Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Use IR Remote

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Abdalla

Abdalla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

I wanna use IR Remote to inter Text or String to the Netduino blus,i can use TV Remote

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

Hi Abdalla and welcome to the forums!, Like I said in chat, keep in mind, every brand of TV, sometimes even specific models, have their own IR Protocol, it's not a universal technique. Still, with an IR receiver at the right frequency, you should get some signal I suppose. As Dan kindly pointed out, it requires some research, collect the correct parts, and write some code. Perhaps some people on the boards have experience with this and can point you in the right direction, but it requires quite some research from yourself I think :)
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Bill E.

Bill E.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:34 AM

Hello Abdalla and, Welcome to the forum (As Stefan said). I use IR remote emitters and sensors in my - yet to be sucessful - autonomous bot. The receiver I use is a generic 38khz device and an Osram emitter LED at 980nm (i think) (watch for the IR frequency, the nm or wavelength of the emitter & receiver). Do you want to use a TV remote? Make your own remote? It's all possible. The most common frequency of "modulation" is 38khz. Get an InfraRed receiver LED or transistor which has a relatively wide bandwidth (800nm to 990nm),connect it up to a scope and fire away at it with your TV remote. If any of this confuses you just post back and I will (or the community will) respond. Great question. This is a wonderful lead-in to specification sheets. Good luck! Regards.

#4 Tek10

Tek10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hello Abdalla and, Welcome to the forum (As Stefan said).
I use IR remote emitters and sensors in my - yet to be sucessful - autonomous bot. The receiver I use is a generic 38khz device and an Osram emitter LED at 980nm (i think) (watch for the IR frequency, the nm or wavelength of the emitter & receiver).
Do you want to use a TV remote? Make your own remote? It's all possible.
The most common frequency of "modulation" is 38khz. Get an InfraRed receiver LED or transistor which has a relatively wide bandwidth (800nm to 990nm),connect it up to a scope and fire away at it with your TV remote.
If any of this confuses you just post back and I will (or the community will) respond.
Great question. This is a wonderful lead-in to specification sheets.

Good luck!
Regards.

This is a great post as I'm trying to do something similar. I don't have a scope but will a multimeter work?

I set my meter to hz and what i got from the reciever was .028 k hz when i hit a button the remote. so I guess the meter is not good for measuring this?

#5 Bill E.

Bill E.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:54 AM

As I sit here thinking of how to reply to your question of a "scope" I have to kind of step back and apologize for presuming. As a hardware guy I presume everyone has a scope. A TV remote, as Stefan elaborated on, can be of, oh, maybe 500 different varieties. The basic operation, however, is all the same. Without a scope though this could turn into a real nightmare! I really don't know how you could reverse-engineer a TV remote with a meter. Can you consider a matched set of receiver/transmitter components for your project? It would be possible if you follow the specs of the individual transmitter/receiver parts. It would be simple if you started with a matched set. See my post about "A Hardware Guy Drowning In A Software World". You will find the design files for this. I called it the Collision detector. The components would work for you. Good luck with this. Regards

#6 Tek10

Tek10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:31 AM

See my post about "A Hardware Guy Drowning In A Software World". You will find the design files for this. I called it the Collision detector. The components would work for you. Thanks Bill, I'll have a look. I'm a software guy lost in hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.