Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Variable length SPI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sweetlilmre

sweetlilmre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

I have a device that uses a SPI-like clock / data mechanism, however the transfer length depends on what form of command you are sending to the device. This makes standard SPI 8/16 bit transfers impossible. For certain commands though the device has a 'bulk' write option that is 8 bits wide.

I have taken adavantage of this on a PIC by bit-banging in the non 8-bit commands and then using SPI to handle the bulk transfers. This really speeds up communication, but unfortunately I can't seem to replicate this behaviour on the NetDuino as once I initialise SPI the SPI pins are not longer available to write to manually i.e.

SPI.Configuration conf = new SPI.Configuration(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D4, false, 0, 0, false, true, 1000, SPI.SPI_module.SPI1);
SPI SPI_port = new SPI(conf);

OutputPort _clkPin = new OutputPort(Pins.GPIO_PIN_D13, true);

causes an exception CLR_E_PIN_UNAVAILABLE.

Is there someway to get around this or perhaps I am looking at this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance
-(e)

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi sweetlilmre,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the Netduino community!

We're looking at adding variable-bit SPI as a feature in the Netduino firmware. If you want to make the modifications in the source code yourself, you're welcome to do so. You can find the source on the downloads page.

Chris

#3 sweetlilmre

sweetlilmre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

Hi sweetlilmre,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the Netduino community!

We're looking at adding variable-bit SPI as a feature in the Netduino firmware. If you want to make the modifications in the source code yourself, you're welcome to do so. You can find the source on the downloads page.

Chris

Hi, and thanks for the welcome, seems like a great community to be part of :)

I'll take a look at the the SPI stuff, but driver level code is an unknown for me at this point.
The device in question works, but slowly. I will release the code to drive it shortly and then upgrage to SPI when it becomes available.

Out of interest is there a reason why the SPI driver locks the SPI pins? Is this at the framework level i.e. unavoidable?
The reason I ask is that variable SPI could be implemented at the user level in an emulated context if this was not the case.

I know this is the worst kind of question, but do you have any info on:
  • A beta of the firmware with the variable SPI feature (I would be keen to assist in testing)
  • An estimation on release date

Thanks
-(e)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.