Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Diffusing LEDs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 monewwq1

monewwq1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hi all, I am using some small LEDs for a project, and the goal is to create a small light fixture. I am trying to find a good material to use to diffuse the light from the LEDs. I have looked at theatrical gel filters, but these are flimsy and impermanent. Is there a way to use a piece of Lexan and coat it with diffusion material? If so, what diffusion material would work best? Or is there some kind of plastic like Lexan that already has a suitable diffusion coating? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#2 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

I don't understand what's your goal, anyway I heard sometime solution base on optical-fibers. I can't help you further! Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

I am trying to find a good material to use to diffuse the light from the LEDs.

Well, it mostly depends on the design, but you could also diffuse the LED with fine sandpaper, or use plexiglass - it is available with various textures, for example as replacement panels for fluorescent fixtures, or can be easily 'frosted' with sandpaper too.

#4 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

Cut off the top of the LED. See, http://www.uchobby.c...l-led-diffuser/ Baxter

#5 Chris Seto

Chris Seto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

+1 on sandpaper, or use a defusing material such as a paper ball (probably not suited for this application).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.