Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Where is TinyBooterDecompressor.bin?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RichardE

RichardE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Thought I would upgrade the .Net Micro Framework to V4.2. Big mistake. Got it all installed and Visual Studio recognised it. Code compiles but when it comes to deploying it it complains that it cannot have two copies of mscorlib with different versions on the Netduino and won't deploy. This is where I start getting confused. I followed the instructions on "Flashing new firmware step by step". I'm not even sure if I need to reflash the firmware, but using MFDeploy I was able to see all the assemblies on the Netduino, including the version of mscorlib and other .Net framework DLL files. I thought I might be able to just delete these DLL files from the Netduino but couldn't figure out how. I also have no idea where the ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH files are but I'm probably getting ahead of myself. In the end I thought I would just erase the Netduino in the hope that the DLL files would be deleted but the bootloader would survive. Stupid. Everything went. Ho hum. Have to install a bootloader I suppose. So now following the "Installing the TinyBooterDecompressor step by step" instructions. Got SAM-BA tool. Got it to talk to Netduino. Ran the scripts "Boot from Flash (GPNVN2)" and then "Enable Flash access". Now looking for TinyBooterDecompressor.bin but have no idea where to find it. I did find a version for the Netduino Plus, but I have a standard Netduino. So can anyone point me in the direction of this file? Also, the ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH files would be great. Thanks.

#2 RichardE

RichardE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

Got a bit further on, but still not there yet. Found TinyBooterDecompressor.bin eventually and also ER_CONFIG and ER_FLASH and eventually managed to ping the device using MFDeploy. Can also see all the DLL files on the Netduino and they are all V4.2 so should be compatible. Only problem now is that I cannot get it to run. Visual Studio always hangs either at the deploying assemblies stage or just after with a message saying the debugger is not in an initialised state. No amount of rebuilding or unplugging and re-plugging seems to cure it. It looks like deploying might actually be working (since DLL files are all there) but I cannot get the debugger to go. Any thoughts?

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

Hi RichardE, Are you sure that Visual Studio is targeting the device? Do you get the same experience if you unplug the Netduino completely? Also, can you both erase the app from MFDeploy and ping the device? Chris

#4 RichardE

RichardE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

Visual Studio behaves differently with the device unplugged. Instead of the not in an initialised state message it simply says "Deploy failed" and the build output window shows "Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:Netduino". When I ping the device using MFDeploy I get "Pinging... TinyCLR" and when I run the "Show device info" plug-in I get: DeviceInfo: HAL build info: 4.2.0.0, Netduino (v4.2.0.0 RC1) by Secret Labs LLC OEM Product codes (vendor, model, SKU): 34, 177, 4096 Serial Numbers (module, system): 00000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000 Solution Build Info: 4.2.0.0, Netduino (v4.2.0.0 RC1) by Secret Labs LLC AppDomains: Assemblies: mscorlib,4.2.0.0 Microsoft.SPOT.Native,4.2.0.0 Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware,4.2.0.0 Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort,4.2.0.0 Microsoft.SPOT.IO,4.2.0.0 System.IO,4.2.0.0 Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Usb,4.2.0.0 SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware,4.2.0.0 SecretLabs.NETMF.Diagnostics,4.2.0.0 SecretLabs.NETMF.IO,4.2.0.0 SecretLabs.NETMF.Hardware.Netduino,4.2.0.0 GameduinoTest2,1.0.0.0 I dare say I could erase the device, but won't that erase everything including the boot loader? Not sure I want to do that again unless all else fails.

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

RichardE, What version of the .NET MF SDK do you have installed? Chris

#6 RichardE

RichardE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

I have the "Microsoft .NET Micro Framework SDK 4.2 (RTM)" installed. In my project's properties I have target framework set to ".NET Micro Framework 4.2". I have installed netduinosdk_32bit.exe version 4.2. I am running Windows XP SP3 on an elderly PC with only 512 MB of RAM.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

Hi Richard, The RTM version of the .NET MF SDK may or may not be compatible with the RC1 firmware. You have mail :) Chris

#8 Tom S

Tom S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

I think I am having a similar problem. MFDeploy sees the Netduino, Visual Studio does not. The end of this thread left me wondering if there is an incompatability between the June 2011 Netduino SDK and the 4.2 (RTM) framework. Does anyone have a clear picture of this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.