Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

What's included and what's not?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

I haven't received my Netduino yet, but I got a feeling that I would still be as confused even after I receive the hardware. My confusion revolves around what is included in the Netduino firmware and what is not. If I see a class in .net microframework documentation, does that mean it would be available on Netduino? If not, how do I find out which is included and which is not? Can I read a USB keyboard from my NETMF code? Retrieve a page from the Internet?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:44 AM

I haven't received my Netduino yet, but I got a feeling that I would still be as confused even after I receive the hardware.
My confusion revolves around what is included in the Netduino firmware and what is not.
If I see a class in .net microframework documentation, does that mean it would be available on Netduino? If not, how do I find out which is included and which is not?
Can I read a USB keyboard from my NETMF code? Retrieve a page from the Internet?

Hi hari,

The Netduino has the following hardware features (all of which you can use from your code):
GPIOs -- digital inputs and outputs
Analog Inputs
PWM
SPI
I2C
2 UARTs (SerialPorts)
USB Device capabilities (turn your Neduino into a mouse, custom HID device, etc.)

For reading a USB Keyboard or retrieving a page from the Internet, you'll need to add an accessory shield and you'll need some C# drivers. The Netduino community has been building quite a few (servo control, GPS parsers, etc.) and is working on more (OneWire support, networking, etc.). Netduino is only 3.5 weeks old and we've already seen some pretty amazing things from users.

Chris

#3 hari

hari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:54 AM

Hi hari,

The Netduino has the following hardware features (all of which you can use from your code):
GPIOs -- digital inputs and outputs
Analog Inputs
PWM
SPI
I2C
2 UARTs (SerialPorts)
USB Device capabilities (turn your Neduino into a mouse, custom HID device, etc.)

For reading a USB Keyboard or retrieving a page from the Internet, you'll need to add an accessory shield and you'll need some C# drivers. The Netduino community has been building quite a few (servo control, GPS parsers, etc.) and is working on more (OneWire support, networking, etc.). Netduino is only 3.5 weeks old and we've already seen some pretty amazing things from users.

Chris

Thanks for the prompt and clear answer Chris!
I created a table comparing Arduino, Netduino, and FEZ Panda.
Please let me know if I need to make any corrections. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.