Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Driver 8 LEDs with 74HC595 shift register

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paolo Patierno

Paolo Patierno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hello, I know that If I want to drive a LED with a Netduino output pin, I need to use a transistor because Netduino pin has 8 mA max current and a led tipically works with 20 mA. Now I want to drive 8 led using the 74HC595 shift register. I connect a Netduino output pin to serial input of shift register. To connect the LEDs to the 8 output pin of shift register, I need to use some precautions to avoid burn Netduino ?? Can I connect each pin directly to each shift register output pin ? Thanks, Paolo

Paolo Patierno

Microsoft MVP on Windows Embedded & IoT

Azure Advisor

Twitter : @ppatierno
Linkedin : paolopatierno
Blog : DevExperience

Blog : Embedded101
?

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

Now I want to drive 8 led using the 74HC595 shift register.
I connect a Netduino output pin to serial input of shift register.
To connect the LEDs to the 8 output pin of shift register, I need to use some precautions to avoid burn Netduino ??

The Netduino should be alright if wired correctly. You can connect the SPI bus the the shift register directly.

The LEDs can then be connected to the shift register withount endangering the Netduino - assuming that you are powering the shift register with a suitable supply. I used an independent supply for this. If you are using the output from the Netduino then you need to ensure that the power drawn by the Netduino, Shift Register and the LEDs. For 8 LEDs I'd expect you to be alright as the total current drawn for the LEDs would only be 160mA will all of them on (working on 20mA each).

You may need to put a current limiting resistor between the output pin of the shift register and the LED.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 Stefan W.

Stefan W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

The Netduino should be alright if wired correctly. You can connect the SPI bus the the shift register directly.

The LEDs can then be connected to the shift register withount endangering the Netduino - assuming that you are powering the shift register with a suitable supply. I used an independent supply for this. If you are using the output from the Netduino then you need to ensure that the power drawn by the Netduino, Shift Register and the LEDs. For 8 LEDs I'd expect you to be alright as the total current drawn for the LEDs would only be 160mA will all of them on (working on 20mA each).

You may need to put a current limiting resistor between the output pin of the shift register and the LED.

Regards,
Mark

Careful, 74HC595s have low current ratings - http://www.nxp.com/d...74HC_HCT595.pdf says 35ma per pin, but only 70ma total sunk/sourced, so you'd need low-current LEDs (or have them at 8mA each), or add a driver stage after the shift register.
I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.
-- H.L. Mencken, "What I Believe"

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

or add a driver stage after the shift register.

Alternatively, you may consider TI's power registers TPIC6A/B/C595 or xxx596.

#5 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

Alternatively, you may consider TI's power registers TPIC6A/B/C595 or xxx596.

WOW!...Very nice indeed!
Is it relatively easy to find? Any idea about the cost?
It seems designed also for inductive loads (coils, motors), and the G input may be connected to a PWM output so that the output power adjusted!
Much better than the classic 595...
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#6 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

WOW!...Very nice indeed!
Is it relatively easy to find? Any idea about the cost?
It seems designed also for inductive loads (coils, motors), and the G input may be connected to a PWM output so that the output power adjusted!

You can get it in the UK from Proto-Pic - the component page is here. This means it's also probably on SparkFun as well as Proto-Pic look to carry a large amount of SparkFun stock. In terms of cost, the 595's are £0.45 each if bought in 10's, £0.55 each when purchased as singles. The high power version are £1.87 each.

Cheers,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#7 smarcus3

smarcus3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Can you add one of the TI's power registers TPIC6A/B/C595 or xxx596 to a daisy chain of 595s? If so how would it be hooked up?
Steve

My Other Hobby: Engineer Turned Baker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.