Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Need help with PC-Netduino communication

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:48 AM

Since Netduino cannot talk to the Internet yet (or am I wrong about that?), I'd like to write a .NET app on my PC and have it talk to the Internet and relay the data to the Netduino.
Communicating with the Internet is not an issue, but communication between PC and Netduino is.

I found this serial port communication, but it requires a special serial cable from Netduino Pins.GPIO_PIN_D6 and Pins.GPIO_PIN_D7 to the PC serial port.
http://forums.netdui..._1072#entry1072

On the Arduino, I can send/receive through a virtual COM port through the usb port. How do I do this on the Netduino?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

Hi hari, We're working up a sample doing this through an HID USB connection...but if you use USB for communication you'll need to use D0/D1 for debugging (using the serial firmware). I'd recommend buying a USB-to-TTL cable for now, and using pins D0/D1 (COM1) or D1/D2 (COM2) to communicate between the Netduino and your PC. We're also looking at ways to provide both deploy/debug _and_ communication between desktop-and-Netduino using a single USB connection...but nothing firm today. There are some tricky driver issues to overcome there. You _can_ send data from your Netduino to your PC using Debug.Print--it's just the other direction (PC to Netduino) that's tricky. Chris

#3 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:16 AM

We're working up a sample doing this through an HID USB connection...but if you use USB for communication you'll need to use D0/D1 for debugging (using the serial firmware).
You _can_ send data from your Netduino to your PC using Debug.Print--it's just the other direction (PC to Netduino) that's tricky.

I'd be happy to beta test it. :-)

Also, how do I capture Netduino's Debug.Print output from a .NET app running on the PC?

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:24 AM

I'd be happy to beta test it. :-)

Also, how do I capture Netduino's Debug.Print output from a .NET app running on the PC?

Your enthusiasm is really fantastic. We'll post the HID code here on the forums in the next little while. No dates yet, but we're working on it...

To capture the Debug.Print output in a .NET app, you'd probably need to use the MFDeployEngine library. You can view the output in MFDeploy by pressing F5 to create a connection to a Micro Framework device.

#5 pjnowak

pjnowak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

Any update on the HID project yet? Is there a spot we can go to get updates. I would be interested in being a beta testers as well.

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

Any update on the HID project yet?

Is there a spot we can go to get updates. I would be interested in being a beta testers as well.

Hi pjnowak,

Welcome to the Netduino community!

We're close, but not quite there. The new firmware which allows you to switch between USB and serial deployment (v4.1.0.5) is done. The USB HID code for PC and device is done. The final piece if updating the Atmel USB code in .NET MF to support the custom communication channel; it'll take a bit to get that done (between the community, us, Microsoft, and Atmel) but a few of us are hacking away at it still...

Thanks for your enthusiasm! I'll post here when we have some code to play with.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.