $80 range. Thanks in advance

#2 monewwq1

monewwq1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

The Gainspan GS1011MIP is $69.99, for the breakout board. I use this module with the Netduino.

If you're good at soldering and figuring out schematics, you can get the GS1011MIP module itself for $33.95.

#3 mattnet

mattnet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:56 PM

The Gainspan GS1011MIP is $69.99, for the breakout board. I use this module with the Netduino.

If you're good at soldering and figuring out schematics, you can get the GS1011MIP module itself for $33.95.

Thanks Nick F. for the quick response. I will take a look at the breakout board version as soldering is not my specialty.

In general how was your experience working with this device? Are there any other components that you used for your implementation? thanks again.

#4 monewwq1

monewwq1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

Thanks Nick F. for the quick response. I will take a look at the breakout board version as soldering is not my specialty.

In general how was your experience working with this device? Are there any other components that you used for your implementation? thanks again.

mattnet,

I've had great success with it. My Gainspan post should help. There is example C# code which has helped others get up and running quickly and I also put up a video example of ad-hoc Wi-Fi communications between two Netduino's with Gainspan modules.

Just a word of caution: if you want to update the firmware to the current version, you will need to sign a non-disclosure agreement with Gainspan in order to get the current firmware files. However, the device works fine out of the box without a firmware update. I updated my firmware to take advantage of the ad-hoc DHCP server functionality.

Besides wires, there are no other components required, unless you want to update the firmware, which requires a USB-to-UART 3.3V adapter. Check out my post for all the details.

You'll still need to do some soldering to get wires connected to the breakout board holes, but it is not difficult.

Nick

#5 mattnet

mattnet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:45 AM

mattnet,

I've had great success with it. My Gainspan post should help. There is example C# code which has helped others get up and running quickly and I also put up a video example of ad-hoc Wi-Fi communications between two Netduino's with Gainspan modules.

Just a word of caution: if you want to update the firmware to the current version, you will need to sign a non-disclosure agreement with Gainspan in order to get the current firmware files. However, the device works fine out of the box without a firmware update. I updated my firmware to take advantage of the ad-hoc DHCP server functionality.

Besides wires, there are no other components required, unless you want to update the firmware, which requires a USB-to-UART 3.3V adapter. Check out my post for all the details.

You'll still need to do some soldering to get wires connected to the breakout board holes, but it is not difficult.

Nick

Nick, thats great information. Thanks for sharing and contributing to this project!

-matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.