Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 erich

erich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

I have been working a project which basically has to be all things to all men - Serial Comms, lots of I/O, Internet access, SD card. We started off with a standard Arduino and Ethernet shield, but this did not have the "buffered" UART - useful Serial comms. We looked at a Chipkit Max32, but whilst it is advertised with Ethernet it requires a second shield the Arduino Ethernet does not work). We also tried out a PIC development board (but I am not an electronic engineer and that made my head hurt too much) We then looked at the Netduino Plus- on the face of it, it has everything - great price, buffered UART - Ethernet, SD Card, plenty of I/O, and it uses - NET MF, as we have lot of .Net code already - we thought we were in business. The prototype was built and I started coding. This is when it started to fall apart - to use my mother's express it was like trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot (too much into too small a space). I would get parts of it going on their own, merge it together and it would stop working sometimes with obvious memory related errors - sometimes it would just die. It has become very frustrating. So to my question - what should I do? 1. Are there tricks I can use to make the use of memory very efficient so I can use Netduino? 2. Go back to one of the other platforms - if so which one? 3. Try a new platform - which one? 4. Go for a bespoke solution rather than off the shelf components?

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Ugh!...It looks as the death would be the only way to solve your problem! I don't know...could you be more specific on your app? I learned that you cannot use the best-practice patterns of a normal PC, because they require lot of resources. You should code much like the C++ way.
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.