Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

XBee grows up, delivers WiFi to DIYers and Arduino enthusiasts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davidlt

davidlt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:20 AM

Good news DIYers, XBee now comes in WiFi flavors. The favorite wireless module of Arduino tinkerers everywhere is growing up and adding 802.11n to its normal compliment of RF and ZigBee options. Development kits are available now starting at $149 per board, with add-on modules like embedded or wire antennas and RF connectors clocking in at $49. It might not seem like a big deal to some of you out there, but anyone who's contemplated building a Tweet-a-Watt or a Yarn Monster will appreciate being able skip adding a ZigBee adapter to their PC. Check out the PR after the break.

More: http://www.engadget....no-enthusiasts/

It's cheaper comparing to WiFly and maybe easier to use on Netduino? IBSS (Ad-Hoc: create and join) and BSS networks are supported

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:28 AM

Very interesting!

#3 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

Looks interesting indeed! Wifi is one of the most used wireless networking systems, together with bluetooth. Hopefully it will be an affordable solution.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#4 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:32 AM

A week ago I read an article about the future trend of the tech. It says that, within the next decade, several wireless techs like Zigbee and similar, will be superseded by the lo-power wi-fi. The article also preview a huge diffusion of those kind of connections (IPv6) within the 2020. A couple of years ago, I heard something like that. The article confirmed the rumors of the past. Maybe this is the first step. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.