Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Multiple Luxeon Dimmable Driver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hi, I am trying to make a circuit to drive 16 3 watt luxeons independantly with pwm dimming control, but to have it all on one board with a cable going out to my led housing which will be water tight to go in an aquarium hood. So far I have done nothing in the way of actually constructing anything, but I have nearly got all the parts just waiting on the last few to build a pwm control circuit to control the leds as per Nevyn's fantastic work here: http://forums.netdui...940-pwm-driver/ My aim is to have 1 driver board for all 16 leds and all can be controlled independantly. The driver must be efficient and perhaps have some heat protection in, must allow for pwm control from the tlc5940 and should be able to maintain continuous operation. Any help would be much appreciated, Andy

#2 Stefan W.

Stefan W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Just to make sure, your question is about a replacement IC for the tlc5940 that can drive your high-power LEDs?
I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.
-- H.L. Mencken, "What I Believe"

#3 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi Stefan, No my idea was a way to create a step up circuit to power the the luxeons, so an intermediary circuit that takes the output from the tlc and boosts it to run the high power leds. Sorry for not explaining very well. Thanks, Andy

#4 Stefan W.

Stefan W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Why do you want to use the tlc? IMO it does not make much sense to "step up" a constant current source ...
I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.
-- H.L. Mencken, "What I Believe"

#5 mcinnes01

mcinnes01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationManchester UK

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hi Stefan, I am new to electronis can you explain why stepping up a constant current isn't the best idea? My thoughts were for controlling all things that require different sep ups, e.g. 12v fans, 12v solenoids, different luxeons etc. This being said I kind of figured there wasn'tt going to be a one fit as far as power is concerned. Would I be right in saying that if I put some form of transistor or circuit contain a transistor and maybe a few other components for efficiency, I could use the pwm outputs to switch the fan, valve or led on and off quick enough to control speed, flow or brightness? Can you recommend any components/ circuits I could use to provide this functionality (the step up that is)? Out of interest what high power alternatives are there to the tlc? I do like its LOD and thermal protection features though and would really like to implement those. Thanks in advance, Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.