Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Directions to use Cellular Shield with SM5100B

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Moreira

Dan Moreira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi to all, i`m new on developing for micro controllers (although 10 years with c# on other type of projects) and would like some help (examples on software and hardware or where to start on both) on how to use Cellular Shield with SM5100B on Netduino Plus. I bought Netduino Plus and the SM5100B and i`m start to think that build a project (only for learn and fun) using this shield maibe was to much for my knowledgh right now. If anyone could help i will appreciate. Thanks Dan Brazil

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Hello Dan and welcome to the forum. The SM5100B (as long as most GSM/GPRS modules) are modems, fully Hayes compatible. So, you don't need anything else that connect the RXD/TXD lines from your Netduino to the shield, taking care that RXD-->TXD and vice-versa. Afterward, you may write a very basic C# program that opens the COM1, and sends an AT-command like this one: ATV1E0 terminated by CR (=carriage return). If you are not in a hurry, I may post a brief snipped showing ho to configure the UART. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 Dan Moreira

Dan Moreira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hello Dan and welcome to the forum.
The SM5100B (as long as most GSM/GPRS modules) are modems, fully Hayes compatible.
So, you don't need anything else that connect the RXD/TXD lines from your Netduino to the shield, taking care that RXD-->TXD and vice-versa.
Afterward, you may write a very basic C# program that opens the COM1, and sends an AT-command like this one:
ATV1E0
terminated by CR (=carriage return).

If you are not in a hurry, I may post a brief snipped showing ho to configure the UART.
Cheers

Thank you very much Mario for the help, after a while studying micro .Net i realize that I will need study a little (or lot) about electronics ... If you can give me some directions (websites, articles, anything) on how I can get started with the basics of eletronic, will be great. Thanks again.

#4 RobinM_ZA

RobinM_ZA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

Hi Dan, Check out http://www.electroni...NICS/cindex.htm

#5 Dan Moreira

Dan Moreira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

Hi Dan,

Check out http://www.electroni...NICS/cindex.htm

Thanks a lot for the link and sorry for the late thanks.

#6 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hello Dan, and my apologies again for being so in late.

I have used an old Siemens TC35 GSM module, which is targeted for industrial application. It is old, but still good.
My module has a RS232 connection, thus I must added a level converter, using a very common MAX232.
For the schematic, see Fig.5, Page 17.
To make a basic test, you may wire just the RXD and the TXD.

Attached, you'll find a small program that posts a basic AT command to the modem, then dumps the answer as hex string.
NOTE: at the moment I haven't still the circuit ready to test, thus the program *MAY* not fully work.

Hope it helps.
Cheers

Attached Files

Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#7 Dan Moreira

Dan Moreira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hello Dan, and my apologies again for being so in late.

I have used an old Siemens TC35 GSM module, which is targeted for industrial application. It is old, but still good.
My module has a RS232 connection, thus I must added a level converter, using a very common MAX232.
For the schematic, see Fig.5, Page 17.
To make a basic test, you may wire just the RXD and the TXD.

Attached, you'll find a small program that posts a basic AT command to the modem, then dumps the answer as hex string.
NOTE: at the moment I haven't still the circuit ready to test, thus the program *MAY* not fully work.

Hope it helps.
Cheers

Thanks a lot Mario, i will analyze your attachment and make a try. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.