Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Concurrent Socket Limitation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mrgadget

mrgadget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHawkes Bay, New Zealand

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

Hi, So finally after having my N+ sitting around for a few months I found some time to play with it. Very cool. But I have an issue with concurrent sockets. When ordering it, I did some googling and found a few sites/threads saying that wiznet had a limitation of 4 sockets, but the Plus doesn't use that so isn't subject to that limitation... So, I write essentially a TCP concentrator app (multiple devices talk to the netduino, which in turn talks to multiple (other) devices (these only allowing a single connection, hence the requirement). Imagine my surprise when I can only get 4 clients connected to it - then I go and try to make an outbound connection from it, and it closes one of the connected clients to make the outbound connection! Is it a problem with System.Net.Sockets.Socket? I have coded the app to allow 5 simultaneous inbound devices, and 10 outbound connections (15 total), but can never get more than 4. Any ideas? :)

#2 mrgadget

mrgadget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:59 AM

Further to this - each socket is on it's own thread too - so is that perhaps the limitaion? Is there a thread count max? Cheers, Ben.

#3 mrgadget

mrgadget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

No-one? I'd really like to nail this one... Cheers, Ben.

#4 Dan T

Dan T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBoston (Greater)

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

Sorry for the silence... but I just ran across this in file Opt.h in the N+ source code: /** * MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB: the number of simulatenously active TCP connections. * (requires the LWIP_TCP option) */ #ifndef MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB //#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB 16 #define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB 5 #endif Seems relevant. :( Hope it helps.

#5 mrgadget

mrgadget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hi Dan Thanks for the reply. That does indeed look relevant - so is that a limitation of 5 connections restricted by current netduino firmware? Do I have any options here or do I have to look at a different board? :( Cheers, Ben.

#6 Dan T

Dan T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationBoston (Greater)

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

Yes. It looks like the restriction is 5 simultaneous connections in V4.2 RC3. It might have been 16 in some earlier build.

I do not know if you have any options. I'm still a newb on most of this stuff.

The following is pure speculation:
The Opt.h file is part of the networking code. I found it in
..\SourceCode_Netduino_AllEditions_4.2.0.0_RC3\DeviceCode\pal\lwip\lwip_1_3_2\src\include\lwip

It is full of similar variables whose value has been reduced. My guess is this was done to reduce the memory footprint of the lwip stack. (N+ is a bit memory starved.) If you were so inclined, you could try changing the value and recompiling your own custom firmware. This is NOT a task for a beginner - and I've have not tried it... but the hotshots talk about it like it's simple enough. Here are the not-too-detailed instructions that came with the Netduino source code download:

To build the Netduino Firmware v4.2.0 (release candidate 3):

1. Install the .NET Micro Framework 4.2 RTM Platform Kit
2. Copy these files over the Platform Kit (typically into C:\MicroFrameworkPK_v4_2)
3. Compile the desired Netduino solution

Good luck. Let us know what you learn, good or bad.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi mrgadget, Sorry that I didn't see this thread earlier... Threads are very lightweight in .NET MF. You can have lots of them--but they each require a bit of RAM and of course some clock cycles. Generally speaking, make as many as you'd like. Chris

#8 mrgadget

mrgadget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

Hi Chris, Thanks for the response. Unfortunately threads aren't my issue. My issue with the the 5-socket networking limitation which appears to be a firmware limitation that's been introduced. I'll look at what's involved in compiling my own firmware, if that will indeed fix my issue - would simply changing that in the source code allow multiple connections? Cheers, Ben.

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

Hi Ben, Yes, you can certainly change that constant and recompile (although the free GCC compiler tends to create larger firmware). That should increase the simultaneous number of connections. [Dan...these are the same settings used in the .NET MF 4.1 firmware; the 16 is commented out because that was the default setting before memory tuning.]. Chris

#10 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:40 AM

My issue with the the 5-socket networking limitation which appears to be a firmware limitation that's been introduced.

Wow, what a coincidence. I was just debugging why my UDP based set-time function worked on startup, but then not subsequently. It would crash on the new socket constructor. Strange. Then, I disabled another part of my code that happens to open a socket listener and the set-time started working again. I had just read this thread and immediately thought... I am running out of sockets! By my count, I had been using 3 UDP and 1 TCP. So I made the change suggested by Dan T, but it didn't work, although I don't know why not. Then I opened the Network_defines_lwip.h file and bumped up the TCP and UDP sockets and EUREKA! It works. I agree that the 5 is a bit too contrained. Maybe 10 would be a better number. Here is how I changed the file... (notice thechange from "min" -> "default")

#ifdef NETWORK_MEMORY_PROFILE_LWIP__small
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEM_SIZE                        MEM_SIZE__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEMP_NUM_PBUF                   MEMP_NUM_PBUF__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB                MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB__default
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB                MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB__default
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB_LISTEN         MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB_LISTEN__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEMP_NUM_TCP_SEG                MEMP_NUM_TCP_SEG__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEMP_NUM_SYS_TIMEOUT            MEMP_NUM_SYS_TIMEOUT__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEMP_NUM_NETBUF                 MEMP_NUM_NETBUF__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__MEMP_NUM_NETCONN                MEMP_NUM_NETCONN__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__PBUF_POOL_SIZE                  PBUF_POOL_SIZE__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE               PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__TCP_MSS                         TCP_MSS__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__TCP_SND_BUF                     TCP_SND_BUF__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__TCP_SND_QUEUELEN                TCP_SND_QUEUELEN__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__TCP_WND                         TCP_WND__min
    #define PLATFORM_DEPENDENT__TCP_SNDLOWAT                    TCP_SNDLOWAT__min
#endif

Anyway, that worked. Getting everything setup to build firmware is a real hassle, but there is enough info in this forum to put the pieces together.

Chris -- I would really love to see this limit get a little bump up in the release...

-Valkyrie-MT

#11 mrgadget

mrgadget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

Valkyrie-MT, thats great news you got it to work - gives me a known end-point to work to! Did you have to make Dan's change as well as yours? Your code doesn't show a count (just 'default'), how many did you end up with? Cheers, Ben.

#12 Valkyrie-MT

Valkyrie-MT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

...how many did you end up with?

No, I did not make Dan's change. Just the one I mentioned.

From the config file:

/* MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB: the number of UDP protocol control blocks. One per active UDP "connection". */
#define MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB__min               4
#define MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB__default           8
#define MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB__max               16

/* MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB: the number of simulatenously active TCP connections. */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB__min               5
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB__default           16
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB__max               32

As you can see, UDP went from 4 to 8 and TCP went from 5 to 16.

Oddly, I still don't know how I ended up running out... I should have had just enough for what I was doing. But with these settings, I have more breathing room... Also, this may help my rudimentary web server queue up the incoming requests... I will have to test that.

Ultimately, RC3 is a HUGE improvement over RC2 which hung on the constructor. Now with RC3, we get an exception we can handle!

-Valkyrie-MT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.