Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

State of ND+ 4.1.1 Beta vs 4.2 RC firmware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cabadam

Cabadam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

I just got my Netduino Plus yesterday. Got the networking setup within minutes. Next thing I needed was SD card - but I only had an 8GB card sitting around, so I looked at the newer beta firmware (it had 4.1.0.6 on it originally). Seeing all the notes about driver problems and bluescreen errors with the 4.2 RC firmware and .NET MF4.2 (I am running Win7 x64), I decided to instead go with the 4.1.1 Beta firmware. That made the SD card work... but as I've gone on and continued working with it, I seem to lose the ability to communicate with the ND+ over USB all the time. By communicate, I mean VS2010 will fail to deploy (either hang up altogether, or sometimes eventually return an error "Device not found or cannot be opened - USB:NetduinoPlus". MFDeploy fails to ping the device, returning Error: No response from device. It seems like SOMETIMES unplugging the ND+ (only powered via USB right now) and plugging it back in fixes the problem. But sometimes not. I then had to fall back to this procedure: http://netduinohacki...duino-plus.html That, so far, has seemed to always get me back up and running. But, I can only seem to get 1 or 2 "deploys" from Visual Studio before it stops working again. Any suggestions on how I can keep this working more consistently? Which firmware should I really be using? Based on it's name (Beta vs RC) it seems the 4.2 firmware might be more release-ready than the 4.1.1 series? I did not do any extensive work with the ND+ with it's original firmware. I do also have a regular ND with 4.1.0.6, and I do not seem to have these issues with that. Thanks, Adam

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hi Adam, If you erase the app which is currently on your Netduino Plus, do you still have troubles deploying from Visual Studio? The .NET MF 4.2 RC1 build appears to be quite stable. There are some glitches in the USB driver...but as long as you aren't affected by those then you're okay. There's also more RAM available in the 4.2 build :) Chris

#3 Cabadam

Cabadam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:59 AM

Yeah - erasing the currently deployed app is I think what the above link had me do. That does fix it, but only temporarily. 4.2 - The glitches in the USB driver affect communication via USB, or is this the periodic blue screens while debugging? I may give it a try. I guess worst case is I rollback to 4.1...

#4 Cabadam

Cabadam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

Just upgraded to 4.2 RC2 MF (4.2 RC1 firmware) - that resolved a OutOfMemory problem I had been running into. Still running into cases where I have to completely unplug the Netduino Plus and then plug it back in for it to deploy though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.