Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

New user, Netduino bricked out of the box?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Hatch

Mike Hatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:49 AM

Hi, I just received my Netduino from Sparkfun, jumped right into the Getting Started, but VS got stuck in deployment.

I followed all of the instructions in the forums to try and ping using MFDeploy, but I always get
'Error: Not response from the device".
The blue LED comes on when I plug it in, and goes out after a couple of seconds.

Things I've tried:
- press the button while plugging it
- tried clicking 'Ping' or 'Erase' in MFDeploy quickly (before and after blue light goes out)
- Unplugged all my other USB devices
- tried a different cable/port
- reboots

Is my new device bricked?

Bummed out from the get go... :(

-Mike

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

Hi Mike, Does your device show up in MFDeploy? What is its name? BTW...welcome to the Netduino community, Chris

#3 Mike Hatch

Mike Hatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hi Mike,

Does your device show up in MFDeploy? What is its name?

BTW...welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris

Yes, when I select USB in MFDeploy, the device shows up as "Netduino_Netduino". When I unplug it, this goes blank until I plug it back in.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:36 AM

After it shows up as "Netduino_Netduino" in MFDeploy, press PING. What does it do? If that doesn't work, try rebooting and then immediately PING the device. If Visual Studio is trying to deploy in the background simultaneously, for example, that could cause troubles... Chris

#5 Mike Hatch

Mike Hatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

After it shows up as "Netduino_Netduino" in MFDeploy, press PING. What does it do?

If that doesn't work, try rebooting and then immediately PING the device. If Visual Studio is trying to deploy in the background simultaneously, for example, that could cause troubles...

Chris

When I press PING, it says "Pinging... Error: No response from device." (With a slight delay between pinging... and 'error', naturally.) I tried pressing PING immediately after connecting (while the blue LED was still lit), same error.

I have rebooted my PC several times, and tried running MFDeploy before anything else (Visual Studio is not running), same error. I have pressed the button on the Netduino before, after, and during connection to the PC, same error. Disconnect Netduino, hold button, reconnect, same error. The only difference in behavior I get is if I hold down the Netduino button while plugging in the USB, and press PING while holding the button (and blue LED still lit), then MFDeploy gives me a constant wait cursor, and only recovers when I disconnnect the Netduino.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hi Mike, Very interesting, very strange. It appears like there might be a bug in the .NET MF driver. Are you running in a VM? Is there another PC you can test this on? What version of Windows are you running? Chris

#7 Mike Hatch

Mike Hatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi Mike,

Very interesting, very strange. It appears like there might be a bug in the .NET MF driver.

Are you running in a VM?

Is there another PC you can test this on?

What version of Windows are you running?

Chris

Running Windows 7, no VM. I can try another PC. I am also going to try reinstalling the Netduino drivers and Micro Framework SDK.
Note: I uninstalled the SDK and drivers, rebooted, reinstalled from this site the SDK and 64 bit driver, and after plugging in the Netduino I saw the 'Netduino driver installed successfully' bubble from Win7, and in MFDeploy I see 'Netduino_Netduino' as before. This time when I clicked PING, MFDeploy has a wait cursor, and no output/response from the board (status says 'Pinging...') - It has been that way in the time it took me to write this note (5 minutes). I pressed the reset button on the Netduino, and MFDeploy gave the no response error. Now error conditions as the same as previously described in the thread.

I see that there are instructions for reinstalling the Atmel TinyBooter stuff (can't find the link at the moment) by bridging the 3.3V to the little square by D0, etc. - is that an avenue to try?

-Mike

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Hi Mike, I'm guessing that it's a bug in the .NET MF driver or some other software on your computer interfering. Unfortunately we've never seen this before (on any of 10,000s of computers) so it's probably something Microsoft would have to help debug in the core driver... There are some "beta" drivers available (".NET MF 4.2 beta drivers") if you'd like to try them, a slight update... You'd need to allow unsigned drivers while they're in beta. Could you please try on another PC really quick to verify that the issue is related to just this PC? We test every Netduino before it leaves Secret Labs--and the device is showing up on the PC--but I'd like to eliminate damage-in-shipping (and defect-after-testing) as possible causes for sure. Chris

#9 Mike Hatch

Mike Hatch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

It worked on a different machine <sigh>. I really don't want to code on my wife's laptop :). Glad to help you try to figure out what is on my main PC that is causing this! -Mike

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

It worked on a different machine <sigh>. I really don't want to code on my wife's laptop :). Glad to help you try to figure out what is on my main PC that is causing this!

Hi Mike,

Phew :)

Can you do two things really quick?

1. Update your Netduino's drivers on your main PC. Use these beta drivers. Please note that you'll need to boot with F8 and "disable driver enforcement" if you're running 64-bit Windows.
2. If that doesn't fix things, add a work item at netmf.codeplex.com. The drivers in #1 are the core unmodified .NET MF drivers so if there's an issue we'll want to work with Microsoft to identify and fix it.

My guess is that some program or driver on your PC is interfering with the NETMF driver (perhaps a filter driver). Extremely uncommon, but possible.

Thank you,

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.